Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
reflectionedit2oy5.png

New York City
June 21, 2008
D40 | 1/500 at f/3.5 | 18 mm | ISO 200​

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
My first contribution to this thread! I took this last year while in Montreal. Comments are welcome. :)
DSC_0188.jpg

The sun seems to be almost directly overhead, so the light is blue and 'unrevealing'. Of the stonework you've included in the pic, only about 5% is in direct sunlight; the rest of the facade is in shadow. The result is that a three-dimensional building looks 'flat' and uninteresting.

Check out the Greek building (post 614) to see what happens when you shoot with side-lighting. The light 'models' the fluted columns, and accentuates the contours on the face of the statue. A nice touch is that the shadowed part of the face is positioned against a lit area of column. Accident? Design? I don't know... but it works.

On your pic, the statue almost disappears into the background. But earlier and later in the day, the sun would be lighting up the facade of the building, and throwing the architectural details into relief, offering the contrast of light and shadow that puts the third dimension back into the composition. The light would also be 'warmer', not blue-tinted.

By walking around a building, you can see how the light changes the way the building looks. From certain angles it will smooth the stonework; from another - acute - angle it may pick up the rough surface texture. Of course, this may take a bit of time, or planning, when you actually don't have time to spare. :)

The 'trick' may be to emphasise the creativity of the architect... rather than the creativity of the photographer...

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Holy cow this thread has some talent.

I had a shoot this weekend for some family friends at their residence... went early to scope out the location and find some good back drops for the children's photos. This old tree was not suitable for the children, but a mocking bird provided the opportunity for a quick snapshot!
_1160563.png

LUMIX L1 + EC-14 + ZD 70-300mm
ISO 400 ƒ/8 1/1000" 420mm

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
C&Cs welcome.

Overall, pic has good composition and good balance between line, pattern, etc. However, the area to the bottom right is too underexposed. It's so dim, it's hard to even see that right-most chair. You picked a very difficult composition because you are trying to shoot a composition that includes both extremely bright direct sunlight reflecting off a white wall combined with indirectly lit areas. This composition would make a good candidate for a 1-shot HDR (assuming you still have the RAW) or fill flash bounced off one of the many large white walls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.