Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Blue Bells at Mad Rock, NL

4515612920_fd8a6482dd_o.jpg

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
I'm no cat lover (those teeth look sharp...), but I do like the pic. I actually read the caption before the pic loaded... so was, er, expecting something racier... :eek:

I hesitate to make this comment and I hope I won't offend anyone, but it's still girl-on-girl....

Regarding my post on the previous page, the juxtaposition of the intertwining paws (which suggests a loving relation) with the baring of the teeth (clearly not a friendly behavior) makes the image work for me. The two cats both love and hate each other, often alternating fairly rapidly. Or to be more honest, they love each other but have very strong instincts that entice them to continually enter into conflict.

Fight mode:

4515983436_395a8ba736.jpg

Grooming mode:

4515351049_1dbc61a42c.jpg

Sleep mode:

4515354373_08c4e2c2dd.jpg

All of these shots were taken in a very short period of time. Love, hate, jealousy, sleep. The gamut of human emotion (well, I didn't really document the jealousy part, have to take my word for it). All alternate fairly rapidly in the mind of a cat. Not all that different from what humans do.

While technically I have violated the one post per day rule, hopefully no one will hold it against me. Seemed to be an acceptable response to Doylem's comments.

Lovely as always. What I have come to expect from you :)

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Yes... my ex-wife used to bring dead mice into the house. On such small incompatibilities can a relationship founder...

So many potential comments on so many levels. Not excepting myself from several of them. I would offer that human behavior isn't really that far removed from animal behavior, despite what our egos would like us to believe. But this isn't really the forum to discuss such matters....

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Note the little one on the left waiting for the imminent arrival of supper...

p1017952107-4.jpg

C&C always welcome.

Looks pretty good, and it looks like it's holding a fish. There's really not much you can do a subject you can't control. Maybe if there's a shot of it with its wings wide open rather than closed.

HDRed Hollywood sign
4517004910_f2d4457c91_b.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS REBEL T2i
Aperture: f/13.0
Focal Length: 51 mm

spitfirejd

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
Magnolia, Delaware, USA
Bringing home the take-out

Looks pretty good, and it looks like it's holding a fish. There's really not much you can do a subject you can't control. Maybe if there's a shot of it with its wings wide open rather than closed.

Yep, got one of those too. And he is holding a fish, hence the original title and the hungry fledgling awaiting his arrival (actually there are 3, but the other 2 aren't visible above the nest).

p845843736-4.jpg

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
Okay, here is another food picture... Hopefully some improvement, otherwise I am going to give up on food pictures for now. At least until I am able to get a book...

4507275894_eb631571c6_o.jpg

Pan seared rockfish, grilled portobello mushrooms, southwestern potato hash, grilled ramps and roasted tomato salsa.

Chef Jay

Right, im not gonna lie... it doesn't look too great! In a friendly, constructive way :)

So heres some pointers!

Firstly, look at other food photography. Look at the lighting, the framing, the depth of field, the colours... and compare it to yours. What do you see differently? To me it looks like a quick snapshot of some food shot on auto with the in camera flash. It doesn't make the food look very appetising, all of the reflections on the food. So...

Try to avoid using the on camera flash, maybe if you can, even use natrual daylight if you have no other flash options. Not the best, but better than that on camera flash! If you are using a flashgun, diffuse the light a little more by pointing it at the ceiling or using home made diffusers.

Stop down the aperture a little more! that little bit of depth of field on food photos always gets me, i think it looks really good :) Also with this, try framing the food better from different angles... just experiment, really try to make the food look desirable. Because at the minute, it just doesn't if im honest... its mainly the flash reflection off the food! It just looks so unnatural and unappetizing.

Good luck to you, i hope i was of help and post some more results soon :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.