Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kayes

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Some nice photos, I especially like the patterns in yours, Valdore.. :)

Anyways I am not exaggerating in any way when I say that today I almost got beaten up and had my camera stolen. Here's a little advice to anyone as stupid as me: when you're going to photograph the 'worst' neighborhood in town, don't take your best equipment...

If you aren't familiar with Vancouver then you probably won't know about East Hastings.. It's a district completely full of the homeless, sick, and desperate who have no-where else to go. People line the streets, slumping in doorways and pushing needles into their skin. I don't normally venture close at all to the district, but today I wanted to capture some of the derelict atmosphere on camera.

I started out walking down a back alley (bad idea number 1) and 'sneakily' snapping some photos of all the people huddled in groups busy doing drugs. Bad idea number 2: I chose the worst subjects imaginable.

Never take photos of people currently using drugs, or who are in large groups, or who are in a back alley. It usually leads to confrontation or worse.

Anyway, a couple seconds after I snapped this pic:

someone yelled "He's taking our pictures!"

-uh oh- I immediately thought.
The guy with the red hair turned and stared towards me. "If you F**CKING take my picture i'll come over there and take your F***king camera away!" He yelled.

I replied "I didn't take your picture!!" and started to back away.
In return he literally screamed "F**** OFF!!!" and began walking towards me.

At that moment I turned around to start walking away, and things began to seem like a bad, bad movie. Someone slouching against a wall snickered and said "Nice camera, buddy", and a few more curious people began walking towards me. The guy with the red hair then picked up his pace to a run and that's when I ran away as fast as I could.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I don't think I'm going to go back there anytime soon.. I need a different strategy.

Good shot! I enjoyed it!

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
Glad to hear you are safe Everythingisnt!! I couldn't bring myself to go to any sketch neighborhoods, although there aren't any around here hahaha...

Grabbed a few shots of the newly bloomed flowers in the yard!

20080614-mj5ihrtxmk7taabjeji5u1bd18.jpg

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Nice shot iPodtoucher, did you use the in-camera flash?

Anyways here's something a little more tame compared to my last entry.. lol..

An open-air market on Wreck Beach, Vancouver (Yes, I do get around quite a bit :p)

20080614-cbcqttff2pxhyghh6msd43yf3q.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the support, also. I'm still a little shellshocked about the whole incident, and I don't have plans on going back there any time soon..

That being said, I still want to return at some point, but I think that I need to take some time to refine my approach and possibly get a smaller camera.

I don't think I really would have ventured anywhere near hastings had I known truly how isolated and marginalized by society its inhabitants are. It was literally like stepping into another world, where different laws, rules, and a code of ethics seemed to apply. I think I'm really lucky though not to have lost more then my dignity..

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
2568852490_566722d57e.jpg

(Flickr)I did a layer mask and some dodging and burning in photoshop.
Camera: Nikon D40
Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 20 mm
ISO Speed: 200

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
Nice shot iPodtoucher, did you use the in-camera flash?

Nope I bought a Quantaray QDC 900WA. It's no Speedlight, but it gets the job done! And for only $179 i just needed one haha

Here's one i took literally 5 minutes ago haha Had to use the flash on this one too.

20080614-fb2qqfrkb9yty1md59cmcq93c9.jpg

Nikon D50
Shutter: 1/180th
Aperture: f/8.0
Focal Length: 120mm
ISO: 400 ??? (i had it set to 200, need to check why it's different)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Les Harker, bachelor farmer from West Witton, Wensleydale: one of the 'old breed' who farm in a suit. His chat-up line to any young lady in the local pub was "Would you like to come back to my place and do a little light dusting?"...

The yard-brush seems like a character in its own right... like the fourth Marx Brother...

90rr8.jpg

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Les Harker, bachelor farmer from West Witton, Wensleydale: one of the 'old breed' who farm in a suit. His chat-up line to any young lady in the local pub was "Would you like to come back to my place and do a little light dusting?"...

The yard-brush seems like a character in its own right... like the fourth Marx Brother...

90rr8.jpg

This is a really wonderful photograph. It's rare to see so much character packed into one shot.

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
Some nice photos, I especially like the patterns in yours, Valdore.. :)

Anyways I am not exaggerating in any way when I say that today I almost got beaten up and had my camera stolen. Here's a little advice to anyone as stupid as me: when you're going to photograph the 'worst' neighborhood in town, don't take your best equipment...
...If you aren't familiar with Vancouver then you probably won't know about East Hastings..

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I don't think I'm going to go back there anytime soon.. I need a different strategy.

I know about East Hastings; a group of us were warned to avoid the area when we in the Van. Naturally I took a walk through and back.

East Hastings is thriving compared to some areas almost within sight of here though. I'll be posting some on SSP in the near future.

Wish I'd been with you, you wouldn't have had to run. But that was the point another forumer made, that going alone isn't always a good idea.

L

Lau

heavy rain, vienna
Link

I really like this, thr33face. I'm a huge fan of abstract patterns like this in photography and this is a great example.

This was taken today, underneath a nearby railway bridge.

IMG_0550_2.jpg
Click for teh bigness

lukegarnz

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2007
I've been lurking in this forum for a while and thought i finally had something worthy of posting. This was taken today on a fishing trip me and my dad went on to a local lake.

Attachments

• CRW_0008.jpg
    CRW_0008.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 67

bob3

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2006
usa
2578470223_f793e01261.jpg

Camera: Sony DSLR-A100
Exposure: 0.02 sec (1/50)
Aperture: f/9
Focal Length: 70 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.