Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appie57

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
Netherlands
Arrival in Slovenia was accompanied with thunder...

Maribor.jpg

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Layers of Light

At a class taught by a Master Photographer, learned about Layers of Light. Sometimes you find them.

IMG_0805.jpg

Canon EOS 20D :: 17 mm :: f 5.6 :: 1/400 sec :: iso 100 :: California Sunbounce - No PP

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
I love the use of space dominating the object in this image especially when the sheep echo the shapes of the clouds.

What a fantastic photo and well exposed. Excellent use of the flare from the sun. I enjoy your photos!

Thank you for your kind words. I didn't initially like this shot because it didn't have the saturation in the sky of an earlier post, but it grew on me as I looked back through the series. It's a compromise shot: I lost a little of the color in the sky, but gained all the detail in the light playing off the trees.

Here's my submission for today:
0cwaa8

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Still working on the Orchid Shots :
Why only solid backgrounds?? Perhaps throw the real, existing background out of focus, or use a really open aperture so it appears as large fields of blurry colour.

The solid backgrounds are flat, and easily lend itself to being marked as a PS job.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
Why only solid backgrounds?? Perhaps throw the real, existing background out of focus, or use a really open aperture so it appears as large fields of blurry colour.

The solid backgrounds are flat, and easily lend itself to being marked as a PS job.

Because it adds impact to the depth of colors.

I posted one earlier with a white background and a few leaves... that got a ' bad ' response.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Because it adds impact to the depth of colors.

I posted one earlier with a white background and a few leaves... that got a ' bad ' response.
What do you mean by this? Are you shooting to "pop" the colors of the flowers? Are you aiming to tone them down? There are a number of options, and currently, the execution is not at a successful level in my opinion, partly because it still looks like the flower is a cutout on a black background.

Addendum: After seeing the initial image, I'd suggest a re-shoot with sufficient lighting, staged background, and more appropriate in-camera settings to nail the correct exposure. In finding the best (or at least what you'd like) exposure, the colors will be more vivid to begin with. Try not to rely on Photoshop / post processing to fix a bad photo.

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
Waiting for the fireworks...

6.sec f4.2 ISO 160, Tripod Mounted

3 shots make up this panoramic shot of the Tongass Narrows, July 4, 2009:)

Attachments

• 20090704 Panorama2.jpg
    20090704 Panorama2.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 88

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
What do you mean by this? Are you shooting to "pop" the colors of the flowers? Are you aiming to tone them down? There are a number of options, and currently, the execution is not at a successful level in my opinion, partly because it still looks like the flower is a cutout on a black background.

Addendum: After seeing the initial image, I'd suggest a re-shoot with sufficient lighting, staged background, and more appropriate in-camera settings to nail the correct exposure. In finding the best (or at least what you'd like) exposure, the colors will be more vivid to begin with. Try not to rely on Photoshop / post processing to fix a bad photo.

It is to make the colors stand out : If you had a cluttered multi-colored background the focus may not be to where I intended i.e the water drop.

I understand what you mean, that it looks like it has been cut into a black background, but the original background only had a twig in it ( Orchids only have a few leaves right down at the roots, the rest is flower heads and branches )

appie57

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
Netherlands
Boring and a cliché but I just had to do it.. the "mother of all postcard pictures" , Lake Bled, Slovenia. Some romantic young readers may want to get married in the church on the small island left in the image.

Bled.jpg

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Well... they're both white and fluffy. Maybe clouds just win out on intelligence...

Ten minutes ago...

saildusk.jpg

Doylem wins bonus points for making my eyes smile with the picture and my mouth smile with his "intelligence" comment.

Thanks for both sir. :)

JakeN488

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2006
I call this "Dog in the Yard"

3706101814_7f17591e38_b.jpg

I didn't even notice he snuck over there until well after the fact. :p

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
While taking a break from work in the early morning hours, I saw this little fella on top of a branch of a bush and was astounded of her/his adventurous capability.

3705350531_a32eeb3e36_o.jpg

Canon EOS 450D
Sigma 17-70mm
ISO 200
f / 4.5
1/160 sec

It could have more depth in retrospect.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Mega Burger

3705356117_25f86ee773.jpg

This is my friend John eating a burger the other day. Totally candid, and I was not even planning on taking a photo until I saw the amazing burger he had made. Then he made/ate two more, and we went swimming, and he puked :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.