Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jun 16, 2008
3686738295_7f8e9b0ed4.jpg

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
What are some good spots in Minnesota to shoot? I am new in Minnesota :(

Welcome to Minnesota! Minnesota seems to have some of everything. It all depends on what you like to photograph.

In the Twin Cities area you have the ability to do some urban photograph (architecture, bridges, people, etc.). Minnesota has the river bluffs in the southeastern part of the state (try early morning if you are on the Wisconsin side or evening on the Minnesota side). Central Minnesota can be fun, but since I live there I tend to find it boring.

My favorite part of the state is the North Shore. There you have Duluth (also good for urban stuff), Two Harbors, Grand Marias, Split Rock, Gooseberry Falls (and a ton of other waterfalls along MN61), and several state parks. If you are a outdoors person you might like a weekend in the BWCA or Voyagers Nat. Park.

The southwestern park of the state is a lot of farm fields. You do have Buffalo Ridge if you want to photograph windmills. The St. Croix valley (east central) and Stillwater are great places to go for an afternoon.

I guess I'm out of ideas on were to go now. Have Fun!

John

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Where

What are some good spots in Minnesota to shoot? I am new in Minnesota :(

Where are you located? JohnMC had good ideas, Duluth and any of the Falls provide for great outdoors stuff.

If you are in the Twin Cities, check out the Stone Arch Bridge Area, you can go down to the shore and get some neat angles of stuff, and there is also a urban swamp/marsh thing with all sorts of bridges and weird things.

scott2006

macrumors member
May 1, 2006
burnsville, MN
Where are you located? JohnMC had good ideas, Duluth and any of the Falls provide for great outdoors stuff.

If you are in the Twin Cities, check out the Stone Arch Bridge Area, you can go down to the shore and get some neat angles of stuff, and there is also a urban swamp/marsh thing with all sorts of bridges and weird things.

Thanks! I have a lot of places to visit now and take photos :D

ColinEC

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2008
Started to rain during a sunset today, grabbed my point and shoot and took this:

I accidentally left flash on, but it did good.

Vel

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2008
Hi All,

I've been a long time reader, and I've just got a D90 last week. While at The Forbidden Corner on Saturday I took a few pictures and heres one of them I thought I'd share with you, C&C is welcome as I'm pretty new to the DSLR scene and to my camera in general so any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Vel

dsc00822s.jpg

Clickable!

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
^^^

Hi Vel...

I've clicked on your link but nothing shows up...

stoodleypikehighcontras.jpg

I don't feel very comfortable about posting someone else's pic here, but I haven't been able to find the photographer's real name. I'm intrigued by this high-contrast treatment of the landscape, and wonder if anyone can point me towards a tutorial - or other info - on how to create something similar. Thanks...

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
Night Sky

Went out to shoot the moon last night and ended up playing... till very early this morning.

50 mm, F1.4, 30 sec, ISO 100

Attachments

• 20090712_night sky.jpg
    20090712_night sky.jpg
    748.4 KB · Views: 88

Vel

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2008
^^^

Hi Vel...

I've clicked on your link but nothing shows up...

I've re-uploaded it now, I tried direct linking it from my MobileMe account, but it didn't seem to work? Anyone know how to get it to work in future.

Hi All,

I've been a long time reader, and I've just got a D90 last week. While at The Forbidden Corner on Saturday I took a few pictures and heres one of them I thought I'd share with you, C&C is welcome as I'm pretty new to the DSLR scene and to my camera in general so any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Vel

dsc0082ept.jpg

Clickable!

[Original Post Edited]

Jon-Luke

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2009
Cape Town
Cloudy Ocean

With the help of Lightroom some of the hidden color has been enhanced (But you probably guessed that already)

Attachments

• Cloudy Ocean.jpg
    Cloudy Ocean.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 96
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.