Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Oh...thats much better. Now experiment with some funky colours and stuff. Like I said, it has some good potential to become a funky abstract piece.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Trying some creative compositions... I don't like how the light/color temp/tint is, seeing as I didn't get a chance to play with settings before taking this shot; so I lost some detail that I wanted. Anyway, I am happy with the overall effect:

dsc9939pm2.jpg

Camera: Nikon D70s, Nikkor 28mm f2.8.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Oh...thats much better. Now experiment with some funky colours and stuff. Like I said, it has some good potential to become a funky abstract piece.

The whole "park" (really more of a small area with these neat spheres in it) is a delightful opportunity to play with abstractions, shapes, lines, etc.... My initial visit there was on a grey, gloomy day so I converted some of the resulting images to B&W. I definitely am planning a return trip there on a different day with better lighting and also with a few different lenses to really explore the possibilities..... Stay tuned!! :)

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
The whole "park" (really more of a small area with these neat spheres in it) is a delightful opportunity to play with abstractions, shapes, lines, etc.... My initial visit there was on a grey, gloomy day so I converted some of the resulting images to B&W. I definitely am planning a return trip there on a different day with better lighting and also with a few different lenses to really explore the possibilities..... Stay tuned!! :)
Hey, just wondering, do you find a big difference between what you can capture with FX verse DX in regards to casual street photography/spur of the moment snapshots?? I know the benefits of FX in studio work, but often wonder if it's advantageous outside controlled environments.

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
This is a picture I took at Pismo Beach, CA

2195003961_eb49e6a8b8_o.jpg

F/22
1/45
iso 100
18mm

This is a picture I took of "The Rock" in Morro Bay, CA

2193654287_6a4e6430b8_o.jpg

F/22
0.7s
iso 100
18mm

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Those are Thaats

Thats_IR_Web.jpg

Those are Thaats
Nikon D40x + Nikkor-H 28mm
December 20, 2007.

Two overgrown thaats (called stupas in some countries) at Wat Chom Phet (I think) on a hill across the Mekong from Luang Prabang, Laos.

According to Wikipedia, these structures are rich in metaphor, "the shape of the stupa represents the Buddha, crowned and sitting in meditation posture on a lion throne. His crown is the top of the spire; his head is the square at the spire's base; his body is the vase shape; his legs are the four steps of the lower terrace; and the base is his throne."

A three shot panorama, shot with a Hoya 72R IR filter and a custom white balance using green vegetation as the neutral. 30 second exposures and iso 800 made necessary by the camera's strong built in IR blocking filter.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
After having lunch with my family, I snapped this picture of the Rocky Mountains from the parking lot of the burger joint in Winter Park, CO.

I like the simple shapes: the way the clouds and shadowed areas at the bottom kinda echo the mountain ridges. Somebody should have told Ansel Adams he could have taken most of his shots from the "parking lot of a burger joint". ;)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
last light..

Overlooking the Pacific, and a small lake.

DSC_1873.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
ISO: 1600
Exposure: 1/13 sec (handheld)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 18mm w/kit lens

Freebooter: Beautiful composition, exposure, subject - just otherworldly IR work.
SolracSelbor: Lovely composition on the beach/surfer shot, and I agree with Doylem - slight straightening the horizon and it's perfect. I'd love that shot as a large print or poster... (hint... ;))
Cutsman: cool shot of the graffiti.
iTiki: I love the slot canyon photos. I didn't have time when I was down near Page, Arizona to go explore any of them, but I really wanted to. A week after I left several hikers got trapped in a slot canyon by a flash flood, so there are some considerations when venturing in one of them... but with good weather info, well - it must be worth the risk to see the light play the way it does in these canyons.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Hey, just wondering, do you find a big difference between what you can capture with FX verse DX in regards to casual street photography/spur of the moment snapshots?? I know the benefits of FX in studio work, but often wonder if it's advantageous outside controlled environments.

I haven't found a big difference, actually -- since one can go wider with the FX lenses on the FX camera that can have an impact on the final image, but I really haven't noticed differences. However, I haven't been out shooting as much during the winter as I will be once warmer weather returns.... I've used the D300 more for shooting birds and such with the long lenses and the teleconverters, and the D3 for other kinds of things, including scenics, people and close ups. Now that I've finally gotten the RRS L-bracket for the camera body I can safely use it on the tripod and will be doing more macro and tabletop work with the D3, too. I would say either camera would work equally well for doing casual street photography/quick snapshots. If I were here at home and a fire started somewhere down the street, I would grab whichever camera came first to hand and run out the door to go shoot it....

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
I haven't found a big difference, actually -- since one can go wider with the FX lenses on the FX camera that can have an impact on the final image, but I really haven't noticed differences. However, I haven't been out shooting as much during the winter as I will be once warmer weather returns.... I've used the D300 more for shooting birds and such with the long lenses and the teleconverters, and the D3 for other kinds of things, including scenics, people and close ups. Now that I've finally gotten the RRS L-bracket for the camera body I can safely use it on the tripod and will be doing more macro and tabletop work with the D3, too. I would say either camera would work equally well for doing casual street photography/quick snapshots. If I were here at home and a fire started somewhere down the street, I would grab whichever camera came first to hand and run out the door to go shoot it....
Thanks. Good stuff to know!

I'm looking forward to seeing some macro stuff shot with the D3. :)

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Straighten up the horizon, and this would make a terrific poster. It looks very good from the perspective of a dark and gloomy day in England... :)

Overlooking the Pacific, and a small lake.
...SolracSelbor: Lovely composition on the beach/surfer shot, and I agree with Doylem - slight straightening the horizon and it's perfect. I'd love that shot as a large print or poster... (hint... ;))...

Thanks! I fixed up the horizon.

2195003961_eb49e6a8b8_o.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.