Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
wales2.jpg
Where are the 'Von Trapps'?

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Another Doylem classic image, congrats on the new iMac :cool:
I was briefly in your area the other week as I had to collect a relative in Blackburn and bring them up to Scotland for a funeral, unfortunately after I made the detour off the M6 down through Kendal into Windermere the light just totally vanished and I was only able to grab 1 mediocre shot :(

Thanks, Steamie. Next time you're passing - and you're not in a hurry - let me know...

That's a great shot of yours: the power and the surges and the movement...

Frosty morning on Rydal Water (close to where William Wordsworth lived)...

rydalwatereg7.jpg

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
Just got back from a month long holiday in Australia, and my first experience of using a DSLR as I posted in my other thread. Nikon D60 was my weapon of choice. I am a graphic designer, but I am very much a beginner when it comes to photography right now.

Anway here goes, just two shots out of the hundreds I took! Will post some another time where I tried out different things. Comments/thoughts very much appreciated. Still alot to learn

First shot: No real editing of the image itself, but this is two photo's I have merged together in Photoshop. Was my first real effort at playing around at night using a tripod.
dsc0010ks9.jpg

Second shot: This one is just one photo, as opposed to the previous merged. Just minor clean-up and crop in photoshop, minor compensation with the contrast and a very very small adjustment for the 'horizon' and that was about it.
dsc0053bcq9.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Anway here goes, just two shots out of the hundreds I took! Will post some another time where I tried out different things. Comments/thoughts very much appreciated. Still alot to learn

A couple of nice shots...

When I shoot 'night' shots, I try to use the hour after sunset, when there's still a bit of light in the sky. Once the sky is black, you're missing out on some fantastic, rich colour, which, if you time it right, will complement the artificial lighting. I'm imagining this marina shot with a dark blue sky - reflecting blue in the water too - with the lights adding to the mood, instead of being blown out.

The beach pix looks inviting, but, at the risk of being clichéd, I reckon it needs something else: a figure, boat, etc. The eye wanders around the picture... but there's nowhere to 'settle'.

Just my two-pennorth, and, as I say, nice shots anyway... :)

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
The beach pix looks inviting, but, at the risk of being clichéd, I reckon it needs something else: a figure, boat, etc. The eye wanders around the picture... but there's nowhere to 'settle'.

Just my two-pennorth, and, as I say, nice shots anyway... :)

I agree completely. The beach pic is wonderful but seems to need something else. a sail boat, or a single red umbrella. That would be completely cliche but that is why you see those things in this kind of shot.

Both nice shots though I must second that as well.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
I agree completely. The beach pic is wonderful but seems to need something else. a sail boat, or a single red umbrella. That would be completely cliche but that is why you see those things in this kind of shot.

Both nice shots though I must second that as well.

I agree with you both. Having said that I did take some dusk shots - and the results weren't that great in the marina. Just must have been from where I was standing. It was a good experience for me though.

The beach shot - well, it was actually a lake if you believe that, and I wish I could have had something in there, but when I arrived there wasn't a person to be found so I just started snapping. But I do agree, something cliche like a beach ball would have helped focus the eye - but when I was standing there in person, I couldn't even focus on one spot I was so taken away with the place. Good memories anyhow - enjoyed the feedback, thanks :)

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
Thanks, Steamie. Next time you're passing - and you're not in a hurry - let me know...

That's a great shot of yours: the power and the surges and the movement...

Frosty morning on Rydal Water (close to where William Wordsworth lived)...

rydalwatereg7.jpg

Thanks Mr Doylem, I'll certainly do that. Another cracking shot as well sir, love the light frosting on the rock.

Also Thanks very much to Zagato27, Nuwomb, Klownhead.

This looks lovely !

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
Cabin Fever :p

As they say "Now for something completely different" . This was a shot I took to amuse myself when stuck in the house due to having flu and the weather being too bad to go out :(

briwalkr

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2006
Bumpass, Virginia
You too -

Well just got my new Canon 100-400 lens today and it is dark when I get home from work so this is the best I could do with the moon tonight:

3195468342_e371a44cb7.jpg

Can't wait to get out and be able to take some proper wildlife shots in the daylight in a couple of weeks.

Congratulations on the new lens. My wife got me one for Christmas, and I had the same idea.

Nice shot, by the way. In comparison, it looks like my white balance is a little off.

Adjusted photo below - Color/tint/exposure have always been my downfall in the post processing arena. Thanks for a great picture for comparison.

p381998380-5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.