Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Agreed. Lesson learned. Cityscape photography would be so much easier if people would just get out of my way.

I have to disagree to some degree.
Cityscape photography with people gives a better sense of scale. It shows how truly epic the structures are.
I have a photo (would need to find it) that actually won me a small award. It was a frontal shot of the SF City Hall, I stood way back on the center of the lawn, nearly on the sidewalk just to get the shot with an old minolta. I had something like a 50mm lens on it IIRC. However, as I took my shot I started to really look and saw a homeless man sleeping on the lawn. I just barely caught him in the frame and submitted it to a competition with an essay about the decline of America. I'm not trying to say people in cityscapes will will you awards, only that the homeless man on the lawn showed a true sense of how large City Hall truly is up there.

There are times when the people can be a distraction, but every so often they really add to the overall photo.

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
scotland%20%20233.jpg

Ahhhh, its only a bunny!
Aye, but a fierce, foul tempered beasty it is!

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I have to disagree to some degree.
Cityscape photography with people gives a better sense of scale. It shows how truly epic the structures are.
I have a photo (would need to find it) that actually won me a small award. It was a frontal shot of the SF City Hall, I stood way back on the center of the lawn, nearly on the sidewalk just to get the shot with an old minolta. I had something like a 50mm lens on it IIRC. However, as I took my shot I started to really look and saw a homeless man sleeping on the lawn. I just barely caught him in the frame and submitted it to a competition with an essay about the decline of America. I'm not trying to say people in cityscapes will will you awards, only that the homeless man on the lawn showed a true sense of how large City Hall truly is up there.

There are times when the people can be a distraction, but every so often they really add to the overall photo.

I agree.

I was speaking more in terms of the specific shot I was going for: a wide, uninterupted shot of the tower and Champs de Mars. If I'm looking to shoot a buiilding, or interesting architecture, then I'd prefer no people.

But of course, people are an integral component of a city, so if I'm going for a "city life" type of shot, then people are welcome.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I agree.

I was speaking more in terms of the specific shot I was going for: a wide, uninterupted shot of the tower and Champs de Mars. If I'm looking to shoot a buiilding, or interesting architecture, then I'd prefer no people.

But of course, people are an integral component of a city, so if I'm going for a "city life" type of shot, then people are welcome.

Yeah I can completely see your point. But the photo is still quite strong imho.

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC

Ghostguts. That was a cute pic. it made me chuckle. I just was scrolling down and then got to the giraffe rubber boots and i just couldn't help myself. Again that was so cute. :D

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
My Kitty :)

Today I just spent $80 on a set of Marum Diopters... They said that they were made in Japan, so how could I resist?

This is straight out of the camera (just with a bit of cropping) on a D300 with the 16-85mm VR. +4 and +2 diopters were stacked on the end of the lens.

The only thing that bugs me about these is the amount of CHROMATIC ABBERATION. AAARGGH. (See the macro thread post to see what I mean)

20080606-ny9h4epmtmenk55tf5grn2cm76.jpg

thejedipunk

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2005
California
farmflower.jpg

Canon PowerShot SD450
1/250
f 5.6
5.8mm

Again, on the same farm.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm saving up for a DSLR. I have $400 saved up now and I am getting impatient about getting one (Canon 350D). I want to get it with the same kit lens that comes with the 450D because it's relatively cheap and it has IS, which I really need since my hands shake. However, would it be better to forego that lens and get the f 1.8 50mm lens instead?

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Great pic. Fett!

Did you use a fill flash of some kind?

Also how did you blur out the horizon? Tilt-shift lens, photoshop effect, or do you just have a lens with a .94 aperture??

fett

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
Great pic. Fett!

Did you use a fill flash of some kind?

Also how did you blur out the horizon? Tilt-shift lens, photoshop effect, or do you just have a lens with a .94 aperture??

Thanks

No flash...just the setting sun. I used photoshop to give a fake tilt-shift effect. I was bored at work tonight and experimenting with some different retouching tricks.

EDIT: I added the EXIF info below the photo.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Played hide and seek behind the palm fronds with this red shouldered hawk for quite some time...

_11505101.png

LUMIX L1 / ZD70-300mm @ 300mm
ISO 200
1/250
F/6.3
0ev

Rotary8

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2006
3 month old daughter taken with the d80 (sold now d300 owner =D) 1600 iso, 2.8f, 1/100 sec.

Attachments

• DSC_6500.jpg
    DSC_6500.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 102
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.