Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
After pleading guilty to a motor vehicle offense, this young offender waits as the judge in Oregon City's municipal court looks over his record before deciding on an appropriate sentence.

SCN0074.jpg

I'm intrigued. If you were to try taking photos in a British court, youi'd be thrown into the cells faster than you could say "O J Simpson"...

Are there no restrictions in US?? :confused:

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland

I love this one, it makes me think of the old Hovis adverts on t.v
"When ah were a lad..."

carver_web.jpg

Artisan
December, 2007.
Nikon D40 + 18-200mm VR​

If you ever go to Cambodia to see the temples around Siem Reap--which everyone should!--I'd suggest a visit to the Artisans of Angkor workshops. The NGO sponsored outfit trains Cambodians in high-quality traditional craft production. Great photo op.s and fantastic gift shop. :)

Freebooter, this is awesome, I love the lighting, and the general tone of the pic.

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
Doune Castle
2352085356_f065c53164_b.jpg

This castle is more famous for being used in Monty Python's Holy Grail. The national trust for Scotland withdrew permission for the crew to film at all it's castles in Scotland so this castle which was privately owned was used to fill in for most of the castle shot's.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Wat Scene

DSC_8020copy.jpg

Wat Scene
December, 2007.
Luang Prabang, Laos.
Nikon D40 + 18-200mm VR​

Taken in one of the many wats (Buhddist temple) in temple crazy L.P..

ps: thanks Steamie, EauBoy!

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I'm intrigued. If you were to try taking photos in a British court, youi'd be thrown into the cells faster than you could say "O J Simpson"...

Are there no restrictions in US?? :confused:

And, I assume, in a British court I'd be presumed guilty until I could somehow convince the court otherwise, right? ;)

I can't speak of a blanket law that affects photography in courts in the U.S. but think it largely depends on the court in question, primarily the judge. (Remember the OJ Simpson murder trial and Judge Ito, and how he loved being on tv...)

Certainly I had permission from the judge, and I took several rolls of film while in court. The subject of my story was the judge, and in most of my shots which also included defendents I made a reasonable attempt to mask their identity. Most of the images were to be made available to a graphic designer who was going to create a photo-illustration for a feature story in a newspaper. I took a few portrait type shots before court was in session, then switched to an old Pentax manual 35mm camera for available light shots later. Less intrusive that way, but I still had to move around and look for good angles. I shot photos for around 10 minutes, then was done. Court lasted 3 hours. It's all about making the right arrangements, and being as fair and honest with the situation as possible. All folks in the court were informed as to what I was doing, and were allowed to opt out if they wanted.

It's amazing how few people chose to opt out. The same thing when I did a story on a local county jail facility and the prisoners all opened up to me and agreed to be photographed for the story.

Hope that answers most of your questions. :)

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
This was taken through the window of my car and I had been taking night pictures the night before so the ISO was really high, but I thought this one turned out alright.
2008-03-21at15-11-42.jpg

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver

Very nice image, Doylem. What kind of film did you use in particular? I'm just wondering because I've been doing ALOT of film photography lately (well actually I've ONLY been doing film photography) and am still really gettign a feel for the medium. I have to say, though, the more I use film the more I yearn after a nice midrange DSLR..

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Very nice image, Doylem. What kind of film did you use in particular? I'm just wondering because I've been doing ALOT of film photography lately (well actually I've ONLY been doing film photography) and am still really gettign a feel for the medium. I have to say, though, the more I use film the more I yearn after a nice midrange DSLR..

Thanks... I only ever used Fuji Velvia transparency film. To be honest, when Fuji decided to stop making the film, I more-or-less gave up photography... until I decided, without much enthusiasm, to go digital. I'm glad I did... :)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
On a Pedistal, Redhead With Really Large Pair and Some Cleavage

Just playing around with some new lights... (yes, I know it's pear.)

Attachments

• pedestal.jpg
    pedestal.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 71

otter

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2006
Darwin, NT
Nice! I bet you still have the smell in your nose. ( I remember I did when I watched the slides I made there.)

Otter,

I went there this past summer with some classmates and we jokingly called the city "Roto-ruin-my-life" because of the sulfur smell. Those boardwalks over the hot springs are pretty enchanting though and I love the way you captured the steam rising up.

Mat

I guess I don't remember the smell being any worse than Yellowstone. I do remember all the nasty looking floaties in the unfiltered water at the public hot spring spa I went to. I don't think it was particularly unhygienic but it was kinda gross looking.

This was in Queenstown New Zealand

2323553152_f4dc873f6c_o.jpg

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
I've been stalking these threads for months...here's my first contribution (rather Mac-ish)

Amazing photos by everyone btw

dsc0004ou8.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.