Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I still don't have a WP version in my mailbox.

I can count the number of times I've given out high-res digital files of images I have for sale on no hands and no feet ;) I'm still trying to decide if I should set a new precedent, even though I was thinking "Wallpaper!" when I pre-visualized the shot.

I like this a lot! It's good to see a macro shot that is more about composition than just being close to the subject. Nice.

Dale

Thank you very much for your kind words. If I ever join the "I can make this flower part bigger than anyone" club, feel free to beat me over the head with my camera. :D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I can count the number of times I've given out high-res digital files of images I have for sale on no hands and no feet ;) I'm still trying to decide if I should set a new precedent, even though I was thinking "Wallpaper!" when I pre-visualized the shot.

Thank you very much for your kind words. If I ever join the "I can make this flower part bigger than anyone" club, feel free to beat me over the head with my camera. :D
I don't want a hi res one. 72 dpi @ the res I posted.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Spectacular pics by everyone! I'm reluctant to post in this thread already! :p

HDR, three bracketed shots, handheld.

llq3j5d9rbk67.jpg

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
here's just a few a week ago from Merrill Creek Reservoir in NJ. These are all HDR's, 3 shots, on a tripod (for once).

Attachments

• merril_creek_HDR  049_50_51_tonemapped-LQ.jpg
    merril_creek_HDR 049_50_51_tonemapped-LQ.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 79
  • merril_creek_HDR  034_5_6_tonemappedLQ.jpg
    merril_creek_HDR 034_5_6_tonemappedLQ.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 79
  • merril_creek_HDR  016_7_8_tonemappedLQ.jpg
    merril_creek_HDR 016_7_8_tonemappedLQ.jpg
    1,003.1 KB · Views: 78
  • merril_creek_HDR  013_4_5_tonemappedLQ.jpg
    merril_creek_HDR 013_4_5_tonemappedLQ.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
  • merril_creek_HDR  007_8_9_tonemappedLQ.jpg
    merril_creek_HDR 007_8_9_tonemappedLQ.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
In addition to USA winning 16 - 1, the crowd found this funny as well. The third basemen even tried to insinuate that he was out. Here on Team USA we have to tag the runner with a ball in hand. ;)

Definitely Safe.jpg

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
I'd be interested to know why you chose to give these pix the HDR treatment, when the scene is already well lit? What were you trying to achieve? :confused:

well, on a few, the lighting is pretty good, but say, under that bridge thing, its not as well lit, and I kind of wanted to capture what I was seeing, beautiful greens and blues and clouds, as well as the way the light was hitting under that bridge, and hitting the rock.

Here they are non-HDR, idk I prefer the HDR on this adventure.

Attachments

• merrill_creek_nonHDR  001LQ.jpg
    merrill_creek_nonHDR 001LQ.jpg
    947.5 KB · Views: 86
  • merrill_creek_nonHDR  002LQ.jpg
    merrill_creek_nonHDR 002LQ.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 94
  • merrill_creek_nonHDR  003LQ.jpg
    merrill_creek_nonHDR 003LQ.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 84
  • merrill_creek_nonHDR  004LQ.jpg
    merrill_creek_nonHDR 004LQ.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 82
  • merrill_creek_nonHDR  005LQ.jpg
    merrill_creek_nonHDR 005LQ.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 93

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
well, on a few, the lighting is pretty good, but say, under that bridge thing, its not as well lit, and I kind of wanted to capture what I was seeing, beautiful greens and blues and clouds, as well as the way the light was hitting under that bridge, and hitting the rock.

Here they are non-HDR, idk I prefer the HDR on this adventure.

You wanted to capture what you were seeing?? Well, I'm damned sure the scenes looked nothing like that. Beautiful? If you insist...

A busy afternoon in the gardens of Holker Hall

garden.jpg

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
You wanted to capture what you were seeing?? Well, I'm damned sure the scenes looked nothing like that. Beautiful? If you insist...

A busy afternoon in the gardens of Holker Hall

To me, thats how I remember seeing those scenes. More so the HDR's then the ones that aren't.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I like them. You don't have to.

anyhow, here is one from NYC from sunday, some random church, forget where exactly.

Attachments

• nyc_church  001LQ.jpg
    nyc_church 001LQ.jpg
    1,000.3 KB · Views: 87

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
If you're still shooting them, please try a little fill-flash to bring the eyes out of the deep shadow. Great poses, great subjects, and with a bit of fill they'd zing even more...

Thank you for the advice! I have a shoot coming up, so I will do my best. I must admit, I try to avoid using my on-camera flash as much as possible, so how would I go about doing this? I don't have an external flash, just the standard D80 pop-up. Thanks!

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Thank you for the advice! I have a shoot coming up, so I will do my best. I must admit, I try to avoid using my on-camera flash as much as possible, so how would I go about doing this? I don't have an external flash, just the standard D80 pop-up. Thanks!

The D80 does it- pop up the flash in A, P or S mode and make sure you're set for matrix metering (not spot,) figure out how to adjust the power level of the flash and dial in between .3 and .7 stops of negative flash exposure, then shoot away. Nikon's balanced fill options work really well, but I like very subtle flash, so I always dial in some negative compensation when I put my SB800 on camera- sometimes up to a stop and a half, but I'd start at -.7 and see how it looks.

Long-term, I'd highly recommend a flash bracket, cord and SB-600, you wil get good catchlights in the eyes even when side or backlighting someone and the ladies will be much, much happier with the results if they don't have racoon eyes.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Shiny New

Shot this today with my shiny new (as of yesterday) Nikon camera. It was raining, so I couldn't bring out my ND filters to get a longer exposure. This should be diffraction limited at 2s at f/22 and ISO 100. It looks pretty good to me though- I can't wait to get back to this series of falls when it's not raining and get some shots.

Ricketts Glenn, PA

Attachments

• DSC_0013_s.jpg
    DSC_0013_s.jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 86
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.