Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Queen Street bridge over the Don River in snow, Toronto

D85_5773-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

The bridge was built in 1911 and is considered "public art" in Toronto. The phrase "This river I step in is not the river I stand in" is taken from the philosophy of Heraclitus. I really have no idea what it means.

Toronto public transit electric street cars (others call them trams or trolleys) are often photographed in snow because of the bright contrasting colours.

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016

The bridge was built in 1911 and is considered "public art" in Toronto. The phrase "This river I step in is not the river I stand in" is taken from the philosophy of Heraclitus. I really have no idea what it means.

Toronto public transit electric street cars (others call them trams or trolleys) are often photographed in snow because of the bright contrasting colours.

I like the muted colors other than the bus here. :)

17/365 | Flecked

FB_January_17_2018_001.jpg

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
The local beach at sunset, right at the moment when the sun slipped beyond the horizon fully. There's a path up top here on the left that goes for about 5 K's as a return walk which we take each evening around sunset, more for the dogs' benefit, I suspect, than ours.

_MG_9573-X3.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L, Multi-segment Metering, Manual Mode
ISO 400, 24mm, f/11, 1/250

[doublepost=1516223048][/doublepost]

D85_5773-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

That's picture postcard stuff, Peter! You should submit it to the local tourism board.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The local beach at sunset, right at the moment when the sun slipped beyond the horizon fully. There's a path up top here on the left that goes for about 5 K's as a return walk which we take each evening around sunset, more for the dogs' benefit, I suspect, than ours.

_MG_9573-X3.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L, Multi-segment Metering, Manual Mode
ISO 400, 24mm, f/11, 1/250

[doublepost=1516223048][/doublepost]
That's picture postcard stuff, Peter! You should submit it to the local tourism board.
Well you should do the same! BTW your location looks more enticing! (Sorry Peter!)
[doublepost=1516229435][/doublepost]

17/365 | Flecked

View attachment 747346
Maybe this should be in the eye benders thread? What is it?

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Oh, nothing anyone would guess. It is a glass starfish with gold flakes embedded in it, and this is a macro of just the gold. I will try to take a photo of the whole thing later.
I thought it had to be a glass sculpture or glass product of some sort, to have the gold flecks floating there, with those gentle undulations to them.

Photographing glass objects under very diffused light works well, with an added single point of light somewhere to highlight its shape and form nicely. Halogen desk lamps with a piece of baking paper in front works well to diffuse light. You have to play with how far you need to be from the paper and how far that needs to be from the glass item, but it can be done simply, and another lamp or even a little LED torch can be used for the rim/catch light. And don't be scared to work on a tripod with a slower shutter speed, on 10 second delay, this allows you to hold the paper and torch if necessary.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, Molly!

Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016
Hmmmm....I hadn’t thought of taking a “real” photo of this, but I posted it in several places today and everyone is wondering about it. Maybe I will set up a strobe or two tomorrow and try an actual product photo. :) What do you mean by baking paper? Is that what I would call parchment paper? Silicone lined?

I thought it had to be a glass sculpture or glass product of some sort, to have the gold flecks floating there, with those gentle undulations to them.

Photographing glass objects under very diffused light works well, with an added single point of light somewhere to highlight its shape and form nicely. Halogen desk lamps with a piece of baking paper in front works well to diffuse light. You have to play with how far you need to be from the paper and how far that needs to be from the glass item, but it can be done simply, and another lamp or even a little LED torch can be used for the rim/catch light. And don't be scared to work on a tripod with a slower shutter speed, on 10 second delay, this allows you to hold the paper and torch if necessary.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, Molly!

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Hmmmm....I hadn’t thought of taking a “real” photo of this, but I posted it in several places today and everyone is wondering about it. Maybe I will set up a strobe or two tomorrow and try an actual product photo. :) What do you mean by baking paper? Is that what I would call parchment paper? Silicone lined?
It would definitely be worth the effort, Molly! Baking paper is the stuff you line baking trays and cake tins with. Just checked on the googlenet, and yeah you folks call it parchment paper. If you have remote triggers and stands for your strobes, you'll be laughing. You'll just need to hold the paper somehow, which you can do yourself if needed, by working on a tripod with a 10 second delay. But, if you've got a large soft-box, bigger than 12", that would work just as well.

I've been known to use a mobile clothes rack, with the baking paper hanging from it on strings, weighted at the bottom with pegs, so as to keep it from curling up too much. I worked on our kitchen table and put the base of the clothes rack under and inside one of the corner legs of the dining table, so I could get it diagonally across a corner, with my flash behind it and the object the other side. This way I was free to hover over the camera and tripod, for all thats worth! :oops:

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016
Well I have two strobes and three different sized softboxes and a flash, plus white seamless (that has yellowed over the years :confused:). So that will be my tomorrow photo!

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Well I have two strobes and three different sized softboxes and a flash, plus white seamless (that has yellowed over the years :confused:). So that will be my tomorrow photo!
Cool, you're all set, no need for the baking paper, just use a large soft box for soft even light, and your other strobe or the flash for rim/catch light. If you have a snoot, that could give a really tight rim/catch light. :cool:

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I call it a Mallow. Mrs AFB said it's called Lavatera.
I bet @Ish would know!
You're both right! There are loads of mallows and Lavatera is one genus in a large group. It looks like a Lavatera to me. (Some of them have been reclassified as Malva but I don't know which ones)

Hope you're all in one piece after the winds last night!

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Nope, just boring management meetings.... but now you showed me these.... I will check them out soon...

Don't enter the shop or don't bring money. I used to pass the nivo schweitzer shop every day when I worked in Amsterdam. Fortunately they opened after I passed.

Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Don't enter the shop or don't bring money. I used to pass the nivo schweitzer shop every day when I worked in Amsterdam. Fortunately they opened after I passed.

Yes my immediate issue is the shops in Schiphol.... last night the flight delay cost me a new suitcase! me with time to kick my heels is not a good thing... Luckily, I think I am going to be spending most time in Amstelveen and Alphen den Rijn (I know I mangled the spelling on that one sorry)....

Love the lens flare in this one hope you do too.

DSCF5907-Edit.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

Last edited:

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto

Thank you both and I may just do that Alex. Have to say that it's a refreshing change to do some shots around town without having to spend countless hours driving in the wee hours of the morning.

~ Peter

Reactions: kenoh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.