Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
^^^

Nice, natural portrait...

Field barn in the Yorkshire Dales...

barnmalham.jpg

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
^^^

Nice, natural portrait...

Field barn in the Yorkshire Dales...

barnmalham.jpg

Doylem, all of your work has such excellent lighting. Do you scout locations, either in person or by map, and determine the best time for light to hit the subject just right? Your shoots just don't feel like "It's a nice day, I'm going to drive around and take photographs. You take photographs, sir, not pictures.

Dale

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Doylem, all of your work has such excellent lighting. Do you scout locations, either in person or by map, and determine the best time for light to hit the subject just right? Your shoots just don't feel like "It's a nice day, I'm going to drive around and take photographs. You take photographs, sir, not pictures.

Thanks, Dale. Well, I wish I could say I did extensive research, but I don’t. I keep a lot of Ordnance Survey maps in the car, covering the north of England. I look at these before travelling (and take the appropriate map with me when I’m out in the landscape).

I’m very sensitive to light - the way it changes, how it affects buildings, landscape, etc - but this is no great skill. It comes from looking at the light all the time. It’s just practise (like a friend of mine who can hear a song once and then pick out the chords on a guitar). Some might call this an obsession; to me it’s just being observant. I honestly never get bored watching light chasing shadow across a lakeland fell.

I try to work out the best time to visit places. If I’m out for a day’s photography, I might pinpoint some locations for the morning, and some for the afternoon (with an hour off for lunch in some congenial pub). I’m also happy to stay at one location for, say, a couple of hours, if the light looks like it may improve. This cuts down on the number of places I’ll have time to visit, but I’d rather come home with a few pictues that work than a load of pix that don’t.

I generally find a location, set the camera on a tripod and just wait to see what happens next. If there’s a crack in the sky and a ray of sunlight streams down for ten seconds, I’ll be ready. If it doesn’t… well, I’ll probably get very wet and have no pictures.

I also shoot a few pictures at random, when the opportunity presents itself, because I'm never without a camera and lightweight tripod. I made a promise to myself a few years ago, that if I saw something I might want to photograph, and the light was right, I'd do it there and then... rather than come back another time.

Talking of light, I love the subtleties in this shot: the many 'shades' of white, the flare and the highlighting around the face and shoulder... and the detail in the face which stops it from becoming a backlit silhouette...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.