Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Here two of my better products... shot today
IMG_3244s.jpg

Canon 30D, 1/400s f/4.0 ISO3200 36mm

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
So I'm posting this, in fact I registered on this site just to post this, because I want to make a comment/get feedback from people on signatures in photos and other works of art. While I understand digital media is different then other traditional mediums I find it distracting, at times even annoying, when someone puts their signature/copyright mark in big distracting letters anywhere from a 1/2 to an inch and a half from the corner. As a painter I do not want people to be distracted by a signature that stands out and draws attention away from the work they are supposed to be looking at. Not to single anyone out but someone in this thread that comes to mind is Carlos Robles, he takes beautiful pictures but I spend 3/4 of my time staring at his signature cause it is glaring. I can undestand the need to put your signature in a place that can't be easily photoshopped out but in all honesty anyone with even a little photoshop knowledge could remove these sigs. Not that I want to start a flame war, but as an artist myself I wanted to make the comment and see how other people felt about this phenomenon

There are many people who have no photoshop experience, either. Putting a signature on a photo at least derails a few people from trying to pass it off as their own. Likewise, I too post on flickr and having the signature on the electronic copy gives me a level of security and it isnt as bad as having a full on watermark. Remember, the signatures i put on my photos only appear on the ones posted online. When I print them for sale, they have no signature.

I like to show people my work in hopes that someone out there will appreciate it, but at the same time I dont want someone stealing my photo and calling it theirs. I know that even with some PS experience you may be able to take it off but the general community doesnt have that knowledge. I have had a total of 7 of my photos floating over the web saying they were made by someone else. Ever since i started pasting my sig on there I havnt found one. There may be confounds to that argument, but hell, it makes me feel better.

Try and block out that ever so "distracting" sig when looking at the photo, im sure it's not to hard to do; i dont see the big deal. Sorry, but i never intended to make my online copies suitable for desktops, nor do i ever intend to. I'm sorry if the sig bothers you, but too bad; tis life.

BOOSTD

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
"Lets go for a spin!"

"Let's go for a spin!"

Long exposure of Santa Monica Pier ferris wheel.

Attachments

• Night shot of ferris wheel at santa monica pier (long exposure).jpg
    Night shot of ferris wheel at santa monica pier (long exposure).jpg
    994.9 KB · Views: 68

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Another quiet moment...

Another shot of my friend Trisha and a canine friend. This Baja ranch dog she befriended is named Loba. Trisha began a feeding and medical intervention program for Loba and 4 others feral dogs who were living near an abandoned old ranch hacienda near Todos Santos. The affection between them spoke volumes to this observer.

DSC_3292.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/1250 sec
Aperture: f/9.0
Focal Length: 100mm

I liked this immensely from the git-go, but I've gone back again and again and now I just love it! To be honest I want it in a big way as a desktop 'cause it looks wonderful, with the endlessness of the blue and that central meeting of the lips and the pure, unconditional love & affection simply there, to be smiled at. Along with some of Eric's, this is my favourite on this thread for a very long time.

Thanks Carl for your kind words. The above picture continues the theme...:) I will see if I can find a large enough file to serve as a desktop pic from the original scan, or dig the slide out and re-scan it. It just may take a little time, but I'll work on it. And BTW, when are you going to give us some more of your abstracts? I liked them! Cheers!

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Thank you father. Unfortunately(?) I have to settle for 3 bottles of paasij.
( misspelled 'easter egg', brewed by brewery 't IJ from Amsterdam)

OMG, you mean you can't get Guinness in the Netherlands? ..... :eek:
You had better say a few more Hail Mary's .. LOL

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
OMG, you mean you can't get Guinness in the Netherlands? ..... :eek:
You had better say a few more Hail Mary's .. LOL

Of course we can. but this is a christian (???!@)!) country, so the shops are closed on sunday. The only thing I have available are some bottles of Paasij.
I could go to the pub, but that would deprive me of some hours of MR fun...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.