Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Back in college I spent a summer in Berkeley CA (1990) and went to the San Francisco zoo one day. They had (and still do) a building where they brought all the big cats (lions and tigers) into for feeding. This was before they had their "incidents" and you could get fairly close to the cages (between 6 and 8 feet away if memory serves), the floors of which were raised a foot or two compared to where I was standing. So the cats' heads were about chest height. They closed the doors and brought out fresh meat. The sound of the roars was deafening in the enclosed space and you could feel the bass in your bones. One of the few times in my life I've experienced something akin to primal terror--a momentary feeling where time slowed and I was acutely aware of everything going on around me. And my own insignificant place in the universe.

Obviously not the same as being outside with them sans bars or cages. But I kind of get what you were experiencing. They are awesome creatures (in the truest sense of the word--literally inspiring awe).

That sounds amazing. There was an American lady killed in SA 2 years ago. There are signs everywhere saying close windows. She and her husband ignored it .wound the windows down and proceeded to drive into the park. Then stopped next to lions, turned off engine, so electrics were off i.e. no way to get windows up. Anyway, a lioness ultimately managed to pull her out of the car and kill her. Scary stuff and yes that primal fear kicked in.

I think I am happy to be home to nextdoors tabby cat and our Sister in laws Bichon dog. They are wild enough for a while ...

Reactions: keyrex

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
DSC_0279.jpg

Quite a bit of chromatic aberration, but I thought it was a neat macro of a dandelion anyway.

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

Droooooooooooool.....
[doublepost=1524903322][/doublepost]
Ocean Drive at Newport, RI. 135mm lens @ f/9 and ISO 100. 67 sec exposure using a 13 stop ND filter and a circ polarizing filter. Taken on a sturdy tripod but the wind was nasty at the time.

41748890651_2bf3d854c0_h.jpg

Gorgeous!
[doublepost=1524903357][/doublepost]OK, messing with the heavy editing again, trying to make a lion pic look more interesting...

DSCF9027.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Droooooooooooool.....
[doublepost=1524903322][/doublepost]

Gorgeous!
[doublepost=1524903357][/doublepost]OK, messing with the heavy editing again, trying to make a lion pic look more interesting...

DSCF9027.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr
Because of the texture of his face I wonder if a B&W high contrast might suit the image? Show off all those war wounds.

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Because of the texture of his face I wonder if a B&W high contrast might suit the image? Show off all those war wounds.

Good call... let me have another play with it... yes they look awesome dont they?

Apparently the one with the black mane is the boss. This guys mane turned black within 6 months of being brought to the sanctuary so I am guessing he is a bad *ss...

I am conscious that I have caught a kind of dopey look in his eye. He was giving me the death stare but I have missed it in the shot. Unlike the panther where (I think) I got the the "I am going to kill you" look, I have got this guy with the dopey almost Clarence the Cross Eyed Lion look... :-(

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

georgeinnj

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
New Jersey, USA
A nice sunny and warm day, top down, an uncrowded scenic road, and to be behind the wheel of a car like this with your partner. One day, one day.

P1040312 by Lance Randall, on Flickr

Nice, is that a reproduction model? Not sure if you're close to Carlisle PA, but they have a car show in early May dedicated to import models and they have pretty big selection of Porsches showing up, vintage and new. They also have a pretty good turn out for other foreign makes. A few years back they had almost a dozen citroens show up which was stunning for a northeast regional car show.
[doublepost=1524944455][/doublepost]A couple of weeks back the cactus bloomed, which was a surprise since it had bloomed a few months ago.

Cactus.jpg

inkmich

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2016
Maryland
Nice, is that a reproduction model? Not sure if you're close to Carlisle PA, but they have a car show in early May dedicated to import models and they have pretty big selection of Porsches showing up, vintage and new. They also have a pretty good turn out for other foreign makes. A few years back they had almost a dozen citroens show up which was stunning for a northeast regional car show.
[doublepost=1524944455][/doublepost]A couple of weeks back the cactus bloomed, which was a surprise since it had bloomed a few months ago.

View attachment 759945

I attended the Porsche Swap Meet in Hershey, PA last weekend where there were numerous vendors and about a thousand Porsches. I can't imagine anyone showing up with a reproduction but maybe. But not that yellow 356 though. :)

Now that you mention it I have heard of various car shows/events in Carlisle. I just might have to get up there one of these days. If nothing else it would be a nice drive up from Baltimore. Thanks.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I love the sense of movement with the rowers being blurred like this. Had to bracket some frames, closing down the aperture to get just the right amount of blur and was lucky to get this one just how I liked it, before they disappeared under the footbridge that I was standing on.

_MG_1860-X3.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 17-40mm f/4 L, Multi-segment Metering, Aperture Priority
ISO 6400, 27mm, f/8, 1/15

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.