Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Yet another pond

Taken about five minutes before a torrential downpour...

PinkPondLillies1.jpg

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
A 'garden abstract' taken with my now beloved set of Diopters attached to the end of a 16-85 VR.

20080621-qce23g62is5ph7hnu16hep66x9.jpg

Camera-mounted flash with a homemade reflector bouncing it onto the grass.

NeXTCube

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
Upstate NY
More from the Auto Show...

Another GM product, this time a 1930's era Chevrolet Standard Coupe.

2589420562_dea6c05c83.jpg

Also from the Father's Day auto show in Constableville, NY.
Arista II 100 (a.k.a. Agfa B&W 100)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I love your landscapes Doylem, can't get enough.

And I agree with what you said. And on top of that, the empty blue skies are dull. Clouds also add a sense of motion I think.

Thanks for that...

Blue skies tend to stay the same. That is, the scene will look pretty much the same in an hour's time, except the sun will just be a bit higher (or lower...) in the sky. But a sky full of cumulus clouds will change minute by minute, if there's enough breeze to blow them by. So every pic will be different...

Blue sky in the city...

leedsht8.jpg

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Model: Canon EOS 5D
Shutter Speed: 1/50 second
F Number: F/9.0
Focal Length: 35 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Date Picture Taken: Jun 21, 2008, 7:28:23 PM

dryad.jpg

setup here

appie57

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
Netherlands
Thanks. When I shoot for myself (rather than, say, tourism promotors), I really prefer to shoot with clouds in the sky. 50% cloud, 50% blue sky is fine; 70% and 30% OK too (except the photo opportunities will be fewer). but unclouded blue skies just don't work for me. The light is too blue, too bland and too 'scattered', like a bare bulb lighting up a room.

When the light is coming out of a part-cloudy sky, it seems more directional... giving better contrast, colour saturation... more like a floodlight than a bulb. OK, you can't control the floodlight, but, on a breezy day, you can watch it move across the landscape until it's lighting up what you're interested in.

Plenty of photographers seem to do better than me with those big blue skies. Unless it's near dawn or dusk, I find that landscapes get 'overlit'... which tends to diminish the 3D effect (ie; it's the quality of light that matters more, not the quantity).

Does this make any sense to the other landscape photographers out there? :)

Ever seen a great landscape painting with a big blue sky? (I didn't check)

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
A lot of firsts here for me. This is my first post to the "Photo of he Day" threads, my first attempt 'shrinking' a picture for the web & this forum and my first time shooting pictures at night.

Can anyone tell my how to easily make my photos websized? Thanks in advance!

I hope you like the shot...

Attachments

• Bridge at dusk.JPG
    Bridge at dusk.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 122

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
A lot of firsts here for me. This is my first post to the "Photo of he Day" threads, my first attempt 'shrinking' a picture for the web & this forum and my first time shooting pictures at night.

Can anyone tell my how to easily make my photos websized? Thanks in advance!

I hope you like the shot...

I might have composed this one a bit differently, but the lighting is terrific.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Thank you! Can you give me some ideas or advice. I'm a beginner and to be perfectly honest I'm not even sure what you mean by composing it differently.

I mean the composition of the photograph: how the shot is framed. There's a lot of foreground grass that doesn't add much to the picture. A different viewpoint could have emphasized the bridge to greater effect. You really nailed the lighting, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.