Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Optimus Rhyme and Doylem got me thinking about how landscape photographers spend so much time waiting for the perfect light and most of the time fail to capture it.

This photo represents a failed sunset photo, when I left my house it looked like it was going to be a perfect sunset but the clouds rolled in at the end blocking the sun.

Ah, the 'wasted' trips aren't really wasted; they're the rent we have to pay for the times when everything does work out... ;)

A lakeland village...

askhamsv3.jpg

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
"Midnight Starlights"

2288651053_547f53e5fb_o.jpg

EW! Now I see that monitor calibration makes an enormous difference. The picture I posted on saturday was completed using my laptop at home. On my laptop the picture looked pretty good...but only on my laptop. When i got back to my computer at the dorms I had uploaded the photo from my laptop to my PC. I realized that the color of the image i posted was unbelievably out of whack. The red was horrendous in my opinion...the mood was simply gone from the photo...and I hadnt a clue "why?" I realized that this monitor had just been color calibrated and the picture looked a lot different on this monitor then on my Laptop monitor. So here it is one more time, the way I had intended it to be (im actually surprised that some people liked the first)...hopefully everyones monitors are calibrated if not, then your probably seeing many of the images on this forum in a different saturation, hue, brightness, contrast, etc then they were originally meant to be seen.

2292158081_4ae311339b_o.jpg

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
Picture taken tonight @ Casa Loma, Toronto... tripod taken..
:) I like it....

Attachments

• 2292629903_8d14510655_b.jpg
    2292629903_8d14510655_b.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 102

skiesforme

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Dude Is that a SHARK tail fin I See ???

Man, that's really cool!

I hope I haven't posted this one already, I know I shared it with Alex; this grom getting covered up!

Alex-1.jpg

L1 + ZD 70-300mm

Dude Is that a SHARK tail fin I See ???:eek::eek::eek:

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
@ srf4real & libertyterran: Thanks!

@ Carlos: Yeah, those darn monitor calibrations can be the bane of digital photography. I like that shot though, but I like your second rendition even better. I have issues as well when I edit my photos on my main computer and then look at them later on a different computer.

One thing I've discovered that might help you out with those nighttime HDRs - they always come out too saturated in my estimate, and I've had success with adjusting each source image's white balance to "Auto" in Photoshop Camera RAW before merging the images. This lessens the heavy saturation and gives a more "accurate" look to the HDR composition. But, it's your work so take what I say with a grain of salt on this - but like I said, I've had success doing this.

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
@ Carlos: Yeah, those darn monitor calibrations can be the bane of digital photography. I like that shot though, but I like your second rendition even better. I have issues as well when I edit my photos on my main computer and then look at them later on a different computer.

One thing I've discovered that might help you out with those nighttime HDRs - they always come out too saturated in my estimate, and I've had success with adjusting each source image's white balance to "Auto" in Photoshop Camera RAW before merging the images. This lessens the heavy saturation and gives a more "accurate" look to the HDR composition. But, it's your work so take what I say with a grain of salt on this - but like I said, I've had success doing this.

Thanks a lot for the tip, Eric! Ill be sure to give it a go. Ya, you have no idea how long ive been taking to calibrate this damn computer. The problem with my calibration since I dont have the actual hardware is that i simply calibrated it by hand. I understand what your saying, the problem is that the photo, in my monitor, doenst look saturated beside the first one. So im not sure whether my monitor is fully calibrated properly. If you know any place where I can get a discount off a good calibrator would you mind letting me know, please. I'm starting to loose my head over this. Well, it's about 15 minutes 'till midnight and i got to study for a midterm I have tomorrow at 8:00am....wish me luck :(....

...on the calibrating, that is.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
trains.jpg

One tripod mounted RAW // HDR
Shutter: 1.6
Aperture: f/16
Focal Length: 285 mm
ISO 100

This is a weird one. The trains give a nice tunnel effect. Much nicer than
the obvious 'moving cars' shot. Inspiring. (mental note: visit railway line soon).

BOOSTD

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
Taken at Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco.

This is a digital pic, but I found a photoshop script that seems to make a nice film grain effect. Comments welcome!

"Into the Boiling Pot"

Attachments

• into the boiling pot (web).jpg
    into the boiling pot (web).jpg
    887.1 KB · Views: 164

Eauboy

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Washington, DC
Taken at Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco.

This is a digital pic, but I found a photoshop script that seems to make a nice film grain effect. Comments welcome!

"Into the Boiling Pot"

Good sense of motion and solid composition if the subject is the fisherman. It looks a bit flat to me, though. Did your processing take away some of the dynamic range?

dannyboi83

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Wales
Hey this is my first EVER post,

Any comments are more than welcome

It is Clearly visible it is my first post, here is the pic

Attachments

• DSC_0077 - Version 2.jpg
    DSC_0077 - Version 2.jpg
    811.4 KB · Views: 83

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
My pictures improved dramatically just by putting away the super zoom and getting a dslr system with adequate lenses. Thanks everyone for comments!

_1040629.jpg

7.5 Mp Panasonic L1 + Zuiko Digital 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (600mm equiv.);)
1/4000 sec @ f/6.3, ISO 250​

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
Doylem, that is one of the most stunningly beautiful photographs that I have seen. You have the eye of a painter. Constable, Turner, Doylem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.