Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
3188099552_6320c373d6_o.jpg

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
this is pretty cool... I am totally all about experimentation. I like these and this one more than the other. was this your house?

yep, right at my house, we get good lighting forthat side of the house. Got some interesting stuff, I just need good lighting. maybe its time to invest in some home depot lights. =D

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Im having such a hard time doing HDR on my nikon D40, i basically need to take 3 pics starting from -5 exposure to +5? im confused :confused:

Sigur

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
Im having such a hard time doing HDR on my nikon D40, i basically need to take 3 pics starting from -5 exposure to +5? im confused :confused:

It doesn't have to be 3 pictures and it also doesn't have to be -5 to +5. Just make sure you have at least one picture to dark, one to bright and one in the middle. I use a Nikon D40x and I'm totally satisfied with my pictures: http://sigur.ipernity.com.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Kitten in "attack mode"

Focus done this way on purpose, straight off the camera
web.jpg

Rebel XSi, F1.6, Shutter at 1/40, ISO at 800 all using the 50mm Canon Lens (nifty-fifty)

Since the subject is the kitten she/he should be in focus and not the corner edge of the couch.

Crkwolf

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2008
California
Say what?

I wish the walls were cleaner but it was the expressions that got me for this pic. Not taken on a dslr, that's on my hopefully to get soon list.

100_2961_2.jpg

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
The picture is just upside down.

You could say that. But I still had to climb out on a ledge near the ceiling of the four story atrium, hold the camera upside down (yeah I know I could've done it by rotating it, but I thought it was about 'taking the picture' in this case) using live view mode.

jessica said:
Since the subject is the kitten she/he should be in focus and not the corner edge of the couch.

Right - so I suppose that since it's the subject, it SHOULD be in plain view too, not obscured? I don't think there are any SHOULDs in photography. You can argue you'd like it better if the kitten were in focus, but not any hard and fast rule. Besides, I think it works better here how he took it.

My subjects are out of focus too :p:

3186533249_929af365b3.jpg

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
I'm not sure I agree that there aren't any "SHOULD'S" in photography. A picture is a picture, but some tell a better story than others. I agree that it would have been a much more compelling shot if the cat, which was the primary focus, had been in focus.

If you were to try to portray the same idea, (cat on the prowl and in the out of focus background), it might have been better to have used another sort of foreground element. Maybe something like a mouse, or a cat toy, or something else that says "attack mode". The couch doesn't quite say the same thing. It just looks like either a cat behind a couch, or worse yet, that you were sloppy and didn't get the focus right.

Just my 2/100's.

MaddMacs

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Flagstaff, Az
San Juan Wildflowers

I took this one on the Colorado Trail from the pass at the top of Elk Creek. We were up there long enough to wait for the light to shine on all the wild flowers. It was taken a couple of summers ago, and I just re-discovered it in my archives.

2077782457_0e3615fb66_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.