Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Taken yesterday near the "Wine Road" of Jeruzalem, Slovenia:

RedHouseWhiteRoad.jpg

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I have not posted on here for a long time so I thought I would throw my hat in the ring again.

This spitfire was taken last weekend at the Bristol Balloon Fiesta:

3805113423_d567c15c61.jpg

interesting angle of the Spit. I love Spits. Do you have any more great pics?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I have a pretty lousy tripod, it's such a pain to get level. My viewfinder doesn't have grids, Liveview would have been handy for this. I took some bracketed earlier before the sky was a good blue and the lights were at full bright, but I opted for just a... well, WYSIWYG photo.

I find the Acratech leveling base to be good for getting a tripod level, even though it's not really sturdy enough for my 400/2.8 I usually shoot with it on anyway as I can level in about 2 seconds no matter where in the ground my legs sit. (Up to 10 degrees, I think the Gitzo one is 15, which would be handy, but I wasn't sure about compatibility with my new base plate.)

http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=14

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I think you realize that I said sensor because the majority of users in this forum are familiar with digital technology. You still need light entering the camera to expose film.

But again, we didn't use the term "point of light" on film. Which is why you'll see all of the older material on Bokeh refer to either specular highlights or point sources of light.

As for baud rates (not sure why this is a good analogy), you cannot blame people for what a package says (if it says 9600 baud on the box, would you say differently?).

Yes, I often did say differently- multifrequency modems changed the bit rate not the baud rate- but then at the time and how the transfer speed was attained often had a bearing on what I was doing at the time.

It's a good analogy because it shows that people will misuse a term to the point of re-definition.

I am reading your discussion here and I'm just wondering, are you saying that your blog reference (http://www.roentarre.com/ViewComments.aspx?blg=192) is good for the fact that it mentions highlights, but not good when it refers to bokeh as
? That definition seems to be what Romanaz said way back.

What I am saying is that the blog author is of the "let's have multiple definitions" camp and comes much later than the original definition/usage of the term.

Literal definitions rarely cross language barriers, at the time the term was introduced to the West in the mid-90's there was quite a bit of discussion about trying to encapsulate the meaning- if it simply meant blur, then we'd all say "blur" not "bokeh."

object88

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
... but I just printed a 13x19 of this and I prefer this one artistically.

I like that as well. I'm a fan of that rusted old machinery vibe. I shot this (clickable) one recently.

I don't know if I tweaked it correctly, though. My work computer and my laptop have very different monitors, neither of which are calibrated. So it looks very dark at work, and well exposed at home. Thoughts?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I like that as well. I'm a fan of that rusted old machinery vibe. I shot this (clickable) one recently.

I don't know if I tweaked it correctly, though. My work computer and my laptop have very different monitors, neither of which are calibrated. So it looks very dark at work, and well exposed at home. Thoughts?

Brightness looks ok at 2.2 gamma here- I'd love to see a close-up grill-on shot in the slanted evening light!

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
As in "specular highlight"?;)

You didn't happen to respond to my question regarding the yellow flower example I posted. Guess I'll be ordering the large print from your site.:D

I've already answered it, to revisit the same information over and over is tedious. No, there is no bokeh in the image by the original definition, which was about specular highlights. The definition was then adjusted to point sources, since there is no effective difference in the light rendered through the aperture between a reflected specular highlight and a point source since a specular highlight is one example of a point source. Next people tried to either branch off new definitions by throwing modifiers in front of the term, or to increase its scope to include the pleasantness of the rendering of OOF areas by the aperture of the lens, as in your example, now people are increasingly using it to mean "shallow depth of field." At some point the redefinitions negate the need for the term at all, as we could simply use "blur" and be done with it. At which point of redefinition it becomes pointless, or over-modification it becomes tedious is left as an exercise to the reader, I've already made my position quite clear.

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
got some shots around the county seat, Belvedere, NJ.

only got a few keepers, this is one of the better ones, IMO. CnC as usual, please.

Attachments

• b_town  005.jpg
    b_town 005.jpg
    992.7 KB · Views: 64

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Getting a little more Tilt use out of the rental 45mm TS 2.8, the blur is all optic. I adjusted colors, temp and added a vignette.

lindsay_ts_45.jpg

Canon EOS 20D :: 45 mm :: f 2.8 :: 1/640 sec :: iso 200 :: CA Sunbounce

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
Getting a little more Tilt use out of the rental 45mm TS 2.8, the blur is all optic. I adjusted colors, temp and added a vignette.

lindsay_ts_45.jpg

Canon EOS 20D :: 45 mm :: f 2.8 :: 1/640 sec :: iso 200 :: CA Sunbounce

Nice!! I want to try one out... There's a little bitty hair in the upper left, but cool shot! I played with my friend's TS for like two minutes and wow was it fun!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.