Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
A home for the garden fairies ;)

DSC01329-XL.jpg

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
One from this past weekend. We went to Greenbank Gardens in Newton Mearns, Glasgow for an Easter Egg hunt. This is Greenbank House a la Greenbank Gardens. Despite my efforts, I seem to have stood not quite square to the frontage and I cannot work out whether it is squinty or not. I keep playing with the rotation but cannot get it right.

DSCF8311-Edit.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
One from this past weekend. We went to Greenbank Gardens in Newton Mearns, Glasgow for an Easter Egg hunt. This is Greenbank House a la Greenbank Gardens. Despite my efforts, I seem to have stood not quite square to the frontage and I cannot work out whether it is squinty or not. I keep playing with the rotation but cannot get it right.

There's a tiny bit of distortion on the left hand side vertical; that may be making the eye think it's wonky?
If you could pull the edge at the top over a smidge with the perspective tool it may fix it.

Other than that, lovely pic :)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: kenoh

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013

I like it Ken, but go easy on the clarity, the haloing is visible over on the left top section, from that or the contrast being pushed a tad too far.

Are the wings of the building square to the main section or are they curved towards us? They look like they are curved around us.

CC: I would have aimed the lens up a tad bit, to get all of the urns in the frame and then corrected the squareness in PP, playing with the three axis adjustments available in Photoshop and/or Lightroom.

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016
Tell me about it! Beautiful though.

Just the edge of a daffodil and some others blurred behind it. I had a completely different plan in mind for this, but it didn't work out because I couldn't get the angle I wanted. This was a "mistake" photo but I still liked the yellow. :)

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I like it Ken, but go easy on the clarity, the haloing is visible over on the left top section, from that or the contrast being pushed a tad too far.

Are the wings of the building square to the main section or are they curved towards us? They look like they are curved around us.

CC: I would have aimed the lens up a tad bit, to get all of the urns in the frame and then corrected the squareness in PP, playing with the three axis adjustments available in Photoshop and/or Lightroom.

- Guilty on all accounts. I was aiming horizontal to avoid converging verticals and I am gutted I had to cut the urn on the top.

- The wings are curved yes so absolute pigs to get them looking OK. Seems to be a Scottish country house thing as Dumfries House is the same.

- The halos yep damnit... missed that in editing...
[doublepost=1523021124][/doublepost]

This one has me stumped for some reason... lol.. only kidding... good use of DoF

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
- Guilty on all accounts. I was aiming horizontal to avoid converging verticals and I am gutted I had to cut the urn on the top.
I don't stress it about converging verticals, if I'm only sharing on the interwebz it can easily be corrected in PP and no-one will ever know. For printing large, I'll break out the tilt-shift and use the rise facility it has.

- The wings are curved yes so absolute pigs to get them looking OK. Seems to be a Scottish country house thing as Dumfries House is the same.
That explains it!

- The halos yep damnit... missed that in editing...
So do I, still... :oops:

Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I don't stress it about converging verticals, if I'm only sharing on the interwebz it can easily be corrected in PP and no-one will ever know. For printing large, I'll break out the tilt-shift and use the rise facility it has.

That explains it!

So do I, still... :oops:

Too much time trying to get the horizontal straight and missed the damn halos... argh!

Tilt and Shift a bit of a luxury for me I am afraid.... mainly on account of me needing a 5D mk IV to put it on for thoese rare occasions I use it... :p

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK
Too much time trying to get the horizontal straight and missed the damn halos... argh!

Tilt and Shift a bit of a luxury for me I am afraid.... mainly on account of me needing a 5D mk IV to put it on for thoese rare occasions I use it... :p

No 5D mkIV needed Ken - I've used mine on my EOS M3 (with EF-M adapter). Works a treat and the 24mmff gives a very useful 38mm on the crop. There's another excuse for not purchasing out the window :) You were very good at the Photography Show after all...

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

inkmich

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2016
Maryland
Looks like St Cecelia's on 40th Street in Omaha.

Wait, hold on, you've been to Omaha!? Wow! :)

PS I once spent a night in Omaha years ago while on a cross-country trip but I did no sight-seeing as I was anxious to get back home after a summer in CA. Got in late, got up early and spent the next 11 hours on the road driving back home. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm starting to feel the itch to take another one of those extended American road trips (fingers crossed in the 993). Hopefully next year.

Last edited:

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Wait, hold on, you've been to Omaha!? Wow! :)

PS I once spent a night in Omaha years ago while on a cross-country trip but I did no sight-seeing as I was anxious to get back home after a summer in CA. Got in late, got up early and spent the next 11 hours on the road driving back home. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm starting to feel the itch to take another one of those extended American road trips (fingers crossed in the 993). Hopefully next year.

My friend who I worked with in Nottingham moved to the US with his then wife who was American. They lived in Lincoln, NE. I visited a couple of times when over there working. Some things stick in my head. This did because I always wondered why it had a beautiful rounded rear that was hidden away.

Reactions: inkmich
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.