Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ertemplin

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
ertemplin, that photo is nice. I think in B&W it could be even better, it would completely change the mood of the photo, it would be more like the lonely teddy bear who hasn't been used because its owner grew up.:p

I thought I agreed Roco, but it's just not giving off the same effect. I really like how the shadows look kinda HDR-ish, even though this is an unedited image.

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
2542596489_ae956e5e6d.jpg

Red Bull air race, June 1

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

I really like the way you've organised the elements in this picture: the warm light on the guy, the cold light on the figure in the background. It makes a satisfying whole (though, on second thoughts, I wonder if a bit of the dark area on the left might be cropped)...

Busy scanning some old transparencies... Here are the bridestones...

bridestonesoq2.jpg

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I really like the way you've organised the elements in this picture: the warm light on the guy, the cold light on the figure in the background. It makes a satisfying whole (though, on second thoughts, I wonder if a bit of the dark area on the left might be cropped)...
Thanks, Doylem! I had cropped it (a bit off the left, and a smidgen off the top), but it started to feel claustrophobic.. And since the building is largely empty right now (just metal framing and supports on the inside) I thought the open feel looked better.
Busy scanning some old transparencies... Here are the bridestones...

bridestonesoq2.jpg

This is beautiful!

When photographing moving subjects, they usually look best moving from left to right.

I think that's probably a cultural preference (reading left to right, etc) and not really anything technical.. Besides, you can't control where you subject (like this shot) is moving most of the time..

jayfire124

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
After Sunset

Shot taken of St. Ouens bay in Jersey, Channel Islands last night.

Hope you like. All comments greatly accepted.

Canon 400D
Sigma 10-20mm
ND Grad
6 seconds @ f10

Attachments

• IMG_7524X.jpg
    IMG_7524X.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 111

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
2573754750_48acaa63c6_b.jpg

Theres been loads of great images posted again this month, too many too mention. Here's mine for today, Paisley abbey taken 12/06/08 ( or 06/12/08 for the non brits)

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Some nice photos, I especially like the patterns in yours, Valdore.. :)

Anyways I am not exaggerating in any way when I say that today I almost got beaten up and had my camera stolen. Here's a little advice to anyone as stupid as me: when you're going to photograph the 'worst' neighborhood in town, don't take your best equipment...

If you aren't familiar with Vancouver then you probably won't know about East Hastings.. It's a district completely full of the homeless, sick, and desperate who have no-where else to go. People line the streets, slumping in doorways and pushing needles into their skin. I don't normally venture close at all to the district, but today I wanted to capture some of the derelict atmosphere on camera.

I started out walking down a back alley (bad idea number 1) and 'sneakily' snapping some photos of all the people huddled in groups busy doing drugs. Bad idea number 2: I chose the worst subjects imaginable.

Never take photos of people currently using drugs, or who are in large groups, or who are in a back alley. It usually leads to confrontation or worse.

Anyway, a couple seconds after I snapped this pic:
20080613-1b2bar2snehhdy7prd52jkmpk6.jpg

someone yelled "He's taking our pictures!"

-uh oh- I immediately thought.
The guy with the red hair turned and stared towards me. "If you F**CKING take my picture i'll come over there and take your F***king camera away!" He yelled.

I replied "I didn't take your picture!!" and started to back away.
In return he literally screamed "F**** OFF!!!" and began walking towards me.

At that moment I turned around to start walking away, and things began to seem like a bad, bad movie. Someone slouching against a wall snickered and said "Nice camera, buddy", and a few more curious people began walking towards me. The guy with the red hair then picked up his pace to a run and that's when I ran away as fast as I could.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I don't think I'm going to go back there anytime soon.. I need a different strategy.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Some nice photos, I especially like the patterns in yours, Valdore.. :)

Anyways I am not exaggerating in any way when I say that today I almost got beaten up and had my camera stolen. Here's a little advice to anyone as stupid as me: when you're going to photograph the 'worst' neighborhood in town, don't take your best equipment...

If you aren't familiar with Vancouver then you probably won't know about East Hastings.. It's a district completely full of the homeless, sick, and desperate who have no-where else to go. People line the streets, slumping in doorways and pushing needles into their skin. I don't normally venture close at all to the district, but today I wanted to capture some of the derelict atmosphere on camera.

I started out walking down a back alley (bad idea number 1) and 'sneakily' snapping some photos of all the people huddled in groups busy doing drugs. Bad idea number 2: I chose the worst subjects imaginable.

Never take photos of people currently using drugs, or who are in large groups, or who are in a back alley. It usually leads to confrontation or worse.

Anyway, a couple seconds after I snapped this pic:

someone yelled "He's taking our pictures!"

-uh oh- I immediately thought.
The guy with the red hair turned and stared towards me. "If you F**CKING take my picture i'll come over there and take your F***king camera away!" He yelled.

I replied "I didn't take your picture!!" and started to back away.
In return he literally screamed "F**** OFF!!!" and began walking towards me.

At that moment I turned around to start walking away, and things began to seem like a bad, bad movie. Someone slouching against a wall snickered and said "Nice camera, buddy", and a few more curious people began walking towards me. The guy with the red hair then picked up his pace to a run and that's when I ran away as fast as I could.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I don't think I'm going to go back there anytime soon.. I need a different strategy.

Being from BC, i know east hastings. I have to say you are one brave sunna b*tch to be out there, especially in a back alley!!! I dread going by there when I go to vancouver, and hate even thinking about it. I hate even looking at the people there (sad, I know, but watching people kill themselves with drugs, or living on the street is disturbing). I wouldnt in a million years venture there voluntarily, especially with my camera out :eek:, in a back alley lol

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
<snip snip snip>

It's good to see you make it back to post your adventures. Is Reality TV the next thing on your list? Or wildlife in it's natural habitat, like grizzly bears or something?

You gotta be more careful - I like looking at your shots and I'm learning something from them. But I will stick to scenery and landscape, and maybe around the neighborhood. We have some pretty bad areas here also that I wouldn't want to be caught in, and could yield some "adventurous" sessions, but I'll leave those for the others.

In any case - nice shot!

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.