Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ACbc

macrumors member
May 14, 2007
Here's a simple one. As you can see, i'm a bit of a vibrant color nut. But i've really liked the hazy, sightly washed out pictures posted by Maldini and Doylem. It really puts a different kind of mood to the picture. I will have to attempt something similar soon. :)

2153445767_0d96104382_o.jpg

I pointed the lens straight to the sky so i used the pop up flash dialed down a bit (i think -.7?) to get the detail in the leaf. brought it out a bit with post processing too.

Nikon D300
70-200 VR f/2.8 @ 200mm f/5
1/125 second
ISO 200

schreck

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
New England
2180819501_8c36de95b8_b.jpg

Nothing special, I just liked how it came out in comparison to how dark the area was when I took the photo.

30s, ƒ 4,6, 30mm, ISO100, d40x

Again; comments, criticisms..they're all extremely welcome.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
Nothing special here. I just liked the contrast between the green and pink. Could have been a little sharper... Taken with a sony cybershot.

DSC00933.jpg

ACbc

macrumors member
May 14, 2007
Very nice colors. Is that sky color natural? Or did you slightly changed it in Photoshop? It looks great.

All post processing for this particular photo was done in aperture. The original sky color was a little darker and a little less saturated. I used the selective color adjustment tool in aperture. That in combination with increasing the exposure a bit in aperture got the color I was looking for.

I know some people frown upon that kind of thing....and I used to be one of them. but i've come to embrace post processing as part of the workflow. Some pictures are processed very little, some a lot. I try to envision exactly how i want the photo to be after post processing while actually taking the picture. For this particular picture, I wanted a geometrical green shape against a nice blue background. The picture, out of the camera was not quite there, so I brought out my vision in post.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

I bet it was a wonderful evening to be out on the beach. It looks good from the perspective of a British winter. :)

But the picture itself is short of a subject. The eye roams around the picture area, looking for something to give the picture a focus, a point of interest, a sense of scale. Imagine a figure, somewhere on the beach, and how dramatically that would change the picture. Although occupying only 0.1% of the picture area, the eye would have somewhere to 'land'.

Terrific... really like the restricted colour 'palette', the simple composition and the sharp (;)) contrast between in and out of focus. Sometimes less IS more...

rrijkers

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
The Netherlands
At Kleuter

ps. Picture gotten a little lighter when exporting it from PhotoShop to jpg

Attachments

• AtKleuter.png
    AtKleuter.png
    884 KB · Views: 90
  • AtKleuter2.jpg
    AtKleuter2.jpg
    519.1 KB · Views: 78

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
not that i could compete with any of these pictures in the thread, but here is one i took today:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh207/jasonjammallo/Sunset/P1090920.jpg

ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/40 sec
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 14mm
Nice shot, but could I suggest cropping some of the bottom. Removing some of the bottom the picture will comply with the rule of thirds, as it is the horizon is in the middle of the picture which is a "no no" most of the time in compositional terms. Hope you don't mind I have modified your image to show what I mean .. :)

Attachments

• P1090920b.jpg
    P1090920b.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 88

wwwdotcomdotnet

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2007
Doylem, I definitely see what you mean by having a subject in the picture. Thanks for the advice. If you look in the middle right of the photo there is a person walking, but its too hard to distinguish that person from all the rocks anyways :)

Jack, I have to agree with you too about cropping the photo. Thanks for showing me what you mean. No problem on the advice, how else would I get better without feedback :)

GT41

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
First post of a photo on this forum. C&C is appreciated. I took this photo in the rain snow just after Christmas.

Attachments

• _MG_1892_1.jpg
    _MG_1892_1.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 106

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Thanks, Doylem, Evangelion and Rich! I went out to a new place yesterday, taking advantage of our unusually warm weather, thinking I'd use both my new lenses. That new 24-70mm just wanted to stay right on the camera and I had a lot of fun seeing how closely it focuses. In many of the shots I took, I deliberately used f/2.8 to isolate my main subject and deliberately underexposed a little. The colorful backgrounds I was able to get surprised me, considering that this IS winter!

Rich: sorry, can't send you a high-rez version for a background because I may want to do something else with this image once I see how well it prints up....

Here's another one, again shot at f/2.8 and very close up for a shallow DOF. This one could've benefitted from stopping down a bit, though! I just like the colorful background.....

p679463154.jpg

Jan 30, 2006
First post of a photo on this forum. C&C is appreciated. I took this photo in the rain snow just after Christmas.

The only thing that it misses is composition, try to give the viewer a point of interest. Take Doylem photo for example, that dog, even tho it only occupies a small percentage of the photo, it is what contributes the most to the photo. Take the dog out, and the photo would be good, but not near as good as with the dog.

There is also a common rule in photography known as the Rule of Thirds, try to keep it in mind when taking a photo.:)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nikon D40x
Nikkor 80-200mm

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
looking south

Lincoln City, OR beach in late afternoon.

DSC_4509.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/320 sec
Aperture: f/9.0
Focal Length: 18mm w/18-55 kit lens

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.