Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Been working all weekend so no time for editing my Wales shots as yet.
Did take this snap earlier though!

IMG_3796.JPG

I immediately thought of my good friends on here who love a spider! He was about 6 inches across.
Sleep well! :D
[doublepost=1523224125][/doublepost]
All of the embellished niches, rusticated columns and volutes create a fascinating play of light and shadow in the hard morning sunlight. Sometimes a photograph begs to be taken.

39515172260_ac3080e8b9_b.jpg
Who says you can't shoot in the midday sun. Lovely image.
[doublepost=1523224197][/doublepost]
Just a pinecone from a Norfolk Pine tree.

40333241015_2d271f5ef9_h.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 17-40mm f/4 L, Multi-segment Metering, Aperture Priority
ISO 100, 40mm, f/4, 1/2000

[doublepost=1523223781][/doublepost]
It's a lot busier than your normal style, Mark. I can see why this may create a bit of a quandary as to whether to post it amongst your other images. I wonder if it could be improved through the removal of the five rocks on the far right mid to lower section? Giving it a little more breathing space on that edge of the frame?

Really nicely done!

Well worth the effort, Nathan!
It might be just a pinecone but you made the most of it. Nice.

lizardofwoz

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Australia
Not a photograph, but photography related...

Where in the world is Doylem?

After Mr Doyle abruptly discarded his old life and became nomadic, he cruised all over Britain in his converted van; his home on wheels. Along the way he produced a series of excellent photographs - many posted here in the Photo of the Day Forum - often of really out-of-the-way places and always with his trademark flawless sense of composition and technical skills.

I realise that this past winter in the UK has been especially harsh and living in a small van might have been very difficult, but I hope that he has come to no harm and will come back to us.

Anyone? Where in the world is Doylem?

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
View attachment 757493

I immediately thought of my good friends on here who love a spider! He was about 6 inches across.
Strewth! You walk away from the computer for a second to make your morning coffee and a bloody huge monster crawls across your screen! Good thing I didn't set fire to the fly spray like normal... :eek:

It might be just a pinecone but you made the most of it. Nice.
Thanks, I quite like its simplicity and soft Summer colours.
[doublepost=1523224780][/doublepost]
I realise that this past winter in the UK has been especially harsh and living in a small van might have been very difficult, but I hope that he has come to no harm and will come back to us.

@Doylem John, where are you? I also hope everything's okay for you, that you've just been hibernating for the Winter and miss your delightful imagery.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Not a photograph, but photography related...

Where in the world is Doylem?

After Mr Doyle abruptly discarded his old life and became nomadic, he cruised all over Britain in his converted van; his home on wheels. Along the way he produced a series of excellent photographs - many posted here in the Photo of the Day Forum - often of really out-of-the-way places and always with his trademark flawless sense of composition and technical skills.

Still travelling - http://broken-cloud.blogspot.co.uk/

Been working all weekend so no time for editing my Wales shots as yet.
Did take this snap earlier though!

View attachment 757493

You nasty bugger. It's only really about 5mm across :D

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Took a snap of my friend's car yesterday.

L1005855-Edit.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

He is on holiday in Lanzarote so thought I would send him a picture of his car to make him homesick.
Can't believe you didn't do something to his car first. Like the fake windscreen crack stickers you can get or a big nsfw bumper sticker!

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Can't believe you didn't do something to his car first. Like the fake windscreen crack stickers you can get or a big nsfw bumper sticker!

Never thought of that! damnit!

I have his keys.... I could move it round to ours so it is missing when he gets home.... that'll put the wind up him... thoughts?

Did that with my dads car once for an April Fool.... quite possibly the closest I have come to being murdered.... so far...

Last edited:

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016
Moonrise
August 2017

The moon rises above Dally Bay, SW Scotland at the end of last summer. That's the purple Belt of Venus descending to the horizon that will eventually become darkness as the night falls.

I'm not 100% about this image for my website / social media pages, so feel free to comment / provide feedback. The EXIF has me wondering what I was up to using the Low ISO 100 option (where I lose 1 stop highlights) and also shooting at f16, where diffraction softness comes into play. I wouldn't be doing that now if I could help it.

Fuji XT-2 with XF 16-55mm f2.8 lens. Might have used a 0.9 Firecrest ND solid filter to extend the shutter time, but can't remember as it was last August.
1min / f16 / ISO 100

View attachment 757435

So beautiful! Don't change a thing.

Fantastic shot.

This long exposure couldn't be more different! Comments always appreciated.

Breakwater 1
by another scotsman, on Flickr
[doublepost=1523214266][/doublepost]
Awesome (again)...

I would clone out those wind turbines or whatever they are at the background. They aren't really visible enough to make out what they are, but they are visible enough to make me lose focus. I actually thought it was a scratch or something on the photo at first. I realize they are "structural" and removing them is somewhat controversial, but they are so faint that I feel like with a different aperture or exposure length, etc. they might not have made it into the photo in the first place. I generally don't remove permanent things from a photo, but I would make an exception for this one for the sake of composition.

Reactions: Mark0

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

I would clone out those wind turbines or whatever they are at the background. They aren't really visible enough to make out what they are, but they are visible enough to make me lose focus. I actually thought it was a scratch or something on the photo at first. I realize they are "structural" and removing them is somewhat controversial, but they are so faint that I feel like with a different aperture or exposure length, etc. they might not have made it into the photo in the first place. I generally don't remove permanent things from a photo, but I would make an exception for this one for the sake of composition.

Really? Excellent, a discussion. I think the opposite. I would add contrast to them to make them a tad more visible. I love images that are misty and mysterious where things become visible the more you stare at them.

One of my favourites are of the Pigeon House in Dublin (its a powerstation). The picture is about 8ft by 6ft on the wall of the AerLingus lounge in Dublin Airport Terminal 2 departures.

The image looks like a picture of a rock in the fog. The rock is in the lower left of the image and is in sharp relief, then the rest of the image just looks like negative space around the rock. However, when you stare at it, details start to emerge about the powerstation, namely the characteristic red and white chimneys of it and the outline. I find it really fascinating - maybe just me. I know I am wired wrong.

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Never thought of that! damnit!

I have his keys.... I could move it round to ours so it is missing when he gets home.... that'll put the wind up him... thoughts?

Did that with my dads car once for an April Fool.... quite possibly the closest I have come to being murdered.... so far...
You have the keys? Well here's a few ideas.

Take the front seats out and put them back in the wrong way round.

Some fish under the bonnet.

Retune the radio stations to anything he won't like.

Jack up the car and put it on bricks but only an inch or so. Keep the bricks hidden behind the wheels. Then when he tries to drive off, his car won't move as the wheels just freewheel.

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK

Really? Excellent, a discussion. I think the opposite. I would add contrast to them to make them a tad more visible. I love images that are misty and mysterious where things become visible the more you stare at them.

One of my favourites are of the Pigeon House in Dublin (its a powerstation). The picture is about 8ft by 6ft on the wall of the AerLingus lounge in Dublin Airport Terminal 2 departures.

The image looks like a picture of a rock in the fog. The rock is in the lower left of the image and is in sharp relief, then the rest of the image just looks like negative space around the rock. However, when you stare at it, details start to emerge about the powerstation, namely the characteristic red and white chimneys of it and the outline. I find it really fascinating - maybe just me. I know I am wired wrong.

That's what it's all about- discussion! As it happens, I generally go with mollyc and wouldn't clone the turbines out but in this case they were almost invisible so why not go for the look Ken is after (changed it on Flickr)?. As it happens, I've another shot where they are more clearly defined but still fade into the mist. That's for tomorrow.

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
You have the keys? Well here's a few ideas.

Take the front seats out and put them back in the wrong way round.

Some fish under the bonnet.

Retune the radio stations to anything he won't like.

Jack up the car and put it on bricks but only an inch or so. Keep the bricks hidden behind the wheels. Then when he tries to drive off, his car won't move as the wheels just freewheel.

Hmm. No that's all a bit cruel... Except the radio thing.. my brother in law had that done to him. Can't say who by... His reaction was priceless.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Hmm. No that's all a bit cruel... Except the radio thing.. my brother in law had that done to him. Can't say who by... His reaction was priceless.
Change the language to Japanese :D
It's devilish difficult to navigate the menus and put it back ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: oblomow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.