Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
Nice shot. I like it. How is it that you post processed this image and the previous one to get that 'look' to them? I'd love to know.

Thanks. It's fairly simple. I do it all in Adobe Camera Raw (part of Photoshop CS3), all global adjustments without any need to open Photoshop itself, other than for resizing and sharpening (although if you're so inclined the look could certainly be refined in Photoshop). It would be very similar in Lightroom and I imagine you can do the same kind of adjustments in most raw processors.

The light has to be right in the first place - whether natural or not. For these biker shots it was bright, directional, late afternoon sunlight.

In ACR...

Adopt attitude of reckless abandon

Rein in highlights with recovery

Lift shadows (quite a lot) with fill light

Push black point until it feels right

Boost contrast & clarity...tweak tone curve...adjust exposure & brightness if necessary

Boost vibrance, while cutting saturation

...carry on tweaking until desired look is achieved

You need to get a feel for how adjusting one setting affects other things - eg. if you use much fill light, you will almost certainly need to boost the contrast...the more you push the black point, the less vibrance/saturation you need.

Actual settings will vary considerably from image to image.

Hope that helps.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Steel Rigg, on Hadrian's Wall...

steelriggguys.jpg

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
This was the sunset last night shot from the front of my house. Really awesome colors....

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 108

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
Thanks. It's fairly simple. I do it all in Adobe Camera Raw (part of Photoshop CS3), all global adjustments without any need to open Photoshop itself, other than for resizing and sharpening (although if you're so inclined the look could certainly be refined in Photoshop). It would be very similar in Lightroom and I imagine you can do the same kind of adjustments in most raw processors.

The light has to be right in the first place - whether natural or not. For these biker shots it was bright, directional, late afternoon sunlight.

In ACR...

Adopt attitude of reckless abandon

Rein in highlights with recovery

Lift shadows (quite a lot) with fill light

Push black point until it feels right

Boost contrast & clarity...tweak tone curve...adjust exposure & brightness if necessary

Boost vibrance, while cutting saturation

...carry on tweaking until desired look is achieved

You need to get a feel for how adjusting one setting affects other things - eg. if you use much fill light, you will almost certainly need to boost the contrast...the more you push the black point, the less vibrance/saturation you need.

Actual settings will vary considerably from image to image.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that. I will have a play about soon. I use Aperture as my RAW editor so I will have to use that. Hopefully it'll work.

aahhhh!
cousinbronicawlvlvf.jpg

Nikon D40, 30mm

Nice shot, I like the way the idea has worked.

Nuttydev

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Bristol, England.
I've only just started out Photography recently as I'm quite young, but I really enjoy doing it and hope to get better throughout the years :) Here's one I took today, although I know nearly nothing about how to take pictures I just basically point and shoot :eek: Think I over did it in photoshop as well.

3694277129_be4f351dcc_b.jpg

mac-a-doodle

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Michigan
Erie Sunset

Taken July 4th. Not an ideal sky, but the new 10-20 Sigma did its job! No pp. C/C welcome!

Attachments

• 3696306068_e216cd622a_b.jpg
    3696306068_e216cd622a_b.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 80

psychotropic

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
Florida
I posted this in the HDR thread but since I took the picture tonight I thought I would put it in here as well...sorry if that is discouraged in the forum. Please comment and critique.

Attachments

• IMG_0696_697_698_699_700_tonemapped.jpg
    IMG_0696_697_698_699_700_tonemapped.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 104

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
583153045_F9www-XL.jpg

This is so beautiful. I cannot put my finger on exactly what makes this so great: the beautiful glow of her skin, the fact she is kind of bored but still watching the festivities or the setting steeped in patriotism. I cannot express how awesome this photo is.

Man, that is such a beautiful shot. Really like it.

Definitely beautiful shot...nice softness, yet gorgeous detail in the eyes, hair...Do you mind sharing the exif info on this one, including lens?

Thanks for the kind comments. This is from the Fourth of July celebrations held at the "Stadium of Fire" event in Provo, Utah. NOTHING, and I mean nothing that happened that night came close to the experience I had walking the field taking photos of the soldiers and their families.

Exif:

D3
Nikkor 70 - 200 / 2.8
Nikkor 1.7 teleconverter
320mm
ISO 200
f/10
1/100

Sir SpemzR

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
Inland Empire
America's Favorite!
bigboyi.jpg

i tried to add a vintage look to it by messing with the RED,GREEN,BLUE curves but i kind of failed and image shack made it worse :eek:

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Shot this morning

2 stop ND stacked on 3 stop GND used as ND on top of CPL.

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 105
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.