Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
While walking the dusty streets of Todos Santos, Baja California Sur, we came across a veterinarians office, where a prudent pooch was hanging out on the corner.

DSC_3162.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/320 sec
Aperture: f/9.0
Focal Length: 18mm

Do you have a link to more pics of the Baja? One of my favorite places in the world! Were you there riding, or surfing?

Optimus Rhyme

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
London, UK
Just taken this evening down on English Bay in Vancouver. I got home and looked out my window to notice a beautiful sunset, but didn't quite get down there fast enough to catch the best part. I wanted to do an HDR of it, but I wasn't down on the beach in time. Oh well, next time :D

Attachments

• sunset.jpg
    sunset.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 135

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
Well, it ain't my pic, so I don't know... but I think they're that bane of 21st century life: white shopping bags...

I really like the contrast: the in-focus fence and the 'thrashing of the bags in the wind... if that's what they are.

Am I right?

Indeed you are.
Loose plastic caught up in a barbed wire fence. They look a little cotton-ish because of the motion between frames.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

I like this shot better than the one you posted yesterday. I thought there was too much bare foreground in it. This one sems stronger for the tighter composition and crop. Very evocative...

Indeed you are.
Loose plastic caught up in a barbed wire fence. They look a little cotton-ish because of the motion between frames.

So a shot with a message too. So many white plastic bags loose in the world: just one more way that mankind is casually screwing up the planet... :(

The only time my car's been this shiny was the day it was made... :)

Great shot... made better by the tight cropping and no extraneous detail...

Was it 'seen' or 'set up'?

Just taken this evening down on English Bay in Vancouver. I got home and looked out my window to notice a beautiful sunset, but didn't quite get down there fast enough to catch the best part. I wanted to do an HDR of it, but I wasn't down on the beach in time. Oh well, next time :D

It's still a pleasant mood.

I know the feeling well: by the time you see the sunset at its best, it's too late to go much further than your own back yard.

I notice there's a kind of 'posterisation' happening with the sunset area, and I've noticed it with pix of my own... like this one...

sunsetjv7.jpg

Film used to handle this sort of subject better, I think. Is this simply a limitation of digital photography that will diminish in time?

Optimus Rhyme

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
London, UK
It's still a pleasant mood.

I know the feeling well: by the time you see the sunset at its best, it's too late to go much further than your own back yard.

I notice there's a kind of 'posterisation' happening with the sunset area, and I've noticed it with pix of my own... like this one...

sunsetjv7.jpg

Film used to handle this sort of subject better, I think. Is this simply a limitation of digital photography that will diminish in time?

I live only 5 minutes walking distance to the beach so usually it's not a problem capturing many shots, but in this case I had just finished eating down the road and had to run to try to get my camera but wasn't there in time. I could have gotten a better one from my apartment, but wanted to avoid the buildings in the shot. I'm hoping to try to get some better shots of the sunsets over the next few days.

Your sunset is fantastic though. Much nicer than mine and helps me to continue trying to get a better shot myself.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
this is the first pic i post in this thread, I've been lurkin' on this "picture of the day" threads for a very long time, this was taken with my new rebel XT and the lens kit like 30 minutes ago, i had a little tripod (6 dollar one on ebay) that broke on me today, so this picture was actually taken using my shoe as the "tripod" to hold the camera still, it was around 11:30 pm when i took this pic.. any critiques will be appreciated...:)

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    517 KB · Views: 90

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
this is the first pic i post in this thread, I've been lurkin' on this "picture of the day" threads for a very long time, this was taken with my new rebel XT and the lens kit like 30 minutes ago, i had a little tripod (6 dollar one on ebay) that broke on me today, so this picture was actually taken using my shoe as the "tripod" to hold the camera still, it was around 11:30 pm when i took this pic.. any critiques will be appreciated...:)

One of the best "shoe pictures" I've seen. ;)

Seriously, and for about a dozen different reasons, think about replacing your six dollar tripod :)eek:) and your footware with a proper tripod. People say "buy this model" or "that model", but, hell, anything will be better than what you're using now.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Sunday Morning

Taken on a beautiful (but slightly chilly) Sunday morning in Toronto's Distillery District.

Canon 10D
17-40 F4L
26mm, f22
HDR from 3 RAWs, -2, 0, +2 w/ AEB
Tripod-Mounted
Slight PP in Aperture 2

Sunday Morning
258366259_Mvik5-L.jpg

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
Taken on a beautiful (but slightly chilly) Sunday morning in Toronto's Distillery District.

Canon 10D
17-40 F4L
26mm, f22
HDR from 3 RAWs, -2, 0, +2 w/ AEB
Tripod-Mounted
Slight PP in Aperture 2

Sunday Morning
258366259_Mvik5-L.jpg

hey mine is from the Toronto Distillery District too, i don't know if you recognized it, mine was last night at 11:30 pm tho...

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Mountains above Chamonix France

2285633944_114572f333_o.jpg

LOOOOVE it!!!
That must of been some hike to get up there, how did you get all the way up there???
loosepark.jpg

One tripod mounted RAW // HDR
Shutter: 1/30
Aperture: f/32
Focal Length: 190 mm
ISO 100

Definitely one of my favorites of yours now. Looks very mystical, like a fairy tale.
I too like this one better than the first, because I find it has a better use of space, and is also more even, and straight, and the tree has a good positioning in this one as well.

otter

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2006
Darwin, NT
LOOOOVE it!!!
That must of been some hike to get up there, how did you get all the way up there???

Thanks! I didn't hike up there. I like hiking but that would be more than I would care to do. There's this nifty gondola that takes you up there and at certain times of the year, will actually take you all the way over into Italy. Unfortunately that segment was closed when I was there. Here's another from that day:

2285645062_1e594daff8_o.jpg

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Thanks! I didn't hike up there. I like hiking but that would be more than I would care to do. There's this nifty gondola that takes you up there and at certain times of the year, will actually take you all the way over into Italy.

Pity, your honesty ruins it a bit. I would have loved a story about a strenuous hike that took 4 days, where you ran out of food, encountered blizzard and 2 yeti's.

fett

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
Optimus Rhyme and Doylem got me thinking about how landscape photographers spend so much time waiting for the perfect light and most of the time fail to capture it.

This photo represents a failed sunset photo, when I left my house it looked like it was going to be a perfect sunset but the clouds rolled in at the end blocking the sun.

I thought the words to this Linkin Park song kind of went with the photo. I am on lots of cold medicine so this might not work as much as I think right now. ;)

Shadow of the day
And the shadow of the day,
Will embrace the world in gray,
And the sun will set for you.
- Linkin Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.