Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soma 115

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2008
the Chi
(Picture of Tree and pond)

I know I could have cropped this one down, but I quite like it this way :eek:[/QUOTE]

I LOVE this photo! the amount of though and emotion it provokes is endless. keep up the good work! :D

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
316385054_HbSEP-L.jpg

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
The neighbour's cat. I caught him trying to stalk the birds in my garden.

20080620_APER6944.jpg

grizzlybrice

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
Playa Del Rey, CA
2592286932_8cf2411f4c.jpg

My dinner from a few nights ago.
Pork Chops, home made waldorf salad (dressing from scratch), and garlic bread. So delicious.

gB

PS: Oh to you PeteB, looks like the kitty caught YOU!

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
I got my new Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D AF and had to take pictures alllll day :D

Here is my dinner, sweet and sour chicken....
20080621-cqg2cknts2cm9dbty25bbgss4d.jpg

Nikon D50
Shutter : 1/2000th
Aperture : f/1.8
Focal Length : 50mm
ISO : 200

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
kansascityskyshow.jpg

Shutter: 6 sec. // Aperture: f/11 // Focal Length: 40 mm (cropped) // ISO 100

...fireworks show Friday night after the baseball game, Royals playing at home, defeated by the San Fran Giants - Kauffman Stadium, Kansas City Missouri.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Doylem that shot is truly excellent.. Although I think it would be a bit nicer with a bright blue sky instead of those heavy clouds..

Anyways here's another leaf photo.

20080621-1tbcwhnxpima5eghurrw1cx9i9.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Doylem that shot is truly excellent.. Although I think it would be a bit nicer with a bright blue sky instead of those heavy clouds.

Thanks. When I shoot for myself (rather than, say, tourism promotors), I really prefer to shoot with clouds in the sky. 50% cloud, 50% blue sky is fine; 70% and 30% OK too (except the photo opportunities will be fewer). but unclouded blue skies just don't work for me. The light is too blue, too bland and too 'scattered', like a bare bulb lighting up a room.

When the light is coming out of a part-cloudy sky, it seems more directional... giving better contrast, colour saturation... more like a floodlight than a bulb. OK, you can't control the floodlight, but, on a breezy day, you can watch it move across the landscape until it's lighting up what you're interested in.

Plenty of photographers seem to do better than me with those big blue skies. Unless it's near dawn or dusk, I find that landscapes get 'overlit'... which tends to diminish the 3D effect (ie; it's the quality of light that matters more, not the quantity).

Does this make any sense to the other landscape photographers out there? :)

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
carlos-rosa-kansas-city-royals.jpg

Shutter: 1/125 // Aperture: f/9.0 // Focal Length: 340 mm (cropped) // ISO 1600

...Carlos Rosa #53 pitching for the Royals.

Thanks. When I shoot for myself (rather than, say, tourism promotors), I really prefer to shoot with clouds in the sky. 50% cloud, 50% blue sky is fine; 70% and 30% OK too (except the photo opportunities will be fewer). but unclouded blue skies just don't work for me. The light is too blue, too bland and too 'scattered', like a bare bulb lighting up a room.

I agree - totally blue skies with no clouds, while great for going swimming, totally suck for daytime photography, in my opinion. If I'm shooting outside in the daytime, give me some puffy clouds. Otherwise I'll shoot at dusk or dawn - as long as we're talking about landscapes at least, be they rural or urban.

Also... no SolracSelbor for the past two weeks for some reason...

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I agree - totally blue skies with no clouds, while great for going swimming, totally suck for daytime photography, in my opinion. If I'm shooting outside in the daytime, give me some puffy clouds. Otherwise I'll shoot at dusk or dawn - as long as we're talking about landscapes at least, be they rural or urban.

Hooray for us... We've found something to agree about... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.