Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hans3185

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2008
I tried adjusting the curves....but it looks like theres a lot of artifacts on the photo now
2608101444_c28bc5f377_b.jpg

Compared:
2606397505_4bc0719550_b.jpg

Heres another one.
2607271563_c76e4d6417_b.jpg

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
Just got a new Nikon 50mm f/1.4. It was by far the best $100 i have ever spent! I have so many pictures...enough to last the rest of this month and then next month hahahahaha.

Coming In For a Landing.
2605791824_588b631c3f_b.jpg

NIkon D50
Shutter : 1/2000
Aperture : f/1.8
Focal Length : 50mm
ISO : 200

C&C is always welcome!

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Vienna: (t)rain station

Nikon D40, 30mm

Incredible! Love it!

Nothing new here, so I guess I'll fall back on some of my "real" work.. (Sorry for the crude watermark but I usually don't upload valuable pics..)

20080625-xew5gwgbgy1j8g1p7uct4wd6sy.jpg

In any case I leave tomorrow for France, so hopefully I'll have alot more to show you all soon. :)

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Taken from the top of Haleakala, Maui.

For anybody planning to see the sunrise there, yes, it is as cold as they say it will be.

It all depends on what you were used to -- that was one thing that drove me crazy in Maui, I spent several days trying to find out an actual temperature number, but all anyone would say was "bitterly cold" and suggest parkas.

Turns out for a Canuck it was cold enough to require a sweater, but that was it.

But is sure is a beautiful sight!

genshi

macrumors 6502a
Sorry, I know this is a "Digital Photography" thread (no?) but, I'm going to bend the rules and post a digital scan of an actual film-based photo; shot with a Holga 120N. No photoshopping involved other than to save the scanned negative as a jpg:

NeXTCube

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
Upstate NY
Sorry, I know this is a "Digital Photography" thread (no?) but, I'm going to bend the rules and post a digital scan of an actual film-based photo; shot with a Holga 120N. No photoshopping involved other than to save the scanned negative as a jpg:

I think the rules for the picture-of-the-day topic allow non-digital work, as long as you don't post the same picture twice!

The Holgas look like a lot of fun but I've not had the chance to try one. Plus I don't have the right lens for 120 film for my enlarger! :)

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Vienna: (t)rain station

Nikon D40, 30mm
Fantastic!
This is really great! Awesome color, especially her eyes.
Try to remember to keep it to one photo per day, at least that way you can get more feedback, even if it's intention is to clean up the thread a bit. :)

Really nice work. I know how hard Holga negatives are to print in the darkroom, it must have been a pain to scan correctly, too.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Topiary anyone?

levenspc2.jpg

Doylem - I enjoy a lot of your images, but have you cranked up your saturation more than usual here? The green is very green and the sky has a similar effect for the blues. If there was one element that seemed too much between the two, I think it's the sky. A bit of a tone down there, a horizon level, and, well my eye would still probably go to the light area of the house - but it's a lovely building.

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
I've been out doing a shoot of a local public golf course. This is a view from the clubhouse deck, with the 1st hole on the left, 9th hole coming back in on the right. C&C welcomed.

IndianCanyons.jpg

Canon Rebel XTi
EF-S 18-55mm Lens
ISO 100
F/8.0
1/160
18mm
Lightroom 1.4.1

fett

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
Sometimes the jokes work...sometimes they don't.

Camera: Nikon D300
Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 44 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Flash: Flash fired

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I've been out doing a shoot of a local public golf course. This is a view from the clubhouse deck, with the 1st hole on the left, 9th hole coming back in on the right. C&C welcomed.

IndianCanyons.jpg

Judging by the shadows of the trees, you've shot this right in the middle of the day, with the sun almost directly overhead... which produces washed-out colours, an overall blue cast and little differentiation between foreground, middleground and background.

You can play around with adjustments in Photoshop... but it still won't look right. If you were to take the same shot early in the morning, or late afternoon/evening, you'd have directional side-lighting, more definition, and the colours would really 'sing'. Maybe a couple of golfers striding down the fairway too... :)

Doylem - I enjoy a lot of your images, but have you cranked up your saturation more than usual here? The green is very green and the sky has a similar effect for the blues. If there was one element that seemed too much between the two, I think it's the sky. A bit of a tone down there, a horizon level, and, well my eye would still probably go to the light area of the house - but it's a lovely building.

Colour saturation is a matter of taste; if you thinks it's too much, fair enough. But how could I level the horizon when it's level already? :confused:

There's no (visible) horizon at all, so I made sure the RH side of the building was vertical, 'cos that's where the eye is directed. If you slide the image over to the side of the screen, you can see it's spot-on. So I'm confused...

We agree... it's a lovely building... and some of the finest formal gardens in UK... :)

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Colour saturation is a matter of taste; if you thinks it's too much, fair enough. But how could I level the horizon when it's level already? :confused:

There's no (visible) horizon at all, so I made sure the RH side of the building was vertical, 'cos that's where the eye is directed. If you slide the image over to the side of the screen, you can see it's spot-on. So I'm confused...

We agree... it's a lovely building... and some of the finest formal gardens in UK... :)
I agree with Doylem, the building is level. It's the fault of the hedge in the right foreground that makes the image look like it's not level. If you cover the hedge up the photo looks level. I hope you don't mind, I have taken the liberty of straightening up the hedge.

Attachments

• levenspc2a.jpg
    levenspc2a.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 104

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I agree with Doylem, the building is level. It's the fault of the hedge in the right foreground that makes the image look like it's not level. If you cover the hedge up the photo looks level. I hope you don't mind, I have taken the liberty of straightening up the hedge.

No, I don't mind, Father Jack, but the charm of these gardens is the combination of natural, organic shapes, and the rather severe pruning they've been getting these past 300 years. It's a job that needs scaffolding!

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
No, I don't mind, Father Jack, but the charm of these gardens is the combination of natural, organic shapes, and the rather severe pruning they've been getting these past 300 years. It's a job that needs scaffolding!
Cheers Doylem. The gardens look beautiful, but definitely wouldn't fancy the job of trimming all those hedges !!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.