Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I took this August of 2007, when the weather was beautifully warm. I need something to take my mind off of the -17 degree Wisconsin winter...

Attachments

• eagleriver2007day3036vy0.jpg
    eagleriver2007day3036vy0.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 102

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I'm back in the picture business, having forked out more mucho $$ for a 24in iMac. Soooooo much space... like driving a Bentley after wedging myself into a Mini for years... :)

Derwent Water and rickety pier...

derwentml5.jpg

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
I'd like to see it in color, and is there any way to bring the levels up in another layer to get the eye to show?

I'll see if I can post the color picture tonight. A few of the shots from the trip seemed to scream B&W to me. the hazy blue of the sky was just a touch under medium grey, the dark blue of the ocean a pretty deep gray, and the pure black and white from the whale and the spray. But the color shots are nice as well.

You're the second person to ask for the eye. I wish I could but my only editing software is NX currently. Maybe when I upgrade to NX2 (my trial period already expired) i can manage. I was able to do some global changes on another shot and the eye is just barely visible.

Orca4.jpg

All post processing steps (which I don't recall because it was a lot of trial and error and undo-redo-undo-save) are different for this shot than the B&W.
I don't have access to the shot the eye was visible. It was a different whale. Many of the shots that turned out focus and framing wise were on the other side of the boat looking directly into the sun. And I thought elephants were hard to get a good shot back lit.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'll see if I can post the color picture tonight. A few of the shots from the trip seemed to scream B&W to me. the hazy blue of the sky was just a touch under medium grey, the dark blue of the ocean a pretty deep gray, and the pure black and white from the whale and the spray. But the color shots are nice as well.

If you crop down the sky and/or post process it, IMO the blue of the water way outshines doing it in B&W.

TheCodfather

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2009
Newfoundland, Canada
Kids With Color

I took this while playing with the aperature settings on my new finepix s1000fd, and i just love the contrast of the bright color with everything else dull. I added 2 versions with hope to get comments on which crop looks best...thanks...btw i'm new here and i wanted to say that this is a great forum!

Attachments

• kid_color.jpg
    kid_color.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 88
  • kid_color_crop.jpg
    kid_color_crop.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 75

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland

Awesome photo, love the colours and abstractness of it. Looks a wee bit like Koi Carp under water .

I'm back in the picture business, having forked out more mucho $$ for a 24in iMac. Soooooo much space... like driving a Bentley after wedging myself into a Mini for years... :)

Derwent Water and rickety pier...

derwentml5.jpg

Another Doylem classic image, congrats on the new iMac :cool:
I was briefly in your area the other week as I had to collect a relative in Blackburn and bring them up to Scotland for a funeral, unfortunately after I made the detour off the M6 down through Kendal into Windermere the light just totally vanished and I was only able to grab 1 mediocre shot :(

This is the first time I've been on here this year and it looks like it has got off to a great start going by the great shot's posted by everyone so far.

It was a pretty stormy day up here today !!

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Steamie, WOW!!!!!! ^^^^^^^

The picture (sky and horizon) looks angry but the water gentle. Really nice. Congrats.

nuwomb

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Vegas HDR learning

Steamie, WOW! I'm in awe! ND Filter???

Movieman76, did you do that HDR within Photomatix? Any other post work though lightroom/photoshop/aperture? It looks pretty good! There are just some things I might finalize through another program. I would consider lowering the saturation on the red building just a little, not much. Maybe play with the whitebalance a bit too because the snow looked a little blueish on my monitor.

Such a busy day I almost missed out:

movieman76

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2006
Steamie, WOW! I'm in awe! ND Filter???

Movieman76, did you do that HDR within Photomatix? Any other post work though lightroom/photoshop/aperture? It looks pretty good! There are just some things I might finalize through another program. I would consider lowering the saturation on the red building just a little, not much. Maybe play with the whitebalance a bit too because the snow looked a little blueish on my monitor.

Such a busy day I almost missed out:

Yes, I used Photomatix with some minor cropping and straightening done in Photoshop. Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Thanks, Wheelhot and Doylem! It's bitterly cold here so rather than go out to shoot something for my 365 POTD I set up a glass thingy that is partly clear and partly orangish-red, taking advantage of the sun streaming through one of my windows. Because the area in which I was working was pretty tight and limited with regard to space I couldn't use my tripod, so there was a little camera movement because I was moving in pretty close with the 60mm AF-S lens....

Glad you guys like it!

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Thanks, Wheelhot and Doylem! It's bitterly cold here so rather than go out to shoot something for my 365 POTD I set up a glass thingy that is partly clear and partly orangish-red, taking advantage of the sun streaming through one of my windows. Because the area in which I was working was pretty tight and limited with regard to space I couldn't use my tripod, so there was a little camera movement because I was moving in pretty close with the 60mm AF-S lens....
So that picture is from glasses and sunlight???? Yikes!!! ;)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
So that picture is from glasses and sunlight???? Yikes!!! ;)

It's a glass square, half of which is clear and the other half of which is orangish-red. The glass is not absolutely clear, there are intriguing artifacts in it. Having the sun shining through it made for some interesting images!

ETA: thanks, too, Steamie! Somehow I missed your comments earlier.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.