Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Quetico PP, Ontario. Late August

4269579307_a00bc64006_o.jpg

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
The last train home, (which I missed while frantically packing up my gear). Subsequently had to make the trip on foot in 20 degree cold. Click on it, the colors are much better when you do!

SLC

Attachments

• BSW_2831.jpg
    BSW_2831.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 146

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
IMG_0898.jpg

i really need a macro lens..haa.

I kinda keep coming back to this one and thought I might add a comment.

The rule of thirds is sometimes not just about composition of the placement of objects within the frame but for a shot like this focus. I'm not really a huge fan of shots like this, however I think this one would have much more appeal if the plane of focus were down around either the N or M key, maybe in between so both were clear/sharp. I think the f/stop on this is good, It would be a bit distracting to have a super sharp line and very blurry numbers, so your DOF is good in my opinion. The plane of focus as it is just cuts the photo in half, I think it would be better to have it "closer to the viewer" or in this shot toward the bottom of the frame.

Maybe try it out and let me know if I'm on or off base?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

Gee, first you were good and now you are great. What's next, a Greek Goddess?

Intriguing photo here. I read two images. One exposed at 12:31 pm and another at 1:12 am New Years Eve. This is from a program called EXIF Viewer. Does your 7D allow multiple exposures?

You really like your 100mm macro, don't you. Got to have one of those.

Dale

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
I kinda keep coming back to this one and thought I might add a comment.

The rule of thirds is sometimes not just about composition of the placement of objects within the frame but for a shot like this focus. I'm not really a huge fan of shots like this, however I think this one would have much more appeal if the plane of focus were down around either the N or M key, maybe in between so both were clear/sharp. I think the f/stop on this is good, It would be a bit distracting to have a super sharp line and very blurry numbers, so your DOF is good in my opinion. The plane of focus as it is just cuts the photo in half, I think it would be better to have it "closer to the viewer" or in this shot toward the bottom of the frame.

Maybe try it out and let me know if I'm on or off base?

definitely!! thanks for input on the picture, i took another one similar in a way of what your talking about. but i'll post it up in a few minutes.

i appreciate the comments, so it can make me a better photographer in the long run seeing others perspectives.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

Very nice. Berwick-on-Tweed? Such clarity of light... and snow that looks like snow (rather than being given some 'orrible pastel tint in PP :eek:)...

Intriguing & mysterious...

Kinda sad. Someone's nailed wooden batterns to the wall, to make them look like shutters...

I've been staying at this wonderful little circular building, called Beamsley Hospital: actually almshouses for poor widows, built in the 16th century. To get to each tiny room, they had to go through the central chapel. It was fun to try and get some pictures of the building at night, with the snow on the ground and the light coming through the windows. A magical place...

hospitalday.jpg

hospitalnight.jpg

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Solo Buck 2

Snapped this in late December and finally edited it a bit. Removed a small tree behind the left most tine and basic pp.
shot with a 55-300 on my Pentax K100D
The details are on my other computer so I forget those :)
Enjoy!
Just had this blown up to a 12x18 for my office wall.

Snapped near Iron Bridge, ON.

Attachments

• Solo buck.jpg
    Solo buck.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 103

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Intriguing & mysterious...

Thanks. :)

Gee, first you were good and now you are great. What's next, a Greek Goddess?

Intriguing photo here. I read two images. One exposed at 12:31 pm and another at 1:12 am New Years Eve. This is from a program called EXIF Viewer. Does your 7D allow multiple exposures?

You really like your 100mm macro, don't you. Got to have one of those.

Dale

Well, thanks, Dale. Yes, I've photographed plenty of Greek goddesses.

No, that's a single, 30-second exposure, not two combined or anything tricky like that. There were a lot of people walking around wearing these blinky headgear things, and I just waited for one of them to cross the bridge. Perhaps the other date is when I did the raw conversion?

Yeah, that 100mm is a lot of fun. I've been using it a lot lately, and come springtime, I'll be using it even more. No flower will be safe. ;)

SonicChronicler

macrumors member
Very nice. Berwick-on-Tweed? Such clarity of light... and snow that looks like snow (rather than being given some 'orrible pastel tint in PP :eek:)...

Thanks very much for your comment Doylem, it means a lot. You are a master of Landscapes and light. The sky was so blue that day it made for some great shots.

The Bridge is at Norham, a few miles from Berwick - same river though - The Tweed.

Also thanks to trsnrtr. All comments appreciated.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Thanks. :)

Well, thanks, Dale. Yes, I've photographed plenty of Greek goddesses.

No, that's a single, 30-second exposure, not two combined or anything tricky like that. There were a lot of people walking around wearing these blinky headgear things, and I just waited for one of them to cross the bridge. Perhaps the other date is when I did the raw conversion?

Yeah, that 100mm is a lot of fun. I've been using it a lot lately, and come springtime, I'll be using it even more. No flower will be safe. ;)

Yes. That's it. RAW conversion and processing is like a second exposure to the same file. This is indeed an interesting photo. The file info had me scratching my head.

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.