Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
This is just a cheap shot of my newphews showing off some of their Christmas presents

Technically, I was pleased with it. Art/photographically speaking, it sucks... :D

I like the "adult" guitar in one hand, and the childish bunny in the other . . . showing a transition.

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
The weather up here has been dreadful the last few day's and I hadn't got any shot's, that was until I drove by a depot in Glasgow for the whisky maker Johnnie Walker today. A great example of being in the right place at the right time, as Lewis Hamilton (F1 World champion) was doing a car demonstration in their car park as a thank you for being one of his sponsers. Not the sharpest shot in the world as it was taken from an adjoining carpark and was shot through a mucky bus shelter :D

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
camera: Canon 1D Mk II N | lens: EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM @ 40mm (52mm in 35mm film SLR) | aperture: f/2.8 | shutter speed: 1/80s | ISO: 200 | metering: Evaluative |

The shot was taken in manual mode - that's the only way I understand the flash with the 1D (I just let ETTL do the work for me).

The bounced flash has worked well - it's nicely lit and the colours look good. But shooting at 2.8 means that both boys are not quite in focus. Your nephew on the left is fairly sharp, but the one on the right is quite soft. f4 might have got both faces sharp.

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
The bounced flash has worked well - it's nicely lit and the colours look good. But shooting at 2.8 means that both boys are not quite in focus. Your nephew on the left is fairly sharp, but the one on the right is quite soft. f4 might have got both faces sharp.

Yep, and the downside to f/4 would be that the background would be more defined, losing the some measure of the "pop".

What I got wrong was not getting the kids eyes onto the same focal plane. That would have helped out the focusing a great deal.

Oh well, their grandparents were happy.. :D

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
This is just a cheap shot of my newphews showing off some of their Christmas presents (I took this so I could print it off for their grandparents).

20090102__PER8372.jpg

WOW. that is one clear shot! I have rarely seen such crisp photos. Amazing!

nissan.gtp

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
Virginia
The weather up here has been dreadful the last few day's and I hadn't got any shot's, that was until I drove by a depot in Glasgow for the whisky maker Johnnie Walker today. A great example of being in the right place at the right time, as Lewis Hamilton (F1 World champion) was doing a car demonstration in their car park as a thank you for being one of his sponsers. Not the sharpest shot in the world as it was taken from an adjoining carpark and was shot through a mucky bus shelter :D

sweet timing on your part :cool:

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
This one was taken today.

IMG34440_cropclone_resized.png

Canon Rebel XT
ISO 100
f/6.3
1/100

-1 EV, some straightening/cropping, minor cloning and a tad of contrast boosting. Fun stuff.

FastEddy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
North Californie
Steamie: " The weather up here has been dreadful the last few day's and I hadn't got any shot's ... doing a car demonstration in their car park as a thank you for being one of his sponsors ... "

That explains the over-inflated tires = better on the wet surface = longer life ... in a "real" race, tires are quite a bit baggier = better grip. Being a bit of a car race nut, I noticed that first off in your great picture ... :cool:

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
First B&W

Well I finally managed to make my first B&W

3219767274_eb254cac11.jpg

As usual, comments and criticism is greatly appreciated. Oh yea, guess what this is anyway :D

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Well I finally managed to make my first B&W

As usual, comments and criticism is greatly appreciated. Oh yea, guess what this is anyway :D
I, for one, like it, but my eyes aren't very trained in B&W. Mind posting the color version so I can see how much B&W helps?

And I bet I know what it is... it's a foosball-kicker thing! :cool:

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a

Well, went out tonight and got some way better pictures than last night. Took them around Stanley Park in Vancouver. Pretty happy with them. Click on the image above for more.

Quick question: Is there a detrimental affect of using a low ISO, say 100 or 160, in scenes like this?

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
And I bet I know what it is... it's a foosball-kicker thing!
Yup, it is a foosball-kicker thing.

Anyway, I post it later, the colored vs b&w. Just came back from college.

cosmokanga2, was the water that smooth at night? I cant see any water ripples, and the reflection is just unbelievable.

Well regarding the ISO question, if possible I will always shoot at the lowest ISO, if its indoor, sadly I must crank up the ISO (I wonder if in the future we can crank up the ISO safely without sacrificing image quality) and having IS lens helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.