Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
Dude Mt. flowers

Two shot pano of the alpine flowers.

Shooting with a 50mm 1.4 on my D80 f16 1/40 hand held.

These flowers were up near the summit of Dude Mt, on the narrow ridge just below the snow line. Just below the first major patch of snow yesterday afternoon. The alpine shot was mine, and the shot of Dude Mt was taken by my daughter out of the back of the truck on the way back to town. Good day to be in Southeast Alaska.:D

Attachments

• 20090712_-flowers-Dude-Mt.jpg
    20090712_-flowers-Dude-Mt.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 20090712_0158-Dude-Mt.jpg
    20090712_0158-Dude-Mt.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 82

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
On a separate note, Acsom, that photo is awesome. The lighting, colors, exposure, it just all comes together. Plus I love the woods, so anything that implies spending time there is cool.

Thank you! I got a little lucky. I'd gone to that location in the evening, to take a shot upstream and downstream from the bridge. When I got there, I thought, "That looks nice," and snapped ONE shot, handheld. I then set up the tripod on the bridge, spent a half an hour shooting up and down the creek. When I looked at them all, they were OK, but nothing special; nice, and boring. I was about to relegate the lot to the hdd, when the first thumbnail caught my eye and I thought, "Hmmmm."

Later that evening, I drove up to the local cinema and took this experiment:

abstract.jpg

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
So you have been trying to make your images come out soft?

Years ago at another site there was a woman who always left a disclaimer on her images "intentional blur". This was something that I've always laughed at as I never understood why someone would blur their image intentionally. Perhaps that is my lack of knowledge of photography. :cool:

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
Yes, the 'feel' is good, and the light is wonderful, but, for me, it's a shame the subject of the pic doesn't quite match up...

I know what you are saying, it isn't the type of subject that I would normally shoot or like as in one aspect it just looks like a load of cars parked on a street. However for some unquantifiable reason with the light and mood being the way it is I really like it ... which somehow defies my normal logic :D

Another bugshot today :)

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
really awesome, but

SteppingStones1.jpg

Stepping stones across the River Dodder at Bushy Park, Dublin, Ireland.

Would appreciate some C&C on this one; I'm not sure about the way the nearest steps disappear out of the frame on the right. Maybe needs to be retaken with a wider angle?

I would use a much more shallow dof?

object88

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
I would use a much more shallow dof?

I disagree, although I can see how that would be appealing. Personally, I would move the camera so that it wasn't directly in line with the edge of the steps. I find that line so strong that it's hard to pull my focus onto the rest of the photo.

Regardless, I think it's a great shot.

bld44

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2007
Low lake levels

Nothing extravagant, but I liked this picture a lot for some reason. There's usually a giant marina here.
DSC_0230.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.