Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
lonetree.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
It's rare for me to critique one of yours... and I love the winter scenes, but this one and the previous one with the sheep looks overexposed to me... the snow looks blown out... I know it's a tricky exposure in the snow with all the flat light brightness under a winter sky... but where the detail is lost it just looks like where on the old "negative" (if you will... ;) ) it has just gone clear...

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Enduring winter, Utah

Doylem's shots reminded me of trees in snow...I might have posted this before, but I can't remember... but I remember the day I took this up in the mountains of southern Utah. The snow was blowing in powdery drifts and it was about 20F, with wind chill much colder. I took a couple of quick shots barehanded with my old 35mm Canon before I had to put my gloves back on to avoid serious frostbite.
trees.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
It's rare for me to critique one of yours... and I love the winter scenes, but this one and the previous one with the sheep looks overexposed to me... the snow looks blown out... I know it's a tricky exposure in the snow with all the flat light brightness under a winter sky... but where the detail is lost it just looks like where on the old "negative" (if you will... ;) ) it has just gone clear...

Criticism is fine... I over-exposed deliberately, to give that 'white-out' feeling (we were the only people out walking after a heavy fall of snow. We didn't see another footprint all morning, which is kinda special in itself). I increased the contrast to get rid of even more detail in the white areas... and the black point, to make the tree more prominent. Snow merging into snow was how it felt that day... timeless, elemental.

But just because it was deliberate... doesn't necessarily mean that it works... ;)

^^^ The kind of pic that grows on you, with repeat viewing. It works (for me...) because of the hazy light. Without the haze, the sun would have been burnt out, and the whole effect too extreme. But with the haze, the sun kinda spreads into a halo and merges into the branches.

It looks authentic - ie more to do with light and seeing (than PP) - and atmospheric. Bare trees + mist + hazy sunshine = a winning combination... :)

And I've shot HDRs in these conditions... and it works a treat...

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
/"\/oo\/"\;9098869 said:
:eek: Hope no one was injured...there's certainly a joke of some sort in the remains of the sign in the lower left

The building was closed at the time , anyone inside got out OK, didn't pay attention to the sign when I posted the pic . Demolition guys are there now pushing the shell down . Now to try to PS those power lines out .

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
paradise-pier-california-adventure.jpg

Canon EOS 5D Mark II :: 19 mm :: f 11 :: 5 sec :: iso 500

I used a GorillaPod wrapped around the railing. It worked great holding my 5DII w/Battery Grip and 17-40 F4L, so a pretty decent amount of weight and it stayed true. I was borrowing a friends and will be picking one up for myself soon.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

If bumping the exposure wasn't to kill tracks or marks in the snow, then it's a bit much as presented- if you cropped out the wall at the bottom it'd work much better.

A timely photo...

JustInTime.jpg

So, so close to perfect, but the light reflection is a bit much for my taste.

Next time, try to give the bird a bit more "space" to "look" in- if most of the space behind the head were in front of the beak, it'd be a much better balanced photo. A slightly lower perspective would help a bit too- but nice capture anyway.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
So, so close to perfect, but the light reflection is a bit much for my taste.

Thanks, compuwar. I wanted the reflection to deemphasize everything except the date, Jan 17th--which was yesterday's date, the date I took the picture. Perhaps there might have been a better way to do it, though.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Thanks, compuwar. I wanted the reflection to deemphasize everything except the date, Jan 17th--which was yesterday's date, the date I took the picture. Perhaps there might have been a better way to do it, though.

The problem is that the eye is drawn to the light, so we actually move down away from the date. The leading lines work, the tonality kills it- it's at the top, it'd be emphasized by position, and you could have brightened it a bit in post if you wanted- but it's *so* close to great that I keep trying to get past the low-contrast bright area, but can't seem to do so.

Paul

spitfirejd

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
Magnolia, Delaware, USA
Bald Eagle in flight

First time shooting the eagles with my 7D. Definitely a better keeper rate than with the 50D (or maybe I just got lucky today). The 7D AF system rocks. Today's shots are the best eagle BIFs I've taken so far, although the light isn't great. Light was poor until the eagles left then the sun came out. Go figure. These are also the first I've shot in M mode.

p237002904-4.jpg

C&C always welcome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.