Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Educ8r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
4th largest city in the USA
2200136282_08704f16d0_o.jpg

minitrialer

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Uk,Suffolk,Ipswich
Shutter: 1/80
Aperture: f/8.0
Focal Length: 17mm
ISO 100

Really like that, looks kind of , dramatic, don't really know how else to put it!
Just been out for a little drive and got this.. I think I may take it again but from a lower angle, ah well, live and learn.

Attachments

• Shadow.jpg
    Shadow.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 87

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2191/2200713986_3e90bcfd83.jpg
A guitar and an American flag = ‘freedom’?

“Hey, buddy! My daddy died for that flag! Really? I bought mine. They sell 'em in K-Mart” – Bill Hicks.

The only people who ‘fly the flag’ in the UK these days are football fans, right-wing fanatics and, erm, the manufacturers of junk food... :eek:

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2066/flagfoodlu2.jpg

2200713986_3e90bcfd83.jpg

You see it's not the actual reality of it --Everyone knows that America is not free or great in anyway. However, it is the IDEA of freedom that is displayed here; do not take it for face value. An IDEA is just that. Part of this photos purpose is to demonstrate a symbol of sorts in order to display that IDEA in which the flag was MEANT to represent --The idea of freedom. To many, maybe even you, this may just seem like a nice album cover for a new country CD, but you cant tell me that flying the flag is only a display of ones loyalty to their country. If you only knew me then maybe you would understand. You see, I dislike America probably more than most people, yet that flag you see on that photo is displayed here in my dorm room. Not because I think America is a good country (not in the least bit), I absolutely hate the way the country is ran, the way we force people to live like us, and the way we deceive our people into thinking America is the greatest nation in the world. But you see, I absolutely love the IDEA of America; the idea that "...all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." I love the IDEA of America...not the reality of it.

P.S: Heres a video and song that I created that pretty much sums up my view for not only America but for the entire world in the state it is in today: "Reality"

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
You see it's not the actual reality of it --Everyone knows that America is not free or great in anyway. However, it is the IDEA of freedom that is displayed here; do not take it for face value. An IDEA is just that. Part of this photos purpose is to demonstrate a symbol of sorts in order to display that IDEA in which the flag was MEANT to represent --The idea of freedom. To many, maybe even you, this may just seem like a nice album cover for a new country CD, but you cant tell me that flying the flag is only a display of ones loyalty to their country. If you only knew me then maybe you would understand. You see, I dislike America probably more than most people, yet that flag you see on that photo is displayed here in my dorm room. Not because I think America is a good country (not in the least bit), I absolutely hate the way the country is ran, the way we force people to live like us, and the way we deceive our people into thinking America is the greatest nation in the world. But you see, I absolutely love the IDEA of America; the idea that "...all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." I love the IDEA of America...not the reality of it.

P.S: Heres a video and song that I created that pretty much sums up my view for not only America but for the entire world in the state it is in today: "Reality"

Yes, I'm sorry, I was being a bit naughty and provocative. :)

I appreciate what you're saying, and agree with every word. Hey, with Britain's distinctly chequered history in world affairs, I don't think we have too much to brag about.

The idea... and the reality. When asked what he thought of Western civilization, Ghandi said "I think it would be a good idea".

We all need a little less bombast, and a little more humility...

§HAMU§

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2006
raleigh, nc
camera: canon rebel xt
lens: canon ef 85mm f/1.8 usm
focal length: 85mm
aperture: f/2.8
shutter: 1/100
iso: 200
filter: none

Happy Friday! Here's some cleavage for you.

peterj1967

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
Making a Little Soup

IMG_1542.jpg

This is part of my 365 Day project, where you take a self portrait every day for a year. You can see lots of them on flickr. My plan is to shoot the entire thing with my Cannon sd400 to keep it simple and to think about the image. So no EXIF, but forced to iso 50, flash off and let the camera figure out the rest. I like the result

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
There She Goes!

fireballon.jpg

There She Goes!
near Chiang Mai, Thailand
Late November, 2007
Nikon D40 + Sigma 10-20mm

I spent November taking a CELTA course for a Cambridge English teaching certificate. Near the end, the local Thais we were teaching brought fireworks and fire balloons for us to celebrate one of their biggest festivals, Loi Kratong. Here, one of the paper balloons is released. They look like UFOs when a group of them are seen from a distance. Hundreds of them released at once are an awe inspiring sight.

IMG_1542.jpg

This is part of my 365 Day project, where you take a self portrait every day for a year. You can see lots of them on flickr. My plan is to shoot the entire thing with my Cannon sd400 to keep it simple and to think about the image. So no EXIF, but forced to iso 50, flash off and let the camera figure out the rest. I like the result

Hmmm...I think I may do that, too, although less of me and more of what I'm doing, like your shot.

And it reminds me of a project I should be setting up this weekend. That is, find a nice landscape spot and photograph it every week at the same time of day for a year to capture the changing seasons. I did it a couple of years ago and liked the results. Makes a good slideshow.
The image you posted is quite fine as a stand alone (the composition is spot on). I love cooking and mushrooms, and the shot reminds me of the fall adventures I had picking wild (legal) 'shrooms for fun and profit in the deep, dark forests of British Columbia.

peterj1967

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
Freebooter,

Thanks for the comment, take a look at the 365 Days Group on Flickr that was my motivation and where I heard about the project. Look up Peterj1967 and you'll see the rest of mine. I am only on day 18.

Calling it a self portrait every day isn't too accurate. You need to take a picture, which has some part of you in it every day you. My rule is I need to push the shutter release and nobody else can be holding the camera, it needs to stand on its own.

It has been fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.