Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Thanks for your thoughts, compuwar. Does this version fix it for you?

JustInTime2.jpg

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
First time shooting the eagles with my 7D. Definitely a better keeper rate than with the 50D (or maybe I just got lucky today). The 7D AF system rocks. Today's shots are the best eagle BIFs I've taken so far, although the light isn't great. Light was poor until the eagles left then the sun came out. Go figure. These are also the first I've shot in M mode.

p237002904-4.jpg

C&C always welcome.

Great shot! Location?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Thanks for your thoughts, compuwar. Does this version fix it for you?

JustInTime2.jpg

It's better, but not enough I'm afraid- if you shorten your browser so the first three lines are visible and look at it- it's got a tonality that fits well with the subject- if you then lengthen the window, you can see how the low-contrast area takes away from that "feel."

Paul

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
It's better, but not enough I'm afraid- if you shorten your browser so the first three lines are visible and look at it- it's got a tonality that fits well with the subject- if you then lengthen the window, you can see how the low-contrast area takes away from that "feel."

Paul

OK, thanks, but I think this is the point at which I have to disagree. The reflection obscuring all but that day's date was what stimulated me in taking that picture; equalizing them to bring out all of the dates would result in something rather different. Nonetheless, I'm very grateful for your input because I do prefer the second version.

Wouldn't you know it, a frozen poet...

PresSqComplementaryClrs2.jpg

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
Got a few shots coming up all from the same competition. First one here is one of the USA's top 58kilogram women weightlifters, Rixelyx Riveria is seen here with 85kilo's in the snatch, a devastatingly easy lift for her.

Attachments

• riveria_snatch  001.jpg
    riveria_snatch 001.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 119

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
At the end of the line !

4285770157_9a638dc268_o.jpg

I appreciate this is not a great shot... but for those of us who know... this is a natural 2.5 Kilo ( 5.5lb) lake trout my buddy caught today. He was yelling at me to lose the camera so I could help land the fish! What a laugh! I wanted to put on the polarizer but... (20 cm ice +1c. ridiculous for January 18th )

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
Time to get back in the game... New 5D Mark ii in hand and it's stellar! Went out today with my friend for MLK day so she could shoot for Photojournalism class and went to a celebration at the National Cathedral.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Time to get back in the game... New 5D Mark ii in hand and it's stellar! Went out today with my friend for MLK day so she could shoot for Photojournalism class and went to a celebration at the National Cathedral.

I have a feeling most camera's would need an HDR to pull that range of light off. You are so lucky :)

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
OK, thanks, but I think this is the point at which I have to disagree. The reflection obscuring all but that day's date was what stimulated me in taking that picture; equalizing them to bring out all of the dates would result in something rather different. Nonetheless, I'm very grateful for your input because I do prefer the second version.

Wouldn't you know it, a frozen poet...

PresSqComplementaryClrs2.jpg

Love this!

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

I have a feeling most camera's would need an HDR to pull that range of light off. You are so lucky :)

HDR... :eek:

What the pic is crying out for, IMO, isn't HDR... it's light... to pick out some architectural detail... to add contrast... to thow another part of the composition into shadow... to pull some parts of the picture forward and push others back... to focus the viewer's eye on the subject (whatever it was that originally attracted the photographer to the scene), etc.

If light was a product - Light (version 2.0) - it would be sold as software so subtle and sophisticated that it would make Photoshop look like a child's toy...

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2007

What the pic is crying out for, IMO, isn't HDR... it's light... to pick out some architectural detail... to add contrast... to thow another part of the composition into shadow... to pull some parts of the picture forward and push others back... to focus the viewer's eye on the subject (whatever it was that originally attracted the photographer to the scene), etc.

If light was a product - Light (version 2.0) - it would be sold as software so subtle and sophisticated that it would make Photoshop look like a child's toy...

:eek:

I think you're putting way more into what NathanCH wrote than he did himself. I think he probably meant that the shot from the 5DII has such great dynamic range that this shot would be difficult to pull off on other cameras without image stacking, HRD or whatever you want to call it.

HDR imaging does NOT necessarily always equal 'over the top, hardcore tonemapped, painting like, out of this world-looking images' :).

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
I can see what you mean and it does get better range but I have to agree with Doylem, it does need more light and I have one that is brighter, this one had the better sky and was the only one I could work on last night :p

I agree, like I said above, this was just a quick process to get an image up :)

There will be more! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.