Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
As usual, amazing pics by everyone! From landscapes to portraits, the variety of shots here is incredible! However, there is a serious lack of bug pics in this thread :p

Taken today. Canon 400D + 100mm macro + ring lite.
1/200, F9, ISO 400, handheld.

I loved this pic so much that I'm going to make a big print for my bedroom (or my lab! :D)

Click on the image for a 1200x1600 pic. This is just a resize of the original file.

Attachments

• Dragonfly head-on.jpg
    Dragonfly head-on.jpg
    923.1 KB · Views: 166

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
As usual, amazing pics by everyone! From landscapes to portraits, the variety of shots here is incredible! However, there is a serious lack of bug pics in this thread :p

Taken today. Canon 400D + 100mm macro + ring lite.
1/200, F9, ISO 400, handheld.

I loved this pic so much that I'm going to make a big print for my bedroom (or my lab! :D)

Click on the image for a 1200x1600 pic. This is just a resize of the original file.

Fantastic bug shot dllavaneras, Freebooter used to post similar wonderful bug macro's. :eek:

Chillijam

macrumors member
Just to prove that it's not all about location, this shot was taken not too far from Doylem's stomping ground. It was also taken on a Nikon D1x that I borrowed from my friend, so it's not all about the gear either. I have a lot to learn, I think, but I quite like this shot.

snowOnTheCycleWay.jpg

I'd love to know how to make the limited colours in this picture pop a bit more. If anyone feels like giving me some pointers, I'd appreciate it.

By the way, the "noise" is falling snow - It may have been beter for the shot if I waited for it to stop falling, but at the time I took it I thought it looked pretty good. :S

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I'd love to know how to make the limited colours in this picture pop a bit more. If anyone feels like giving me some pointers, I'd appreciate it.
I've had a quick look at this and consider that any adjustments have to be done with extreme care. It's so easy to destroy the dull, gloomy, winter atmosphere which, in my opinion, is the strength of this photograph.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Just to prove that it's not all about location, this shot was taken not too far from Doylem's stomping ground. It was also taken on a Nikon D1x that I borrowed from my friend, so it's not all about the gear either. I have a lot to learn, I think, but I quite like this shot.

snowOnTheCycleWay.jpg

By the way, the "noise" is falling snow - It may have been beter for the shot if I waited for it to stop falling, but at the time I took it I thought it looked pretty good. :S

You can increase the saturation a wee bit, but, if you ain't got the light, you won't have the colour either. Or, rather, the colours will be muted and dull... as befits a wintry day in the north of England... ;)

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
Not my most amazing shot but I think it looks really interesting.

Attachments

• DSC_2872.jpg
    DSC_2872.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 68

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Hi, This is my first photo I have uploaded to 'Photo of The Day' and it was taken with a basic Sony T100 point and shoot camera. If anybody has feedback (I reckon I can take some 'criticism) especially on saturation and exposure etc. I would appreciate any advice.

Grasshopper1.JPG

that thing looks huge!!! How big was it?

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
flinthills.jpg

One handheld RAW // HDR // Shutter: 1/160 // Aperture: f/22.6 // Focal Length: 17 mm // ISO 100

Something a bit different this time - a rural landscape instead of a cityscape. I took this today (Sunday afternoon) while driving across rural Kansas heading home.

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
flinthills.jpg

One handheld RAW // HDR // Shutter: 1/160 // Aperture: f/22.6 // Focal Length: 17 mm // ISO 100

Something a bit different this time - a rural landscape instead of a cityscape. I took this today (Sunday afternoon) while driving across rural Kansas heading home.

Brilliant! This is my new 2nd favorite photo of yours. The statue one is still my favorite. :)

MrLubeMan

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2007
Living the dream
1st submission

Please tell me what you think. Just trying to learn my new Lumix DMC FZ18. Please give suggestions on how I can improve.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Tulips at Easter.jpg
    Tulips at Easter.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 62

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah

Is that sorta the same effect a red filter would give B&W film?

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast

snowOnTheCycleWay.jpg

I really like this shot. I think the snow against the gray sky gives a sort of muddy effect on the tone which looks perfect for the overall mood of the shot. It makes me feel very cold, yet very emotionally drawn to the feeling of isolation in a weird way... anyway - very nice.

flinthills.jpg

Definitely has that old red filter black 'n white look to it. The super wide angle (you're shooting full-frame I assume..?) gives a surreal spacial effect to the shot which works, even though the angles seem all over the place, house, horizon, etc. The whole thing just works. Too bad about the electric lines, but I guess they're part of the world too..

digger_900.jpg

Digger
March, 2008.
Nikon D300 + Nikkor 16-85mm VR​

Very HDR painterly looking, especially the top half. I love the layers that can be seen in the sand in the lower half of the shot. Great composition and somewhat ironic statement in this landscape shot. BTW, your last few shots with the almost monotonal qualities and apparent graininess, almost like some b/w films really got my attention as they were very well done, and I'd really like to know what your technique for them was, if it's something you care to share. :)

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I looked down and saw in horror that I had setting on f/10 in aperture priority for the crowd scenes at the RonJon's EasterFest National Kidney Foundation 44th annual event... but had actually been shooting the men's pro heats which usually I would go wider aperture and faster shutters...:eek: Many blurry boards the result. This one, however, I think benefits from the extra length of exposure. I like it.:)

_1130139.jpg

1/500 seconds too slow to freeze a surfer
f/10
ISO 250

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.