Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Mate not wanting to rub it in but being out in the middle of nowhere, in the dark and hearing them calling to each other is squeaky bum time. The bass and power in their roar is unbelievable isnt it? I am totally smitten with them.
Can you bring me one back? A strong male I can take to next weeks meeting with the SS.

Reactions: kenoh

spitfirejd

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
Magnolia, Delaware, USA
Wow, Kenoh! Quite an adventure with the cats. I got to pet some very young white lion cubs in South Africa and what surprised me was how stiff their hair is. They looked so soft and cuddly, but their hair is very wiry.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
An outcast from the current weekly theme contest. I got to go into town with a few participants from my Mindful Photography groups the other night.

Not too shabby for a handheld image taken at 1/10 of a second with no image stabilisation on this lens, leaning over the railing, taken whilst on liveview.

_MG_1870-X3.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 17-40mm f/4 L, Multi-segment Metering, Aperture Priority
ISO 6400, 17mm, f/8, 1/10

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Lol... They ALL fancied me for lunch!

Sorry for two in a day naughtiness but this little fella decided to try the taster menu. He stalked me from behind, jumped on me and worked his way round to the front then playfully "nibbled" my ear - in dog speak, the little beggar bit me! so technically I have survived a Lion attack! ha ha ha

Notice how he has my head locked in with one paw (like a vice!) and is standing on my hand so I couldn't get him off. It looks like he is sat up in front of me but trust me when I say, he had me immobilised. Dew claw in the back of my neck, pinned my hand. I was helpless.

Of course the handler thought it was hilarious and the cubs little sister was just lying there all "whatever!" lol...

View attachment 759738

What a privilege to play with such magnificent beasts. Mrs MacRy got to play with a couple of lion cubs through work a few years back and she was astonished at how powerful there were even at 12 weeks old.

Treasure that moment Ken.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Same bug as yesterday, but with a bit better lighting and context. Which do you prefer?

_DSC6828 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr
Have a suspicion that those things the bug is on are possibly Bird Dropping Spider Egg-sacks! We get them all around our yard, and they have that little hole after the hatchlings have escaped.

Lol... They ALL fancied me for lunch!

Sorry for two in a day naughtiness but this little fella decided to try the taster menu. He stalked me from behind, jumped on me and worked his way round to the front then playfully "nibbled" my ear - in dog speak, the little beggar bit me! so technically I have survived a Lion attack! ha ha ha

Notice how he has my head locked in with one paw (like a vice!) and is standing on my hand so I couldn't get him off. It looks like he is sat up in front of me but trust me when I say, he had me immobilised. Dew claw in the back of my neck, pinned my hand. I was helpless.

Of course the handler thought it was hilarious and the cubs little sister was just lying there all "whatever!" lol...

View attachment 759738
What an experience Ken! Priceless, once in a lifetime stuff! Glad you were able to have it captured to be able to remember it from in later years, and for the family to see too.

Reactions: akash.nu and kenoh

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Have a suspicion that those things the bug is on are possibly Bird Dropping Spider Egg-sacks! We get them all around our yard, and they have that little hole after the hatchlings have escaped.

What an experience Ken! Priceless, once in a lifetime stuff! Glad you were able to have it captured to be able to remember it from in later years, and for the family to see too.

Yeah i agree. It was truly amazing but i have now been told my pictures are boring by my friend. Dont know why he chose to say that. "Nice and crisp, boring subject"
[doublepost=1524808142][/doublepost]
What a privilege to play with such magnificent beasts. Mrs MacRy got to play with a couple of lion cubs through work a few years back and she was astonished at how powerful there were even at 12 weeks old.

Treasure that moment Ken.

Treasured. Thanks. Tell Mrs MacRy that at 5 months the lion was already locking me down with his dew claw at the base of my skull and sizing my head up (licking) for the kill shot. They are incredible tacticians fascinating to watch.
[doublepost=1524809215][/doublepost]
Wow, Kenoh! Quite an adventure with the cats. I got to pet some very young white lion cubs in South Africa and what surprised me was how stiff their hair is. They looked so soft and cuddly, but their hair is very wiry.

Yes! I thought that too! I was surprised because they look fluffy but it is wiry yes. Amazing isnt it?

Last edited:
Reactions: MacRy

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Grabbing some spring sunshine while you can (it's raining here again today)...

Not a Care in The World
by Hugh Russell, on Flickr

Cheers :)

Hugh
Sunshine? Where? And you need to mow that grass.
[doublepost=1524847606][/doublepost]
My first attempt at astrophotography at Zion NP last week.
View attachment 759829
Not too shabby for a first attempt!
[doublepost=1524847678][/doublepost]
117/365 | Surface tension

View attachment 759846
Beautiful as always.

Reactions: kenoh and mollyc

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Looking through the waterfall that juts out of part of the main footbridge in town. The glittery bits in the background are from a highly underused and visually disturbing contentious barge that's used for private (very expensive) soirées in what is supposed to be a public area within the cities parklands.

Just realised this one is an even longer handheld image taken with no image stabilisation than yesterdays meagre 1/10 of a second effort, with this one clocking in at 4/10 of a second!

_MG_1937-X3.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 17-40mm f/4 L, Multi-segment Metering, Aperture Priority
ISO 6400, 40mm, f/9, 4/10 Second

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Mate not wanting to rub it in but being out in the middle of nowhere, in the dark and hearing them calling to each other is squeaky bum time. The bass and power in their roar is unbelievable isnt it? I am totally smitten with them.

Back in college I spent a summer in Berkeley CA (1990) and went to the San Francisco zoo one day. They had (and still do) a building where they brought all the big cats (lions and tigers) into for feeding. This was before they had their "incidents" and you could get fairly close to the cages (between 6 and 8 feet away if memory serves), the floors of which were raised a foot or two compared to where I was standing. So the cats' heads were about chest height. They closed the doors and brought out fresh meat. The sound of the roars was deafening in the enclosed space and you could feel the bass in your bones. One of the few times in my life I've experienced something akin to primal terror--a momentary feeling where time slowed and I was acutely aware of everything going on around me. And my own insignificant place in the universe.

Obviously not the same as being outside with them sans bars or cages. But I kind of get what you were experiencing. They are awesome creatures (in the truest sense of the word--literally inspiring awe).

Reactions: keyrex and kenoh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.