Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
So there is this european football championship going on and the people are sticking small flags on their cars.

Nikon D40, 50mm

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
Steve Jobs

20080609_5325.jpg

Olympus E-510 with Zuiko 50-200
Monday June 9, 2008 at Moscone West during the WWDC 2008

Jan 30, 2006
Mr. G4, you have no idea how much I would give for being were you are.:) Nice shot BTW, the eye contact is great. Tho his eyes are so narrow you really can't tell.:p

My Turtle:)

Nikon D40x
105mm Nikkor

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Yeah, Kayes' shot has amazing Bokeh... Out of interest, did you use selective noise reduction? I'm wondering because you have so much detail on the plant. Awesome shot..

I've been trying some documentary-style shooting..
20080611-bbytrnrse56bj1sj314jpkgw5n.jpg

kayes

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
I can't believe nobody has commented on this. This is about as close to perfect, IMHO, as you can get. The tops of the leaf may be a bit blown out, but it doesn't bother me. What lens did you use to get such a smooth background? I like how the top butterfly looks like he could just glide away.

Kudos!

Hi and thanks for your comments:D. I used a Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm 4.5-5.6G coupled to a D80. Hand held shot.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Taken 6/9/08 in my back yard.

Still have not taken my lesson with my d40x, but I am having fun learning on my own.

Attachments

• DSC_0084.jpg
    DSC_0084.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 93

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Camera: Canon EOS 5D
Exposure: 1/80)
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 100

interning in the photography department at Aflac's world headquarters this summer. (although I only used my gear on this shoot; 5D + 580EXII through white umbrella, bounced with silver umbrella)

I'm pretty proud of this. Nothing special, but I think it looks pretty professional. :)

callCenter.jpg

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Taken 6/9/08 in my back yard.

Still have not taken my lesson with my d40x, but I am having fun learning on my own.

Very neat image, but if you have photoshop cs3, i would suggest using layers, and exposing the bottem a little more, because its under exposed

Yeah, Kayes' shot has amazing Bokeh... Out of interest, did you use selective noise reduction? I'm wondering because you have so much detail on the plant. Awesome shot..

I've been trying some documentary-style shooting..
i really like it, great photo. Its a little dark, but i know thats what you were shooting for for the old-fashioned type image, but imo a little over done, needs to be exposed/brightened a little.
also, that green spot can be edited out pretty easy. if you want me to do it, pm me if you need help :)
I can't believe nobody has commented on this. This is about as close to perfect, IMHO, as you can get. The tops of the leaf may be a bit blown out, but it doesn't bother me. What lens did you use to get such a smooth background? I like how the top butterfly looks like he could just glide away.

Kudos!

i agree, i really like the shot, it looks like something apple would use for their nature backgrounds.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Very well done, nice exposure.

Congrats on the Aflac internship, be sure to tell us about it when you're done.

Thank you. :)
I'm sure I'll be posting more. I just have to be careful, they have all kinds of rules about distribution of ANYTHING created with company equipment or time.

kayes

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008

Hi Everythingisnt, thank you for commenting :D. No noise reduction. Details of the plant were mainly brought out by the lighting conditions.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Very neat image, but if you have photoshop cs3, i would suggest using layers, and exposing the bottem a little more, because its under exposed

i really like it, great photo. Its a little dark, but i know thats what you were shooting for for the old-fashioned type image, but imo a little over done, needs to be exposed/brightened a little.
also, that green spot can be edited out pretty easy. if you want me to do it, pm me if you need help :)

Go for it. I'd love to see what you think could help improve it :). (I'm very unskilled at photo editing/touching up in general :eek:)

Also I love the photo, Grizzlybrice!... Although my eyes were drawn to the yellow Nikon strap and I ended up trying to guess what kind of lens that guy was using instead of looking for Vaughn.. :p

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Go for it. I'd love to see what you think could help improve it :). (I'm very unskilled at photo editing/touching up in general :eek:)

Also I love the photo, Grizzlybrice!... Although my eyes were drawn to the yellow Nikon strap and I ended up trying to guess what kind of lens that guy was using instead of looking for Vaughn.. :p

Here ya go, a quick job. It is hard to brighten it up, because of the lack of light in some of the cracks and crevasis lol, so there is not much you can do ( again, i think you did this intentionally though for the type of photo). Great photo I really like the old fashioned feel of it and composition, like an old farm!
Hope I helped, if you need anything else let me know, id be happy to.

Attachments

• 20080611-bbytrnrse56bj1sj314jpkgw5n-1.jpg
    20080611-bbytrnrse56bj1sj314jpkgw5n-1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 20080611-bbytrnrse56bj1sj314jpkgw5n.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 86

hans3185

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2008
Here ya go, a quick job. It is hard to brighten it up, because of the lack of light in some of the cracks and crevasis lol, so there is not much you can do ( again, i think you did this intentionally though for the type of photo). Great photo I really like the old fashioned feel of it and composition, like an old farm!
Hope I helped, if you need anything else let me know, id be happy to.

Do you have any techniques for photoshop on how to brighten up the photo? I took a whole lot of shots (in RAW) last night while seeing a band, but even when I crank up the exposure its still a tad dark.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
This is fun!

This is fun!
Nikon D80 + 50mm f/1.8
Exposure: Aperture Priority (Auto ISO)
Shutter Speed: 1/750
Aperture: f/4
Focal Length: 50mm
Flash: Off
ISO: 100

Trying to take pictures of a jet black dog is always fun! I'm sure getting to know the dynamic range of my camera (and really appreciate the extra headroom raw gives me...)

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Do you have any techniques for photoshop on how to brighten up the photo? I took a whole lot of shots (in RAW) last night while seeing a band, but even when I crank up the exposure its still a tad dark.

I have a few different methods. You can try to just use the expose/contrast sliders, or use auto levels/auto contrast etc, or use curves. Basically your best bet is to fiddle around with anything in the adjustments tab at the top of Photoshop, and get the feel for what each does. If you have any specific photo you want help with, either post it up or pm me, i might be able to help a bit, although I am no guru by any means, photo shop is an intensive program and takes a lot to learn from.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I have a few different methods. You can try to just use the expose/contrast sliders, or use auto levels/auto contrast etc, or use curves. Basically your best bet is to fiddle around with anything in the adjustments tab at the top of Photoshop, and get the feel for what each does. If you have any specific photo you want help with, either post it up or pm me, i might be able to help a bit, although I am no guru by any means, photo shop is an intensive program and takes a lot to learn from.

Curves is the best way to lighten a photograph without damaging things, in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.