Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
p733186591.jpg

fett

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
I took this photo of a sunflower in my back alley today.

Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/32
Focal Length: 61 mm
Flash did fire

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

I really like this shot... for all the obvious reasons. But I can hardly look at it: the tilting makes me feel quite disorientated and giddy, whereas the picture itself has a beautiful combination of stillness and movement. Anyone else feel this, or is it (as usual) just me? :)

Is this the way you took the shot, or did you rotate it afterwards. Either way, I'm wondering: why?

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Shilshole Marina, Seattle
2188035671_915ffafbfc_o.jpg
Love this shot too. Some terrific pix on the forum at the moment. Normally I like some colour in the sky for night shots, 'cos it generally makes them more atmospheric. But this shot works, for me, because the sky IS so black. Is there any post-production secret to this... or is it more-or-less as seen? I can imagine it either way.

I love the 'mirror image' effect, both vertical and horizontal... and that's a tantalising space right in the centre: you wonder what's out there.Another shot that might look great hanging on the wall...

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Land's edge

Another shot from my hike up Cascade Head, Oregon coast.

DSC_2331-1.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
Exposure: 1/125 sec
Aperture: f/8.0
Focal Length: 55mm w/18-55 kit lens

Carl: Thanks for your thoughtful and generous comments on my shot, and all the others. I haven't commented on your abstract works of light and color before, but I really like them. They really look good viewed larger, and are a delightful, kaleidescopic <sp?> hit on the senses. Love in a prism... sweet!

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Strange light and storm clouds over Lake Windermere yesterday...

stormylakehn3.jpg

Wow! Incredible light. It almost looks like the light is emitting from the further part of the lake, as if something otherworldly is about to emerge from the deep... Really, a cool shot!

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
I really like this shot... for all the obvious reasons. But I can hardly look at it: the tilting makes me feel quite disorientated and giddy, whereas the picture itself has a beautiful combination of stillness and movement. Anyone else feel this, or is it (as usual) just me? :)

Is this the way you took the shot, or did you rotate it afterwards. Either way, I'm wondering: why?

Giddy? Really? Have you been drinking? ;) If so, good.

I took the posted photo that way because:
-i found the corner to corner composition much more dynamic, much more visually unusual and hence arresting, than the usual parallel-to-the-frame way.
-i wanted the rider in the corner while capturing as much of the long shadow as possible

Also, that Lake Windemere shot of yours is spectacular!

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Pig tree, Garland Park, Carmel Valley, California. High in the hills, way off the trail, I came across this tree. Decades ago, someone cut off the snout to make it look more like a pig. These hills are full of wild boar that look like this particular pig. I may be the only one that knows about this now, except you.

Taken with Nikon E950, neat camera with swiveling lens. My fav P&S, although real slow and sans pixels by today's standards.

Attachments

• Pig tree.JPG
    Pig tree.JPG
    311.6 KB · Views: 84

saskdmbfan

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2007
Well done

Solo.jpg

Riding Solo
Luang Prabang, Laos
Dec. 29, 2007.
Nikon D40x + Nikkor 18-200mm @ 62mm
1/6s @ f 18
iso 100​

Taken from the rooftop patio garden of the pleasant Rama Hotel.

This is a simply stunning photograph. Well done and thank you for sharing that with all of us.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Really gorgeous: colour, tone pattern...Just enough defocussing to make it atmospheric; just enough detail to stop it being abstract. It would make a great print to hang on the wall, I reckon... or collect a few of these together in a book...

Thank you! Yes, I love the colors and tonality of this, too! Amazing what beauty we can find in the simplest things....

otter

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2006
Darwin, NT
Love this shot too. Some terrific pix on the forum at the moment. Normally I like some colour in the sky for night shots, 'cos it generally makes them more atmospheric. But this shot works, for me, because the sky IS so black. Is there any post-production secret to this... or is it more-or-less as seen? I can imagine it either way.

I love the 'mirror image' effect, both vertical and horizontal... and that's a tantalising space right in the centre: you wonder what's out there.Another shot that might look great hanging on the wall...

Thanks Doylem. There was very little post-production work done, mostly just to correct the white balance. This is pretty much as I saw it. Or at least as I remember seeing it. I had just left a friends boat after having a, uh, number of beers. Probably wasn't real bright, wobbling around on the dock trying to set up my camera to take this shot. But I like how it turned out.

I'm really bad about commenting on everyone else's photos but I must say you have some consistently great shots.

I really love this shot. The line of boats gives the picture such depth.

Thanks!

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
University of Dayton

University of Dayton Arena, shot this about two months ago.

2 images - one night time photo, one morning photo - merged in photoshop to get a split shot (building with lights on with an actual light sky).

EDIT: The original was more saturated than this and looked better. I'll repost with a better later - I'm running late for a shoot.

~Crawn

Attachments

• 6. UD Arena.jpg
    6. UD Arena.jpg
    477.2 KB · Views: 76

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
Feedback

I'm new at this and just looking for some feedback. These shots were taken in the Antelope Valley Slot Canyon in Arizona. Images are "raw" and not manipulated in any way. Colors are as I saw them.

Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• pict0026 (3).jpg
    pict0026 (3).jpg
    638.1 KB · Views: 75
  • pict0036 (3).jpg
    pict0036 (3).jpg
    697.5 KB · Views: 72
  • pict0044 (3).jpg
    pict0044 (3).jpg
    720.1 KB · Views: 63

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
2188035671_915ffafbfc_o.jpg

Thanks Doylem. There was very little post-production work done, mostly just to correct the white balance. This is pretty much as I saw it. Or at least as I remember seeing it. I had just left a friends boat after having a, uh, number of beers. Probably wasn't real bright, wobbling around on the dock trying to set up my camera to take this shot. But I like how it turned out.

I'm really bad about commenting on everyone else's photos but I must say you have some consistently great shots.

What's so striking in your picture is the even lighting... all the way back as far as you can see. Except I don't know where the light is coming from! Well-seen, anyhow... drunk or sober...

"Consistently great shots": see, you're not as bad at commenting as you thought. :)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
What is the trick to shooting like this?

I just realized I forgot to put my shooting data in that post! I'll go retrieve the EXIF in a moment.

OK, I used my Nikon D3 and new 24-70mm lens, which focuses quite closely, and I deliberately underexposed by -3 or maybe it was -7 EV; I think in this instance the subject was illuminated both by natural (fading) daylight and a tungsten lightbulb shining overhead (can't remember offhand), giving it that golden glow. I was right on top of the subject, using f/2.8 to blur out distracting background, and the depth of field (DOF) was very narrow and shallow due to the fact I was focusing so closely.... This lens is not intended to be a macro lens but it sure does a nice job when you get up close and personal with the subject!

ETA: Shooting Data:

Jan 9
Nikon D3 with Nikkor 24-70mm lens at 70mm
f/2.8 at 1/250 sec
0 EV
ISO 250

This tells me that it is one of the eariier shots of the day, when the afternoon sun was giving me some gorgeous glow for backlighting and for saturation....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.