Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Educ8r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
4th largest city in the USA
20090712-x3pnygfpgw6u8g575f318pgfs7.jpg

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN

Vel, I'll offer some friendly constructive criticism. The flower is dead center in your shot and not really the center of attention. When I first saw your shot, my eye wondered all over the place. I don't know what type of lens you're using, but try getting much closer and filling the entire frame with just one flower. Also, try using the rule of thirds. Keep shooting, you will get better. I think everyone on Macrumors has done the same thing before.

"The best way to learn is to play" - Bert Monroy

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
I've re-uploaded it now, I tried direct linking it from my MobileMe account, but it didn't seem to work? Anyone know how to get it to work in future.

Upload the photo to your public area, click on the file, then click on Share file. Mobileme will generate a unique link. Copy that link and use it as your direct link in this forum.
0zffj9

Joe King

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
SteppingStones1.jpg

Stepping stones across the River Dodder at Bushy Park, Dublin, Ireland.

Would appreciate some C&C on this one; I'm not sure about the way the nearest steps disappear out of the frame on the right. Maybe needs to be retaken with a wider angle?

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
SteppingStones1.jpg

Stepping stones across the River Dodder at Bushy Park, Dublin, Ireland.

Would appreciate some C&C on this one; I'm not sure about the way the nearest steps disappear out of the frame on the right. Maybe needs to be retaken with a wider angle?

I like it. The repetition of the stepping stones works. I would have tried turning the camera to the left a bit more though so that you can see what was down the stream. I would leave the stepping stones at the edge of the screen as they then feel that they go on an on. Notice how the line pattern that they create disappears out of the top of the frame.

Maybe also see if you can get a little detail in the stones shadows. Well done otherwise.

Vel

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2008
Vel, I'll offer some friendly constructive criticism. The flower is dead center in your shot and not really the center of attention. When I first saw your shot, my eye wondered all over the place. I don't know what type of lens you're using, but try getting much closer and filling the entire frame with just one flower. Also, try using the rule of thirds. Keep shooting, you will get better. I think everyone on Macrumors has done the same thing before.

"The best way to learn is to play" - Bert Monroy

Thanks for the advice, John. If I'm been honest I wanted the background to be a lot more blurred, but wasn't sure how to achieve the effect. Also the reason the the picture doesn't contain just the flower is because the one I wanted was quite far into a group and that was the furthest the kit lens would reach lol. I did take a few other photos that day, please advise if you prefer this one instead and thanks again for your comments.

dsc00842z.jpg

dsc03102j.jpg

The pictures don't seem to be appearing when i click the 'Preview Post' button, so I've included the links as well:

http://img117.imageshack.us/i/dsc00842z.jpg
http://img216.imageshack.us/i/dsc03102j.jpg

Vel

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
'sunset' in Over Anarjohka park. ( actually the sun won't set since it's several hundred kilometres north of the arctic circle )
lapland0263.jpg

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
I don't wish to be rude but what do you want me to do about it?

I think sonor was just asking you if your camera is working properly, no need to get bent out of shape. Your camera isn't accidentally set to macro mode is it?

On a separate note, Acsom, that photo is awesome. The lighting, colors, exposure, it just all comes together. Plus I love the woods, so anything that implies spending time there is cool.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't wish to be rude but what do you want me to do about it?

Dude really? He was saying your photo is out of focus. What should you do about it? Well I'd hope that was obvious. sonor was really quite considerate about it.
Can you tell it is soft? Some people can't really tell.

WOW. This is real nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.