Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Onion flower, just starting to open.

Canon 600D, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Multi-segment Metering, Aperture Priority
ISO 100, 55mm, f/5.6, 1/160

_MG_1685-X3.jpg

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
One of the choo choo at Glenfinnan viaduct on Sunday. Lovely weather this time - unlike September!

DSCF0553.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

I know, 2 in a day criminal but for contrast. Here is one of my rotten September shots showing the difference the light makes. Obviously taken from a different location too. o_O
DSCF2468-Edit.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

The light definitely makes a difference but the top image needs steam from the engine to complete the look - not much you can do about that right enough unless you bribe the driver! :)

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
The light definitely makes a difference but the top image needs steam from the engine to complete the look - not much you can do about that right enough unless you bribe the driver! :)
lol.
Yeah I was disappointed but I just think it was too warm on Sunday for the steam to form.

Reactions: akash.nu

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
lol.
Yeah I was disappointed but I just think it was too warm on Sunday for the steam to form.

Yup, get a winter shot from the same angle then use the steam from that to compete the look. This is now on my to do list when I get around to touring the highlands with a camera.

Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Yup, get a winter shot from the same angle then use the steam from that to compete the look. This is now on my to do list when I get around to touring the highlands with a camera.

So you need to factor in 10:45 and 15:15 to your planning.

10:45 is when it goes through to Mallaig forwards. 15:15 is on the way back to Fort William.

Reactions: Donka

Suspended
May 28, 2017
Crab legs scattered among the shells on the riverbank. Large birds and raccoons eat them.
P5121083-XL.jpg

Dude, I'm not trying to be offensive in any way, and note that I have been binging on alien/sci-fi movies ... but are you beaming these pics to us from another planet ?

I see yellowish-blue frogs, tree-stump-brown lizards, and now blue crabs :confused: Never seen such color schemes on these creatures before :D

Last edited:

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
Dude, I'm not trying to be offensive in any way, and note that I have been binging on alien/sci-fi movies ... but are you beaming these pics to us from another planet ?

I see yellowish-blue frogs, tree-stump-brown lizards, and now blue crabs :confused: Never seen such color schemes in these animals before :D

Ha, no offense taken ! Nature makes some amazing and weird looking things. I just capture what I see.

inkmich

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2016
Maryland

I see yellowish-blue frogs, tree-stump-brown lizards, and now blue crabs :confused: Never seen such color schemes in these animals before :D

I'm assuming then you've never been to MD where blue crabs are a local delicacy. :)

inkmich

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2016
Maryland
We lived for about 10 years in a pretty rural, forested area . The place was infested with deer . Hoofed Rats IMHO . Good luck keeping Hostas , or pretty much anything else that looks remotely edible to an ungulate . Damn things even wiped out my rose bushes , ate 'em right down to the ground , below the graft line . We had a neighbor who was a bow hunter who would nail them with his crossbow from his deck . Always took care of us with a few pounds of BambiBurger . Kids looked forward to the 'special hamburgers' . Never told them what it was.

I live in the CITY of Baltimore and we too have deer camping out in our back yard on a regular basis. Unfortunately in this regard our property backs up to woods. Our hostas have been totally wiped out this year and the deer are now starting to work on the tiger lilies. :mad: And let us not forget the very real danger of spreading ticks and therefore Lyme disease. @mollyc, I'm liking your slingshot idea since my occasional throwing rocks at them has had no affect at all. And for the record I'm pretty much a let animals live kind of guy but that tick thing and eating my tiger lilies (the hosta, meh) irks me to no end.

My mom was a secretary in an office and several of the guys would go hunting each fall. Occasionally we got to have some venison for dinner when were kids. Not bad.

Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016
I live in the CITY of Baltimore and we too have deer camping out in our back yard on a regular basis. Unfortunately in this regard our property backs up to woods. Our hostas have been totally wiped out this year and the deer are now starting to work on the tiger lilies. :mad: And let us not forget the very real danger of spreading ticks and therefore Lyme disease. @mollyc, I'm liking your slingshot idea since my occasional throwing rocks at them has had no affect at all. And for the record I'm pretty much a let animals live kind of guy but that tick thing and eating my tiger lilies (the hosta, meh) irks me to no end.

My mom was a secretary in an office and several of the guys would go hunting each fall. Occasionally we got to have some venison for dinner when were kids. Not bad.

Yes to all of this. The house next door to us where I took that photo was sold a year ago but no one has moved in yet, so it is essentially abandoned currently (we've met the new owners and they plan to tear it down and rebuild but can't agree on a house plan). But the previous owner did almost no maintenance/gardening on it for the past 10-15 years so it is completely overgrown. My daughter's friend calls it the jungle house. Over the winter nearly a dozen deer lived there, on just a half acre lot. Our town is on the smallish side, but definitely close enough to urban stuff (less than 20 miles to DC proper)....the deer just don't care.
[doublepost=1528896586][/doublepost]
One of the choo choo at Glenfinnan viaduct on Sunday. Lovely weather this time - unlike September!

DSCF0553.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

I know, 2 in a day criminal but for contrast. Here is one of my rotten September shots showing the difference the light makes. Obviously taken from a different location too. o_O
DSCF2468-Edit.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

I love both of these photos and think they easily stand on their own for different reasons. :)

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Yes to all of this. The house next door to us where I took that photo was sold a year ago but no one has moved in yet, so it is essentially abandoned currently (we've met the new owners and they plan to tear it down and rebuild but can't agree on a house plan). But the previous owner did almost no maintenance/gardening on it for the past 10-15 years so it is completely overgrown. My daughter's friend calls it the jungle house. Over the winter nearly a dozen deer lived there, on just a half acre lot. Our town is on the smallish side, but definitely close enough to urban stuff (less than 20 miles to DC proper)....the deer just don't care.
[doublepost=1528896586][/doublepost]

I love both of these photos and think they easily stand on their own for different reasons. :)

Thank you very much. Notice the engine is facing backwards in both of them. Means they are both afternoon shots - twice failed to get moving early enough to catch it going forwards.
[doublepost=1528897106][/doublepost]
Crab legs scattered among the shells on the riverbank. Large birds and raccoons eat them.
P5121083-XL.jpg
Urgh skin crawling... Gorgeous blue hue though
[doublepost=1528897211][/doublepost]

Also if you want the picture post card shot you need to allow 35-45 minutes to walk to the viaduct and up the hill from the carpark. Also for the engine to be facing forward pulling the right way, you need to get the shot in the morning not the afternoon as in the afternoon the engine pulls the train in reverse.

Oh and the coffee isnt the best in the visitor centre.

Reactions: stillcrazyman

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Yep.. and Loch Sheil is behind me in this shot. My daughter tells me that is where Harry first met a dementor? - means nothing to me sorry
[doublepost=1528896430][/doublepost]

Which one's called Diem????

Sadly , Diem isn't in this shot . Rather than loiter around wasting time with the masses , he decided to seize the day and do other things .:rolleyes:

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Great shot! I love the framing.

Thank you Scott. :)

Being a Brookly boy and born not far from the Flatbush section of Brooklyn, the views of both the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges always brings back fond childhood memories. Thank you, Peter.
You're quite welcome Florian. I've lived my entire life in a busy urban centre but Toronto is nothing like NYC. NYC is definitely one on a kind.

Reactions: fcortese
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.