Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
You wanted to capture what you were seeing?? Well, I'm damned sure the scenes looked nothing like that. Beautiful? If you insist...

A busy afternoon in the gardens of Holker Hall

garden.jpg

The composition doesn't work for me on this one, do you have one with the people in the right hand third rather than the left? They feel a bit up against the left edge, the shadows on the right worry my eye a bit too, the bright left side draws my eye, then throws it against the edge of the frame.

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
The D80 does it- pop up the flash in A, P or S mode and make sure you're set for matrix metering (not spot,) figure out how to adjust the power level of the flash and dial in between .3 and .7 stops of negative flash exposure, then shoot away. Nikon's balanced fill options work really well, but I like very subtle flash, so I always dial in some negative compensation when I put my SB800 on camera- sometimes up to a stop and a half, but I'd start at -.7 and see how it looks.

Long-term, I'd highly recommend a flash bracket, cord and SB-600, you wil get good catchlights in the eyes even when side or backlighting someone and the ladies will be much, much happier with the results if they don't have racoon eyes.

The one thing I am wondering about is the fact that when I pop up my flash, the fastest shutter speed it allows is 1/60th, which would require a smaller aperture, which isn't ideal for portraits. Any remedies?

mikeschmeee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Mike: Location of this bee, please? (It might be a rare one ... or not.) :confused:

Location is my fathers garden in the backyard. Surrey, British Columbia Canada :)

The bee's love those flowers in the garden. So many flying around all the time.
Come over and snap some shots! Haha.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The one thing I am wondering about is the fact that when I pop up my flash, the fastest shutter speed it allows is 1/60th, which would require a smaller aperture, which isn't ideal for portraits. Any remedies?

By smaller aperture you're saying you stop down to let less light in correct or are you saying you're using a smaller f/stop # which would mean you're opening wide(r), which is ideal for portraits.

Your camera doesn't have a flash sync speed of both 1/60 and 1/250? I would buy another flash and not "pop up" the on-board flash. It's too hot and uncontrolled anyway.

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
By smaller aperture you're saying you stop down to let less light in correct or are you saying you're using a smaller f/stop # which would mean you're opening wide(r), which is ideal for portraits.

Your camera doesn't have a flash sync speed of both 1/60 and 1/250? I would buy another flash and not "pop up" the on-board flash. It's too hot and uncontrolled anyway.

Correct, I am saying "smaller aperture" meaning a smaller opening. I don't have the money right now to buy a flash gun, so I will continue to do my best with available light. Thanks for the tips!

Here's today's submission:

Clickable!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
f/5.6
S: 207s

Not the best but it was one of two shots that I could grab on the epic trail of the 6-hour drive to the ocean. That came as a surprise to a native Californian. :( Not to mention I was certain something was going to eat me while standing in the dark.
DSC_1277.jpg

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
Bit of a strange one today, this was taken whilst I was doing some science demonstrations to the public. The dark dots are Salmonella typhimurium, it was taken with 50mm f/1.8 standing about 50cm (I think) away from a light microscope. I guess it's kind of a macro photo...

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
Some people the camera loves... and she's a natural. She'd be a terrific model for stock photography...

I would definitely agree with that statement. I think she is definitely more photogenic than the other girl that I've been posting recently. I want to give them fair facetime, so tomorrow's post will probably be of the brunette. I'll try to make it a good one. All of these photos are from a shoot I did about a week ago with them at my favorite local spot. I have another shoot there this Sunday that I hope will go even better!

Still loving it. :) Are you shooting with your nifty fifty? Your photos don't have any EXIF.

Nope, I shoot these with my trusty 55-200VR. It's a decent lens, although I miss the 80-200mm f/2.8 that I borrowed from someone for several months. I really wish I had the money to buy a lens like that. I did use the nifty fifty for one of the poses at this shoot, but I didn't really get the result that I was looking for.

Thanks for the kindness everyone! Critiques are wonderful as I am trying to build up my photographic skills! Look for another entry tomorrow!

AlecG.

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
Was bored this afternoon and decided to go mess with the camera out back. Minor tweaks to the levels, that's it.

tweakhair.jpg

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Founds by the side of my house this morning when I was putting the rubbish out.

20090723__PER0079.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.