Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
Wow! Great light, great colour, great composition, and a clarity that we get in UK on maybe 5 days each year.

Great buggy too... ;)

I'm afraid that if I go back there, there will be no clouds and the bright sun will just wash out all the great colors and contrast.

P.S. Love your last post with the tree, was that HDR'ed?

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Ichneumon wasp

Awesome pics, everyone! valdore, srf4real and doylem, you never cease to amaze me!

This is a female Ichneumon wasp (Hymenoptera: Ichneumonidae: Ichneumoninae) inserting her ovipositor into a beetle larva inside the tree trunk. That way, when the wasp egg hatches, it has a nice meal without having to move. Great strategy for the wasps, not so great for the beetles!

Attachments

• Ichneumonidae 02.jpg
    Ichneumonidae 02.jpg
    1,001.7 KB · Views: 158

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Thanks for the compliments, dilavaneras, iballs (yes, HDR), Kashchei and fett... and, while we're at it, did I miss the meeting where it was decided that everyone on the internet had to use an assumed name? On the other hand, I rather like the idea of "Constable, Turner & Doylem"... but only as the name of a law firm... ;)

iballs, your car pic is one of those photographs (quite rare, I reckon) that repays going back to again and again... like a favourite song. I can wander round that space just enjoying the colours and textures and the layers of clouds receding to the snowy peaks on the horizon.

You've really got variations of just two colours: the ochre(s) of the land and the combined blue/grey/white of the sky (and pool). So these two colours, tonally very similiar, play nicely with each other. And then the red trim of the buggy 'plays' with them both, at the point where they meet. The result is restful yet dynamic, at the same time. A neat trick...

At the risk of sounding even more pretententious (a risk I never shy away from ;)), isn't it the perfect metaphor for 21st century life in the developed world to find such a splendid landscape, on such a wondrous day, and then park a bloody car in front of it... AND emphasising which is more important in the photographer's affections by parking if so the viewer sees it twice: first posed rather perkily on the lip of a canyon, second by being reflected in the stillness of a pool.

The pic could speak volumes about the way we treat the landcape. COULD... but doesn't. It just says "Get in the passenger seat... and let's go!".

Maybe that's because it's a fun car that doesn't dominate its surrounding like one of those huge f**k-off 4x4 off-road monstrocities. For all my environmental leanings... the little red buggy looks fine just where it is. The pic would make a terrific poster, and whoever makes the buggy might spend folding money on it too...

Hey... "Let's go" :)

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
Avacado
Camera: Pentax K10D
Exposure: 20 sec (20)
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 55 mm
ISO Speed: 100
2295193160_1fa3de52f2_b.jpg

So many great photo's by you guys again. Especially doylem, srf4real, oblomow, valdore. I also really like the last 2 shots by timtam and the shot by iBallz
They really are an inspiration, I need to get some free time and just go and take photo's ...

This one of mine is dumb, I was just messing about.
I lit this Avacado and a "Metz-it" with the light from an old lcd monitor ..... well I was bored and it seemed fun at the time.

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
2292599794_3956398b57.jpg

took this picture for my photography class in school and had to put it in a web page, screen shotted it to make it fit thus losing my data.
taken with my XTi at 18mm, dont remember the rest sry :(

davinche

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Awesome pics, everyone! valdore, srf4real and doylem, you never cease to amaze me!

This is a female Ichneumon wasp (Hymenoptera: Ichneumonidae: Ichneumoninae) inserting her ovipositor into a beetle larva inside the tree trunk. That way, when the wasp egg hatches, it has a nice meal without having to move. Great strategy for the wasps, not so great for the beetles!

That is an amazing shot, made even better by the description of what is happening... Also great shots by everyone else. I've been browsing these forums since May 2005 and have finally decided to post a picture. It is nothing special compared to some of the other pics I've seen on here.

Attachments

• DSC_0104.jpg
    DSC_0104.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 101

unknown87

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2007
dscf20687f646.jpg

A little rock pool, near to my family home. Bitterly cold day and VERY annoyed the sky got blown out like that...

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
That is an amazing shot, made even better by the description of what is happening... Also great shots by everyone else. I've been browsing these forums since May 2005 and have finally decided to post a picture. It is nothing special compared to some of the other pics I've seen on here.

I love pretty birds. I want a cockatoo one of these years.

davinche

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I love pretty birds. I want a cockatoo one of these years.

Thanks.... That picture was taken at Fisherman's wharf in Monterey, CA. There is a gentleman who wheels around this cart with 10-12 different birds. I also have a love for birds as my dad has always had a gigantic bird cage in his backyard with parakeets, love birds, and various other birds.

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland

Ron Shusset one of the co-creator of the Alien film franchise was inspired by this wasp.
He was terrified that some entity could lay a larva in someone that would hatch inside and then lead to the death of the host.

Awesome shot anyway.

nicoritschel

macrumors regular
May 22, 2006
Beautiful photo. Can you tell us more about it?

It looks semi HDR, and correct me if I'm wrong are those some rain drops on the lens? If so, I actually kind of like them oddly enough.

Was this just a crop or what?

Thanks for the kind words. Nope, this photo is 100% unprocessed, straight out of camera. Well, besides the fact that it is a panorama comprised of 4 shots, stitched together with photoshop cs3. This is a view of the Charles River from the Boston side to Cambridge, across the river. Those are actually raindrops on a window, as this is a view from a hotel room that I stayed at.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
That is an amazing shot, made even better by the description of what is happening...

Ron Shusset one of the co-creator of the Alien film franchise was inspired by this wasp.
Awesome shot anyway.

Thanks, you two! I'm blushing a bit now... :eek:

This is another from the same day, a small spiny orb weaver spider, Gasteracantha sp.

Attachments

• Spinning the web.jpg
    Spinning the web.jpg
    828.1 KB · Views: 125

Optimus Rhyme

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
London, UK
Thanks for the kind words. Nope, this photo is 100% unprocessed, straight out of camera. Well, besides the fact that it is a panorama comprised of 4 shots, stitched together with photoshop cs3. This is a view of the Charles River from the Boston side to Cambridge, across the river. Those are actually raindrops on a window, as this is a view from a hotel room that I stayed at.

Unprocessed makes me enjoy it even more. Well done.

A very well done panorama too. I'm about to purchase a DSLR soon enough so I'll have to get used to doing panoramas by myself with no software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.