Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
It might be creative and interesting to add a little cardomom to your bread, or when cooking rice, or in whatever else you're cooking. It might make it better by treating the senses to the unusual and slightly exotic flavors of the unfamiliar, but... big "but," here... it's easy to go overboard. What's the rule? Who knows exactly what that amount is, but the limit definitely exists. Too much ruins the effect, maybe the entire dish. Everyone has their own limits, but eventually we all do reach ours. That's a fact. (feel free to substitute the use of cardomom in my example to hot, fresh chili peppers... mmmm! My limit's pretty high there...:D)

Ahem... I claim copyright on chilli-based analogies... ;)

But, seriously, it's an analogy that holds up. If one pinch of chilli is good, that doesn't necessarily mean that two pinches are twice as good.

When my mum made 'curry', there was no chilli at all; it was just regular gravy... but with currents in it! English curry... :confused:

mitchcook

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Partridge

IMG_7368.JPG

Camera: Canon Rebel XT
Shutter Speed: 1/500 sec.
Lens Aperture: F/5.6
Focal Length: 200 mm
Full View: Here.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
another gorgeous shot Doylem ! I really love your work.

Heres mine for today.
2361587837_86986b9313_b.jpg

Thanks, Steamie. I like your pic (that's my kind of light... ;)), but I think i'd be tempted to crop a little tighter. If you trim off the fence on the left edge, and the trees on the far right, the eye is drawn more naturally to the boats and clouds (rather than being 'pulled' to the left of the frame, then to the right, then back again). It would accentuate the restful feel of the pic...

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
another gorgeous shot Doylem ! I really love your work.

Heres mine for today.
Knapps Sunrise

Thanks EssentialParado & pdxflint :D

Steamie, I am increasingly becoming intrigued with your work. This photo is great however, if the resolutions permits, I think you should crop out the tress and the fence in order to allow a more amicable and warm mood.

Here's another beach shot. I am not sure if it has been posted before.

"Sanctuary"

2307279954_0701b7a5d5_o.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
There are some really nice submissions lately! I can't mention them all.

IMG_7368.JPG

Camera: Canon Rebel XT
Shutter Speed: 1/500 sec.
Lens Aperture: F/5.6
Focal Length: 200 mm
Full View: Here.

Very nice wildlife shot. Birds hiding in camoflage are always interesting, and you caught this one.

Grasmere from Loughrigg Fell...

grasmerela0.jpg

In a word, "stunning." But, now if you had just cropped that rock right there in the middle foreground ...:D :p
Heres mine for today.
Knapps Sunrise

Thanks EssentialParado & pdxflint :D

You're welcome. This shot is lovely, great light. I like it as wide as it is because I think the shoreline edges help define the scene. I don't mind my eye wandering around a bit, in fact I like it. A teensy bit of flare it seems on the background hill below the light, but even with bare eyes that happens. Maybe the horizon is a bit too dead center... but, I love it!

I really like the composition of this shot with all the empty space and the boat heading out of the picture. It makes it more interesting and eye catching to me.

BOOSTD

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
"Easter Sunday"

Attachments

• girl running through fountain at balboa park.jpg
    girl running through fountain at balboa park.jpg
    934.5 KB · Views: 105

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
Thank you very much Doylem, Solracselbor, EssentialParado
I can see what you mean about the crop, I do tend to not be decisive enough at times when it comes to things like cropping. It's probably subliminal "I paid for every pixel on this sensor and I'm going to make sure I use them" ;)

Here's another shot taken at the same time .
I'm not sure if the crop is right in this one either, maybe too much space at the top or left ??? and I can't decide if the line of light from the lens flare is too distracting or not. I'm open to suggestions.

2362422366_478b031c38_b.jpg

fett

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
So many beautiful landscapes, great job everyone. I haven't had a chance to get out of the city lately so I've been playing around with lighting and still life.

Here is one I did tonight.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
So many beautiful landscapes, great job everyone. I haven't had a chance to get out of the city lately so I've been playing around with lighting and still life.

Here is one I did tonight.

"Sweet" photo. Looks like a few of those M&Ms fell here...

img_0004.JPG.jpg

Model: Canon PowerShot A95
Exposure: 1/25 sec
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 7.8mm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.