Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016
And I decided to go with another Musk Ox today. I'm debating if I should have cropped it closer and gotten rid of the little stretch of ocean that you can see at the top. Comments and constructive criticism are always welcome.
Musk Oxen-2.jpg by mrkramer, on Flickr

Yes I would crop the blue out or content aware it away. It doesn’t look like ocean and it’s slightly crooked. I love the landscape though.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
And I decided to go with another Musk Ox today. I'm debating if I should have cropped it closer and gotten rid of the little stretch of ocean that you can see at the top. Comments and constructive criticism are always welcome.
Yes lose the sky. I'd also put him somewhere else in the frame. Just slightly off centre looks a bit weird. But he does make a nice focal point for a beautiful landscape.
It's rare to be able to combine wildlife and landscape in one image!

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'd been wanting to get some good pictures of musk ox for a while, but they don't tend to like to pose for me in the best spots. Thankfully this guy had a nice landscape for the background. Although just up the hill to the left was the dump so I had to be somewhat careful to avoid getting trash in the frame that had blown out of the dump...

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'd been wanting to get some good pictures of musk ox for a while, but they don't tend to like to pose for me in the best spots. Thankfully this guy had a nice landscape for the background. Although just up the hill to the left was the dump so I had to be somewhat careful to avoid getting trash in the frame that had blown out of the dump...
Who'd put a dump in such a beautiful location? Some people!

Often when we are trying to interpret why a photographer took a picture in a certain spot, we are unaware of what's just outside of the frame.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Who'd put a dump in such a beautiful location? Some people!
Well in their defense you can get views like that all over the place there and the road leading to the dump is what gives access to the spot where the picture was taken (there aren't many roads here in general).

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge

D85_7116-Edit-XL.jpg

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Yes I would crop the blue out or content aware it away. It doesn’t look like ocean and it’s slightly crooked. I love the landscape though.

Yes lose the sky. I'd also put him somewhere else in the frame. Just slightly off centre looks a bit weird. But he does make a nice focal point for a beautiful landscape.

I decided to have another go at the cropping on this one (I know it's two pictures in a day, but they are really the same one.) I would love a bit of feedback on if you think this version works better. I tried it totally cropping out the blue at the top, but it didn't work for me so I made the crop a bit wider so you can actually see what it is.
Musk Oxen edit by mrkramer, on Flickr

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016
I decided to have another go at the cropping on this one (I know it's two pictures in a day, but they are really the same one.) I would love a bit of feedback on if you think this version works better. I tried it totally cropping out the blue at the top, but it didn't work for me so I made the crop a bit wider so you can actually see what it is.
Musk Oxen edit by mrkramer, on Flickr

I like it better like this.

Reactions: 0007776 and Hughmac

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently

even though this is a critic's corner post, I think your photo pops out with this sort of editing

42782161241_e456a61570_o.jpg

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016
You haven't got time to be taking photos. You should be preparing chicken noodle soup for your husband!
I took this in the morning when he was at work (he later came home early). And I offered to make him chicken soup but he declined. That’s when I knew he was really sick!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.