Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nathan King

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2016
Omaha, NE
My friend who I worked with in Nottingham moved to the US with his then wife who was American. They lived in Lincoln, NE. I visited a couple of times when over there working. Some things stick in my head. This did because I always wondered why it had a beautiful rounded rear that was hidden away.

That's awesome! I assumed you got the Flickr link and saw the GPS information in the metadata!

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
That's awesome! I assumed you got the Flickr link and saw the GPS information in the metadata!

Nope. For some reason I knew it as soon as I saw it but I will confess I googled the address. Didn't remember it that accurately. It is the one with that amazing rounded back though isn't it?

I show up all over the place... Thing is I went to all these amazing places before picking up a camera... So I need to do them again.

I am off to Johannesburg for three days at the end of this month, then Rome in May, likely squeeze in another Stockholm or Helsinki trip in between...

Nathan King

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2016
Omaha, NE
Nope. For some reason I knew it as soon as I saw it. It is the one with that amazing rounded back though isn't it?

I show up all over the place... Thing is I went to all these amazing places before picking up a camera... So I need to do them again.

I am off to Johannesburg for three days at the end of this month, then Rome in May, likely squeeze in another Stockholm or Helsinki trip in between...

That's the building. I need to come back on a sunny morning to get a shot of the back. There are several cathedrals with this type of design in the Midwest, but the strong Spanish influence on this one makes it more interesting.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
c23803b122b8d9a5bdae760a2f275fae.jpg

Another pub walk. didn't bring a tripod. grr. Had to use high iso.
Pub is just across the river.
Isn't everything by the river in your country? Nice pano.
[doublepost=1523124585][/doublepost]
Nope. For some reason I knew it as soon as I saw it but I will confess I googled the address. Didn't remember it that accurately. It is the one with that amazing rounded back though isn't it?

All that duty free shopping. Should I notify the airport to stock up on M10's?

Reactions: kenoh

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Isn't everything by the river in your country? Nice pano.

thanks. True, everything is near water or under water level. The downside of living in the delta of Europe. The end of the sewer, as it used to be. The river in the photo is a also used for transportation: 350 ships a day pass here carrying coal, cars, tractors.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
From a special Mindful Photography day-trip programme I put on this Wednesday for the Over 50's crowd in conjunction with a local community arts centre, helping them to use up their grant funding allocated for the older participants to have some social inclusion and artistic endeavours. We were supposed to be going to the hills for the Autumn colours and a couple of waterfalls, but the hired bus didn't turn up and another couldn't be arranged at short notice! So we ended up carpooling to a couple of local beaches, where they all played with using an aperture for the first time to express their creative vision. I was really quite pleasantly surprised as to how quickly this bunch of artists got it and ran with it! Fingers crossed the Autumn colours are still there in three weeks time, when the next day-trip is slated for.

26357297457_6ea3cefe28_h.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 17-40mm f/4 L, Multi-segment Metering, Aperture Priority
ISO 100, 17mm, f/4, 1/3200

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
Moonrise
August 2017

The moon rises above Dally Bay, SW Scotland at the end of last summer. That's the purple Belt of Venus descending to the horizon that will eventually become darkness as the night falls.

I'm not 100% about this image for my website / social media pages, so feel free to comment / provide feedback. The EXIF has me wondering what I was up to using the Low ISO 100 option (where I lose 1 stop highlights) and also shooting at f16, where diffraction softness comes into play. I wouldn't be doing that now if I could help it.

Fuji XT-2 with XF 16-55mm f2.8 lens. Might have used a 0.9 Firecrest ND solid filter to extend the shutter time, but can't remember as it was last August.
1min / f16 / ISO 100

DSCF8377-Edit small PL.png

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Is it spring then? Nice dof.
[doublepost=1523198085][/doublepost]
Moonrise
August 2017

The moon rises above Dally Bay, SW Scotland at the end of last summer. That's the purple Belt of Venus descending to the horizon that will eventually become darkness as the night falls.

I'm not 100% about this image for my website / social media pages, so feel free to comment / provide feedback. The EXIF has me wondering what I was up to using the Low ISO 100 option (where I lose 1 stop highlights) and also shooting at f16, where diffraction softness comes into play. I wouldn't be doing that now if I could help it.

Fuji XT-2 with XF 16-55mm f2.8 lens. Might have used a 0.9 Firecrest ND solid filter to extend the shutter time, but can't remember as it was last August.
1min / f16 / ISO 100

View attachment 757435
I like it. Nice purple colour.
[doublepost=1523198115][/doublepost]
Superb as always.
[doublepost=1523198180][/doublepost]
Rome definitely, South Africa not so sure.
Well enjoy Rome. I last went as a teenager, so about three years ago ;)

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Is it spring then? Nice dof.
Thanks. It was spring the other day when I took this, but now it's raining again. Yesterday was nice though, and the flowers are out now.

dc37b9cabf25a98de25de8660c841367.jpg

A black and white edit. Comments appreciated always.
Nice, I like the high contrast.
The only way I would improve this is by straightening the horizon a little; anti-clockwise.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Last edited:
Reactions: akash.nu

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Moonrise
August 2017

1min / f16 / ISO 100

View attachment 757435

That’s a cracker.

Reactions: Mark0

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK
Moonrise
August 2017

1min / f16 / ISO 100

View attachment 757435
Fantastic shot.

This long exposure couldn't be more different! Comments always appreciated.

Breakwater 1
by another scotsman, on Flickr
[doublepost=1523214266][/doublepost]
Awesome (again)...

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
All of the embellished niches, rusticated columns and volutes create a fascinating play of light and shadow in the hard morning sunlight. Sometimes a photograph begs to be taken.

39515172260_ac3080e8b9_b.jpg

Isnt that juat a really beautiful building!?!?! Very nicely captured.
[doublepost=1523216600][/doublepost]
View attachment 757364
Playing around with my new ND Vario. Seaside.

That is a beautifully lit image. wow!

Reactions: Susurs

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Just a pinecone from a Norfolk Pine tree.

40333241015_2d271f5ef9_h.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 17-40mm f/4 L, Multi-segment Metering, Aperture Priority
ISO 100, 40mm, f/4, 1/2000

[doublepost=1523223781][/doublepost]
Moonrise
August 2017

I'm not 100% about this image for my website / social media pages, so feel free to comment / provide feedback.

View attachment 757435
It's a lot busier than your normal style, Mark. I can see why this may create a bit of a quandary as to whether to post it amongst your other images. I wonder if it could be improved through the removal of the five rocks on the far right mid to lower section? Giving it a little more breathing space on that edge of the frame?

Fantastic shot.

This long exposure couldn't be more different! Comments always appreciated.

Breakwater 1
by another scotsman, on Flickr
Really nicely done!

All of the embellished niches, rusticated columns and volutes create a fascinating play of light and shadow in the hard morning sunlight. Sometimes a photograph begs to be taken.

39515172260_ac3080e8b9_b.jpg
Well worth the effort, Nathan!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.