Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
I just started using flikr and wanted to put up a picture from it, what format do I use to do this? On the flikr site there's no "direct link" or anything similar that I see.

go to "all sizes" above the picture and go to the bottom of the page and there is a link. Put that link in

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
go to "all sizes" above the picture and go to the bottom of the page and there is a link. Put that link in tags and you are set to go![/QUOTE]

Thanks! Now to test how I can mess up simple instructions . . .

I took this photo in Puerto Rico awhile ago. I dunno why I like it, probably because it reminds me of Puerto Rico :). They had lots of streets made of blue bricks, it was really neat to see.

[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3297/3406799391_6092fb2f06_b.jpg

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Shot from Spanish Head, Lincoln City, OR with the el-cheapo Panasonic Lumix LZ8.

P1020126.JPG

Model: Panasonic Lumix LZ8
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/500 sec
Aperture: 4.0
Focal Length: 5.8mm

What are you doing with that Pany that you're getting terrific shots? RAW and post?

Probably more talent... ;)

I had a Pany FZ8 and I couldn't get it to co-operate for the life of me.... :eek:

(ended up moving to an Olympus dSLR system :D - had to justify it to myself somehow... ;))

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
This to go along with my other bee macro shot. Same subject, same camera, but everything else is changed, different yard, different bee and flowers, different lens. The other was with a 80-200mm and 2x TC this is with a 24-85mm that has a "Macro" ability 1:2 with an extension tube (i don't recall the length). No crop.

3407187581_b56650cb11_b.jpg

joe.cavers

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
This to go along with my other bee macro shot. Same subject, same camera, but everything else is changed, different yard, different bee and flowers, different lens. The other was with a 80-200mm and 2x TC this is with a 24-85mm that has a "Macro" ability 1:2 with an extension tube (i don't recall the length). No crop.

3407187581_b56650cb11_b.jpg

Wow, that's awesome. I really wanna do shots like this.

JC

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
Do you know what time frame the hall was built?

The ruins are of a seventeenth century farmhouse, but there may have been buildings on the site going back to the fifteenth century.

KGB

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
C&C appreciated! *clickable*

I like the concept of this one, but it's kinda hard to pinpoint where the focus is (is it the board closest to the bottom of the frame, or the one on top?), and my eye has nothing to settle on. Eventually I tried to settle on the flower, being the brightest object but that's not in focus either. I really like what you're going for, though. I'd just prefer it with something that your eye can attach to, or at least have something clearly focused on the track.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
What are you doing with that Pany that you're getting terrific shots? RAW and post?

Probably more talent... ;)

I had a Pany FZ8 and I couldn't get it to co-operate for the life of me.... :eek:

(ended up moving to an Olympus dSLR system :D - had to justify it to myself somehow... ;))
Thanks for the compliment... but not so much talent as perhaps years of struggling with tricky lighting scenes. The Pany likes to over-expose by quite a bit in this type of scene, so I try a -3/4 to -1 stop compensation, and then shoot several shots exposing for the brightest part of the sky (usually the sun.) This can give me a fairly dark shot, but keep the highlights in a much more acceptable range. Of course, there's no RAW files with this little LZ8, but a little pp for good measure to bump contrast while still holding highlights down (at least as much as possible) to see what comes out. It's really all just experimenting. Sometimes it works... if I'm lucky. :)

I have to admit, the Oly dSLR system is looking like a cool alternative to the Canon/Nikon mainstream. They've got some good ideas. You made a good choice there.

The ruins of Crackpot Hall... with the best view in the Yorkshire Dales...

crackpothall.jpg

John, errr... Professor. Of course, I always love your landscape style - very timeless feeling, lovely colors, sometimes popping, but other times subtle, almost pastel-ish. In this particular shot (and I've seen it in others, but it seems more pronounced here) it appears as if you've done some noise-reduction. It just seems smeared, somehow... or some might describe it as very, very slightly water-color painted. I'm just curious if maybe I'm not just seeing things (what with the old-age and all affecting my once-pristine eyesight...;)) or if I'm onto something here...? Pray, tell...sir.

C&C appreciated! *clickable*

My first impression is - where are my glasses? Nice idea, but as mentioned above, where's the subject? If you had done the same shot, but stopped it down to find a hyper-focal setting where everything was sharp, I'd have liked it better. My eyes want to roll on down the tracks, and explore the background, which just makes me feel blind in this shot. :) I like the idea. Just play around with it more. Cheers.

dannyboi83

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Wales
Cardiff Library

This picture is an abstract from the new Cardiff Libray in the UK, which has only been opened a few weeks, and is a lovely eco building. Its nice to see Cardiff being brought upto the 21st century.

Attachments

• Cardiff Library.jpg
    Cardiff Library.jpg
    756 KB · Views: 164

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Ooooh... I could sit there for hours. Wonderful shot. Do you know what time frame the hall was built?

Thank you. Yes, it's a wonderful spot. It seems a long way from anywhere, yet it's just half an hour's walk from the nearest village.

Crackpot Hall is a farmhouse, dating from the 1700s, with barns - for animals - attached to both ends of the building, and sharing the same roof-line. There were lead mines nearby, which provided as much much employment in the area as farming. Ironically, it was mining subsistence that destroyed Crackpot Hall, and it was abandoned more than 50 years ago.

John, errr... Professor. Of course, I always love your landscape style - very timeless feeling, lovely colors, sometimes popping, but other times subtle, almost pastel-ish. In this particular shot (and I've seen it in others, but it seems more pronounced here) it appears as if you've done some noise-reduction. It just seems smeared, somehow... or some might describe it as very, very slightly water-color painted. I'm just curious if maybe I'm not just seeing things (what with the old-age and all affecting my once-pristine eyesight...;)) or if I'm onto something here...? Pray, tell...sir. .

Most of the pix I've been posting on MR have been taking with one camera/lens combination: Nikon D200 & the 'kit' 18-70mm. This could be a limitation, though, for me, it seems to be fine: ie one less thing to think about when I'm taking pix.

I appreciate that lenses deliver slightly different 'qualities': more than just the change in focal length, etc. So my pix probably share a 'look' because they're nearly all taken with the 18-70. Because I sell my pix through a picture library (Alamy), I shoot on a tripod. This seemed to be the best way to meet Alamy's technical criteria with what most people would call an inferior lens. The tripod, too, would be a limitation for many people, but I've grown to enjoy the way it frees me up when I'm shooting. I often 'lock in' a composition, and shoot a series of pix over, say, an hour: more like shooting a film of an event than individual pix.

The lens wouldn't win any prizes for sharpness, but, with a tripod and appropriate apertures, I try to get the best out of it. So it's critical focussing and no camera shake (something that's hard to guarantee, hand-held, even with more expensive lenses). Also, I try to further the illusion of sharpness by, say, showing the subject lit against a shadowed background. If a pic looks sharp, then, to all intents and purposes, it is sharp... :)

For landscape pix I like part sun/part cloud conditions, which naturally provide more colour saturation (it's the difference, say, between a spotlight and a bare bulb hanging from the ceiling). So, Phil, my pictures will share a 'look' even before I start thinking about developing a personal style. I don't do any noise reduction, because, shooting at 100 ISO, there isn't any noise. And my PP is limited to tweaking the sliders in Aperture (shadow, contrast, exposure, saturation) as little as possible.

I don't know about the 'water colour' effect you mention, though the use of light and shade in my pix might make them look a bit 'painterly'.

I've expanded my kit with the addition of a 50mm 1.8, which gives a different 'feel' topic: something lighter, more etherial. And certainly sharper. It's just taking me time to get used to it.

It's fun to try something new; but it's also fun to get to know a simple camera/lens combo, so I can be more mindful of the scene in front of me than the equipment. I don't want to get into the mindset of assuming I'd take better pix if only I had a newer camera, faster lens, etc. When the pix don't come out as I want, the weak link in the photographic chain is likely to be me... :)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
More point 'n shoot...

Another shot from the same spot, same time as the last one I posted. Again, taken with the very inexpensive little Lumix LZ8.

P1020143.JPG

Model: Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/200 sec
Aperture: 5.2
Focal Length: 10mm

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
great pics everyone! I'm encouraged to find such a diverse and talented photo community here! I've never looked at this forum before!

Here's my addition:

3396809127_7e9edc8e19_o.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.