Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
.. and we had ice crystals literally growing on trees. whoohoo.. you should see a snapshot of my car.. this one i liked though the crystal has a very cool shape.

Taken with a Olympus E-510 @ 50mm stationary, F2.4, ISO 100

and yes i know i am one of the few with an olympus kit. It works great though...

An intriguing photograph. I particularly enjoy the crystal formation at the top. Well seen and terrific DOF.

MaddMacs

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Flagstaff, Az
I agree... but the problem, IMO, is that there's no light in the pic to give the scene a bit of 'sparkle', with slight over-exposure making the snow grey rather than white.

Hmm... Snow is tricky, trying to strike a balance between blown-out whites and unrealistic grays. You are correct, there was very little sunlight breaking through the gray clouds, and if you look closely there were patches of fog floating in between the crystaline frozen trees. It produced a particular mood that I tried to convey. I could boost the snow whiteness a bit, but too much, the trade-off would be to blow out the gray clouds. I settled for a little less realistic gray to keep the subtle contrasts in the snow (like the tracks). Now if there were direct sunlight on the snow, I would agree that the snow would be pure white, but diffused light on a gray day would produce a different effect, gray, when comparing them side by side (perhaps a more realistic gray than the pic..but I digress). I've had some critiques of sun lit snow that was pure white, but it didn't convey the subtle variations and texture. Another thing I noticed was the way it looked versus the website's white background. It magnifies the grayness of the picture. In Aperture the picture is set against a black background, toning down the grayness. Perhaps a black border around the picture would serve to balance the gray a bit, although I am not a big fan of borders. In print I would choose a dark matte, and a light frame.....anyway here is another gloomy pic from the same series:

Ghost Trees:
3169101122_d4343a55cd_b.jpg

Thanks for looking, and any criticism. I'm facinated by the different reactions and emotions that this series has evoked.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Anybody want to guess what this is?
Ah, that's a simple one, its Apple Wireless Keyboard :D

Did I get a prize or something for guessing correctly? I like how you get the aluminum texture but is it me or the keyboard looks bluish in your photos?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
You got it!!! :D

Yes, the keys look a little blue but I decided to leave things that way because I really was more interested in getting the texture of the aluminum power button to show up. My setup for this was not very fancy: I positioned the keyboard near a window, propped it on a black stand and also the power brick from one of my external drives (well, it happened to be right at hand and gave me the additional height I wanted!) draped a black cloth over the back of a chair behind the subject at a little distance, fiddled with various positions and angles, then started shooting. It was a grey day outside -- pouring rain -- but I wanted the less-intense light as I knew that bright lighting would blow out everything. In post-processing I then bumped back the exposure a bit more and kicked up the contrast, which further had an impact on the overall image. It was a fun project!

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Yes, the keys look a little blue but I decided to leave things that way because I really was more interested in getting the texture of the aluminum power button to show up. My setup for this was not very fancy: I positioned the keyboard near a window, propped it on a black stand and also the power brick from one of my external drives (well, it happened to be right at hand and gave me the additional height I wanted!) draped a black cloth over the back of a chair behind the subject at a little distance, fiddled with various positions and angles, then started shooting. It was a grey day outside -- pouring rain -- but I wanted the less-intense light as I knew that bright lighting would blow out everything. In post-processing I then bumped back the exposure a bit more and kicked up the contrast, which further had an impact on the overall image. It was a fun project!
Cool, interesting project.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
yes, i was there for my first time and i thought it was a great place.
Although i live in the SF Valley.
I want to get one of those apartments up there one day ;)
Good luck! I wouldn't be able to stand the music playing all the time though. :p

This shot isn't very fantastic at all compositionally, but I'm just happy I got to see a red-tailed hawk so close (and with the third eyelid up too!) It brought them up and soonafter started grooming (seeing the pictures of it groom with these little beady completely blue-filled eye sockets was somewhat unnerving)

IMG33166_resized.png

Canon Rebel XT
ISO 100
f/7.1
1/320

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
A two minute mockup from a shoot tonight. Part of a "Redhead Alliance" series.

Attachments

• fight.jpg
    fight.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 100

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Hmm... Snow is tricky, trying to strike a balance between blown-out whites and unrealistic grays. You are correct, there was very little sunlight breaking through the gray clouds, and if you look closely there were patches of fog floating in between the crystaline frozen trees. It produced a particular mood that I tried to convey. I could boost the snow whiteness a bit, but too much, the trade-off would be to blow out the gray clouds. I settled for a little less realistic gray to keep the subtle contrasts in the snow (like the tracks). Now if there were direct sunlight on the snow, I would agree that the snow would be pure white, but diffused light on a gray day would produce a different effect, gray, when comparing them side by side (perhaps a more realistic gray than the pic..but I digress). I've had some critiques of sun lit snow that was pure white, but it didn't convey the subtle variations and texture. Another thing I noticed was the way it looked versus the website's white background. It magnifies the grayness of the picture. In Aperture the picture is set against a black background, toning down the grayness. Perhaps a black border around the picture would serve to balance the gray a bit, although I am not a big fan of borders. In print I would choose a dark matte, and a light frame.....

Yep, snow is tricky, for all these reasons (and more). And it's difficult to shoot landscapes on a dull day, when the light isn't defining and describing at least some part of the composition. You say you wanted to convey a particular mood, but, well, a dull day generally produces dull pix... and I'm not sure there's any way around that.

In short (and I'm not trying to start an argument, honest :)), what your pic says to me is 'dull day', not 'particular mood'. Landscape photography, to me, is 95% about the light; without light it becomes hard work.

Your posting suggests a lot of thought. Maybe too much thought? When light is special, there's no need to think... just watch and shoot.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Hmm... Snow is tricky, trying to strike a balance between blown-out whites and unrealistic grays. You are correct, there was very little sunlight breaking through the gray clouds, and if you look closely there were patches of fog floating in between the crystaline frozen trees. It produced a particular mood that I tried to convey. I could boost the snow whiteness a bit, but too much, the trade-off would be to blow out the gray clouds. I settled for a little less realistic gray to keep the subtle contrasts in the snow (like the tracks). Now if there were direct sunlight on the snow, I would agree that the snow would be pure white, but diffused light on a gray day would produce a different effect, gray, when comparing them side by side (perhaps a more realistic gray than the pic..but I digress). I've had some critiques of sun lit snow that was pure white, but it didn't convey the subtle variations and texture. Another thing I noticed was the way it looked versus the website's white background. It magnifies the grayness of the picture. In Aperture the picture is set against a black background, toning down the grayness. Perhaps a black border around the picture would serve to balance the gray a bit, although I am not a big fan of borders. In print I would choose a dark matte, and a light frame.....anyway here is another gloomy pic from the same series:

Just out of curiosity where did you take your meter readings from for the original grey snow shot?

MaddMacs

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Flagstaff, Az
Just out of curiosity where did you take your meter readings from for the original grey snow shot?

Actually I was metering the frosty trees and the fog, which is what I thought was out of the ordinary. I tried to adjust the midcontrast to bring the clouds back from being blownout, unfortunately the snow was also effected.

Yep, snow is tricky, for all these reasons (and more). And it's difficult to shoot landscapes on a dull day, when the light isn't defining and describing at least some part of the composition. You say you wanted to convey a particular mood, but, well, a dull day generally produces dull pix... and I'm not sure there's any way around that.

In short (and I'm not trying to start an argument, honest :)), what your pic says to me is 'dull day', not 'particular mood'. Landscape photography, to me, is 95% about the light; without light it becomes hard work.

Your posting suggests a lot of thought. Maybe too much thought? When light is special, there's no need to think... just watch and shoot.

You mean like this, or am I still way off?
3179032504_afe9524152_b.jpg

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
It's time for more macros! ;)

This was taken with a 100mm macro, ring flash and 68mm of extension tubes. Bottle blue fly (Diptera: Calliphoridae). No cropping was done to the pic, I just resized it. :D

Canon XTi, 100mm macro, 68mm Kenko extension tubes
f14, 1/200, ISO 200

Attachments

• Calliphoridae de frente 02.jpg
    Calliphoridae de frente 02.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 129

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51

This was taken with a 100mm macro, ring flash and 68mm of extension tubes. Bottle blue fly (Diptera: Calliphoridae). No cropping was done to the pic, I just resized it. :D

f14, 1/200, ISO 200

Those new tubes seem to be working out great for you!

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
got a few HDR shots I was playing with mid-day, had some great shadows.

Attachments

• web.jpg
    web.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 173

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

f14, 1/200, ISO 200

Being the squeamish type, I'm rarely taken in by bug shots. This one is an exception. The focus only on the geometry of the eyes really brings out the beauty of their forms and subdues the monstrous qualities of the rest of the fly. Great shot.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
got a few HDR shots I was playing with mid-day, had some great shadows.
Wow, that is a great HDR, I love that kind of HDR, the kind where it doesn't look overdone, and it still look real and Im sure normal viewers will be like, hmm. How did he get such a beautiful shot? Get what I mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.