Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008

Didn't get the shot I really wanted but I tried so many times and this is the best one that came out. I wanted the background to be completely white but I like how this one came out. Kinda neat photo I think.

Light Science & Magic has a good amount of the book dedicated to shooting glass and different lighting techniques. I would suggest the book as a must for basic photo library. Overall I think this is a great capture and good timing, I like the shot, and when you say "tried so many times" I appreciate the resolve as well, I don't have the patience normally to fulfill my vision on shots like this.

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
IMG_0951.jpg

:cool:

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Nice light, and soft, soothing colors. I kind of wish the point of resolution didn't end up in the far corner, but I like that we don't see where the tracks ultimately lead.

Very nice, Reef!

Another one from earlier in the month:

LukPrimaryClrs.jpg

This is my favorite of your recent shots--deliciously deep and vibrant colors!

A few days shy of 7 months old...

I like the high key treatment here--you may want to consider dialing back the eyes to bring them more in balance with the rest of the picture. Beautiful little girl:D

One final shot from NYC over Christmas:

cities-3.jpg

My kind of shot! Nice PP work and an interesting composition.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Had a break in the rain and took my tripod to shoot the Tacoma Light Rail. It came around the corner just as I set the legs in position and I had to rush to get the camera mounted. Not real good, but night stuff isn't my forte.

lightrailatnight.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1.6s f/8.0 ISO100 28mm

Dale

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
BSW_2830-2.jpg

Also of a Lightrail train, this one's from Salt Lake City, and is another from the series I posted on Tuesday in this thread. D700 and 24-70 f/2.8, 13 seconds at f/22 and ISO 200

SLC

mikeschmeee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Light Science & Magic has a good amount of the book dedicated to shooting glass and different lighting techniques. I would suggest the book as a must for basic photo library. Overall I think this is a great capture and good timing, I like the shot, and when you say "tried so many times" I appreciate the resolve as well, I don't have the patience normally to fulfill my vision on shots like this.

Hey thanks! I'm still not completely satisfied with the photo. I did three sessions and considering doing it again this weekend. I was bouncing the light off a white piece of paper but it was tricky with the angle I was going with. As you can see it didn't light up the photo as much as I wanted. I've designed a 24x24x24 inch "light box" so that might work for some future photos that will need a good source of light.
I've actually picked up that book a few days ago! It has some really good stuff/tips in it. I'll be trying some of the things I learned from it on the next lighting photo session.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Your photos should come with warnings to breathe deeply before viewing. They are breathless.

I can't tell you how much I like this shot, but I will try anyway.

The image is perfectly plum and level. The flag pole on the top of the building is dead vertical and the window is level. Do you use a hot-shoe level or just the one on your tripod?

Most folks would botch a shot like this, but your patience has led to just the right light on the branches to balance the misty waters to the left of the walkway. The right portion doesn't look busy or badly cropped to me due to the light and detail. The clarity of the sheen of moisture on the stones run my eye right out into the mist of the lake. Wonderful.

Dale

It is a striking shot and I also loved it. Looks like something straight out of Myst.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
took this one last night. I live in a country wher in the winter its dark 80% of the time, plus i have a day job so during this time period most of my shots are night shots... :(
The tripod and cam were set in a field with a radio remote trigger attached.
25sec exposure, f8, ISO50
I then sat in my car at the far end of the alley, put the highbeams on and pushed the trigger, then floored it and plowed to the end of the tree alley.
The effect is a underlit treeline and a lighttrail :D C & C is really very welcome at this point and i do apologize if the whole dark shot theme becomes mundane but one has to get creative with the surroundings :D

Attachments

• IMG_0983-Edit.jpg
    IMG_0983-Edit.jpg
    843.1 KB · Views: 156

spitfirejd

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
Magnolia, Delaware, USA
took this one last night. I live in a country wher in the winter its dark 80% of the time, plus i have a day job so during this time period most of my shots are night shots... :(
The tripod and cam were set in a field with a radio remote trigger attached.
25sec exposure, f8, ISO50
I then sat in my car at the far end of the alley, put the highbeams on and pushed the trigger, then floored it and plowed to the end of the tree alley.
The effect is a underlit treeline and a lighttrail :D C & C is really very welcome at this point and i do apologize if the whole dark shot theme becomes mundane but one has to get creative with the surroundings :D

That's just freakin' cool! Great way to work with the local climate and a very imaginative way to add light to the scene. I love this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.