Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Nothing moves very quickly at the Keremeikos (ancient cemetery) of Athens:

TurtleMourning1.jpg

So it can be nice and sunny there! We passed a couple of weeks ago in the pouring rain on the way to Hungary. Funny name for a village in that remote spot.

Yes, it usually is quite sunny here during the summer. You arrived the day we left for about a month, but people told us that there was a freakish series of rainstorms for a couple of weeks straight in Slovenia. Sorry your visit had to coincide with such bad weather. I had the opposite experience where I was: I went almost two weeks without seeing a single cloud in Italy--also not great for photographs.

Wonderful composition. I wonder if coming up a third of a stop or so on the shadows on the right might make the exposure more balanced though?

Thanks for your thoughts, compuwar. I created a larger version with more shadow detail, and it does look better.

mmacnama

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
something different at the beach. constructive criticisms plz!

Canon XSI, kit lens
18mm
f/ 3.5
ISO 100
1/2500

Attachments

• IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 579

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
something different at the beach. constructive criticisms plz!

Canon XSI, kit lens
18mm
f/ 3.5
ISO 100
1/2500

attachment.php

I like where you placed the horizon, and I don't mind the strong symmetry, since the clouds and crashing waves help to offset it. There are three things that I find distracting, however: the oversaturated sky, the shadows and intruding dark object at the left side of the frame, and the fact that the surfboard's logo is not in focus. The logo is the obvious "home base" for the eye as it scans the frame, so it should be in sharp focus.

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
My last post on the matter...

No, there is no bokeh in the image by the original definition, which was about specular highlights.

This web site may help clarify what I have been saying:http://www.arecintophotography.com/tutorials/all-about-bokeh

It has a clear distinction between DOF/OOF areas and Bokeh. As he points out, bokeh is easiest to achieve with a strong light. But, as I have been saying, he also notes that bokeh can be achieved without the strong light as it is the achievement of the circular/polygonal shapes that define the bokeh. By his professional description and understanding, that flower shot renders a nice bokeh. It even illustrates the "donut" shapes you talked about in an earlier post.

(image attached again for reference)

I understand you find my return the this discussion tedious, so this is my last post on the matter. I tire, as well, trying to get you to see my point of view.

Attachments

• bokeh.jpg
    bokeh.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 77

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
Manhattan NY
The color got a little screwed up upon export from Iphoto. Check my Flickr for a better version.

Attachments

• DSC_0122.jpg
    DSC_0122.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 87

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Moss

Saw this mossy moss in the bush out behind the house... used Aperture to play with the raw file. Only have the one lens so nothing spectacular here. BJ

Attachments

• Moss.jpg
    Moss.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 66

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
BarryJ said:
Only have the one lens so nothing spectacular here.

Nothing wrong with having one lens. However many lenses we own, we only ever use one at a time... ;)

Sometimes it can even be a bonus: one less thing to think about, one less decision to make....

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
Heres my first post in the photo section!

How does everyone like it? (Click for better size with full quality)

DSC00362.jpg

background is a bit brighter then subject, and it stands out more then the subject. My eye is drawn to the palm tree in the back. I would have framed it a bit different myself, but its not bad.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I was surprised by how my camera captured this image. Didn't see the shadowing until I offloaded it into the PC. I quite like it a lot.
3821579845_9707c1a968_b.jpg

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
not sure if its because i live in las vegas, but this pic just seems off. not that its a bad pic... i dont know how to really explain it... :confused:

I was a snapshot, using a Canon SD790IS handheld against the cage. I wasn't going for perfection.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Hmm I don't know about the usage of the TS on that one. Do you have one with a regular lens cause I think the shot would be really nice without it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.