Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The 24-70mm lens is indeed quite versatile!

p870568434.jpg

This lens has already become one of my favorites and it is probably going to stay on my D3 99.9% of the time!

EXIF for this shot:

Arlington, Virginia (Rosslyn)
Dark Star Park
January 13, 2008
Nikon D3
Nikkor 24-70mm lens
Focal Length: 70mm
1/30 sec at f/5
ISO 640

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
2188066104_ab2d963636_o.jpg

Nikon D40x
1/60
f 9
18-55mm @18mm
ISO 100
SB-600 off to side

I like this a lot, and I was wondering what kind of in-camera and/or post-processing work you did here, with the way the girl is emphasized and her surroundings are more obscure...?

I've made many an HDR in my time, including some from a single RAW file, but they never seem to turn out all that well. If I'm being honest I'm not a huge HDR fan, and obviously not all photos work well being HDR (for example I loved your "Western Auto" photo which wasn't HDR).

Anyway, I do like some of your HDR's a lot, especially this one. What kind of settings are you using for your single RAW HDR's? I generally use the exposure compensation and +/- 2 from the original. They never really work all that well though.

I guess the main thing is lately I've been making adjustments to my source images - be they multiple or single RAW -- better input makes better output, I've noticed.

Eric, it would take way too long to explain all the reasons why this is such a great photo. Seriously, I'd be typing for ages so can I just say that you are creating something special almost on a daily basis now, but this, this is just a peachy-keen-jelly-bean-assault-on-the-senses that is simply a joy to behold.
Your rather more subdued post around Xmas eve or so(little church-like structure with attached tower in dramatic perspective)was the one that prompted my lost & lengthy response, 'cause you'd mentioned that some folks baulk at that wide angle perspective; this too is equally dramatic, which is part of it's beauty for me. And part of its realism.
I'm gonna explain my view on this later tonight when I finally catch up with my snow leopard!
But really, this is work of art, that I would die to have on my lounge wall. Imagine a large print of this, beautifully framed. 'nuff said!

Haha, thanks Carl. I've had forum software eat up a post of mine here or there too, though not on Macrumors so far.

New one.... hitting up the Plaza Lights on the Plaza in Kansas City (Missouri) before they get shut off for the rest of the year.

plazalights2.jpg

Shutter: 13 sec. // Aperture: f/22.6 // Focal Length: 17mm // ISO 100

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Self-portrait, shot from Wansfell towards Kirkstone Pass... a road which winds up through that dip in the hills, top left. At the bottom of the dip is a tiny white dot: that's the Kirkstone Pass Inn, the highest pub in England (though a couple of American tourists once asked me to direct them to the "tallest pub", a very different thing altogether :)).

I generally pop into the pub whenever I pass. The weather outside can be pretty bleak; inside there's log fires and good beers, comfy chairs and friendly folk...

kirkstoneshadowrh9.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
WW I aircraft engine

Part of an old Jenny (I believe...) bi-plane on display at the air museum in McMinnville, OR. I always have loved the mechanicals of old machines.

DSC_5158.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
Exposure: 1/200 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 55mm w/kit lens

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
stormylakehn3.jpg

Wow! Incredible light. It almost looks like the light is emitting from the further part of the lake, as if something otherworldly is about to emerge from the deep... Really, a cool shot!

Thanks... Yes, the light was amazing... and such a contrast between the black clouds and the one patch of sunlight picking out the mist. Actually, something otherworldly DID emerge from the deep - a huge, two-headed, silver-skinned monster - but, hey, with all the new Apple stuff being launched at SF this week, I didn't think MR folk would be interested. So I deleted the shot... :eek:

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Stunning portrait!

Thanks so much!

epicwelshman, yeah, superb portrait. Her right hand is brilliant, her right breast is sublime and her right eye is just excellent. Her mane of hair ain't bad either! Just brilliant.

Thank you! I'll have to let her know!

I like this a lot, and I was wondering what kind of in-camera and/or post-processing work you did here, with the way the girl is emphasized and her surroundings are more obscure...?

-----------------------

plazalights2.jpg

Shutter: 13 sec. // Aperture: f/22.6 // Focal Length: 17mm // ISO 100

I'm trying to think. I used my SB-600 externally above and to the side to light her, but not so much the background which helped a lot. Aside from that, a combination of levels adjustments, curves layers and I think some burning all contributed to the image. I'm glad you like it.

This new image of yours... WOW. One of the best I've seen from you.

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Self-portrait, shot from Wansfell towards Kirkstone Pass... a road which winds up through that dip in the hills, top left. At the bottom of the dip is a tiny white dot: that's the Kirkstone Pass Inn, the highest pub in England (though a couple of American tourists once asked me to direct them to the "tallest pub", a very different thing altogether :)).

I generally pop into the pub whenever I pass. The weather outside can be pretty bleak; inside there's log fires and good beers, comfy chairs and friendly folk...

Digging the Shadow!

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
So many great pictures, I don't have time to comment on them all!
All I have to say is great work everyone!

ClixPix- That shot with the hole in the sphere, I think you should go back and take that shot again, but with a better composition. It has some good potential to be a good abstract photo.

Valdore- I LOVE that new shot with the car!

miranda.danny

macrumors member
May 29, 2007
Providence, RI
14,000 ft

After having lunch with my family, I snapped this picture of the Rocky Mountains from the parking lot of the burger joint in Winter Park, CO.

Camera: Canon EOS XTi
Lens: Tamron 17-50 f2.8 @ 50mm
ISO: 320
Exposure: 1/500 @ f/10

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
First time

After one of the much love newbie posts in the digital photography forums I decided to get the Nikon D40 kit. I am taking a class at my local community college through the continuing education department so that I can get some proper instruction. But, the day I brought it home I decided to go out and leave it on the auto setting and just take some pictures of my baby pony peaches. She's 7 months old (born on the 4th of July) and curious as heck. She wouldn't really get away from me long enough to let me take a good photo (the perils of a properly socialized equine youth :)) so I ended up with this for my first photo on my new D40. In case you can't tell, she was literally standing over me while I was sitting on a stump... :eek:

Attachments

• Peaches.jpg
    Peaches.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 81

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
After one of the much love newbie posts in the digital photography forums I decided to get the Nikon D40 kit. I am taking a class at my local community college through the continuing education department so that I can get some proper instruction. But, the day I brought it home I decided to go out and leave it on the auto setting and just take some pictures of my baby pony peaches. She's 7 months old (born on the 4th of July) and curious as heck. She wouldn't really get away from me long enough to let me take a good photo (the perils of a properly socialized equine youth :)) so I ended up with this for my first photo on my new D40. In case you can't tell, she was literally standing over me while I was sitting on a stump... :eek:

Is that a mole above its eye? Anyways, nice pic!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.