Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Experiments in portraiture.

Nikon D80
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 at ~80mm
Shutter speed - 1/200
Aperture - 2.8
SB-600 flash at -3.0 compensation (aimed at the ceiling)
Try with no flash? In this case, it looks highly unnatural and almost liken to that of a point and shoot.

Also, with any people pictures, be sure to touch up teeth (whiten, smooth) and skin!

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise At The Rock

"Paradise At The Rock" - Morro Bay, CA

2195355753_365c2880e7_o.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Very nice.

You captured the steam well. I never have any luck when getting close to manholes in the street with steam rising up in the cold. :confused:

Thanks. An almost directly backlit scene, shot on an overcast Pacific NW winter's day at dusk. Dark backgrounds help in this case. The clouds were heavy and thick until the sun broke out for a few brief minutes before setting.

Your steam shots would need a direct source of backlight to dramatize the steam If you had a steamy manhole cover directly in the line of cars coming toward you in your street shot, that probably would have shown up well... I'm probably saying something you already know...:)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Remnant of the old west..

I found this old place somewhere near a railroad track in Nevada. No rooms were available...

SCN0005.jpg

Canon EOS 630
Canon 28-80
Fujichrome

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
For today we have this snowform/ice taken just about 15 minutes ago outside my school... I have yet to reset the time on my D50! I really adore this 50mm f/1.8 lens:

Attachments

• DSC_1864.jpg
    DSC_1864.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 408

§HAMU§

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2006
raleigh, nc
camera: canon rebel xt
lens: canon ef 85mm f/1.8 usm
focal length: 85mm
aperture: f/11
shutter: 1/200
iso: 200
filter: none

this is my first time playing with studio strobes. the strobe was set up on camera right bounced off an umbrella. triggered by a pocket wizard plus II.

lauren, by studio light

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Correct sir! If you are ever out this way again let's set up a MacRumors shooting day.

Sounds good. I like the idea.
I just may go to Canada this year to "touch base" in my home and native land. I have 2 sisters and a brother in the Lower Mainland so I'll likely visit them if/when I go back. l lived in Kits for a year and various places in BC for 12 years, so I consider Van one of my several hometowns.
If I'm out that way I'll drop a line... :) In the mean time, keep posting those shots of Beautiful BC!

FastEddy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
North Californie
"I found this old place somewhere near a railroad track in Nevada. No rooms were available...

SCN0005.jpg
"

Like the shot... but LOVE the building. Looks like somebody designed it on the back of an envelope....

The trip by car from CES to MacWorld gives shutter bugs ample opportunity for a Nevada ghost town shoot. US95 passes through the town of Gold Field ... And you ain't seen anything until you have come up the Nevada side of the mountain to Bodie Ca. ... :D

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
holy crap! I call it fake! The bird was posing and you just gave it some motion blur to it's wings! :D

awesome!

LOL Thanks! The birds actually do pose for you like that. They literally get two feet away from you and just hover there when you are feeding them. My girfriend was literally throwing food into their mouths as the were flying. It was pretty impressive. I got a whole bunch more shots, but this one is my favorite. Ill post some others later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.